• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Handle bar mount kills a cell phone ( Any Stories)

Pablo

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Lupa
So I just came back from one day of the Hill country 500, all my pictures were really ugly (Well except for the ones at the rider's meeting) Seems my phone ( Moto G4+) can't focus.

Funny thing, this is the second one that has died in this special way. The rest of the phone works fine, but the main camera makes a buzzing noise and doesn't focus. I really think this might be the vibration on the Ram handle bar mount.

Any one else have this problem?
Anyone have a handle bar mount on a bike for a long time without a problem?

Fry's has been super nice about exchanging the phone once and offering a second time (which I think I'll take them up on). I'll give them an A+ for customer service, not so much the Moto G4+

Paul Lupa (AKA Pablo)

What mount are you using? There are a few RAM phone mounts out there. But, yes, vibration can be hard on devices not designed for it. Mine tends to be in a tank bag or a pocket when I'm offroad.

Phone Locker

QzkwQzE0NTI1NzhFNjA3NUIwQjE6ODc3ZDNlNTBiMGY2YWMzOTg3MjE0NDFkZDEwMzc4NjQ6Ojo6OjA=.jpg

I've killed an iPod, a car specific GPS and a cell phone on solid handlebar mounts. Vibration is a killer.

Yeah, this mount holds the phone on a fairly long 'arm' and I'm about 90% sure this is what killed the focusing ability of the phone. I'm sure whatever tiny little mechanism does the focusing getting pounded for hours could make it non-functional. Mostly looking for confirmation that others have had the issue. Maybe others have had the camera on their phone crap out and didn't suspect the vibration as the culprit. I can tell you that I'm not putting the next phone in the RAM cradle !

Might want to confirm that the Motorola and any future phones are MIL-STD-810 certified. At least that way you will know they are tested before they hit the market. I've been pleased with the durability of my Samsung Rugby Pro. MotoTex went swimming with his in his pocket and it kept right on working. A different phone may perform differently.

The two times I killed my cell phone while mounted on the m/c was due to the power plug vibrating around inside the phone's power port. On my S4 galaxy, the whole phone fried out. The S5, only the power port fried out, so it was just a $20 power port card that needed replacement. Still, that left me w/o GPS for the whole duration of a 5 day ride.

Since then, I've gone to an S6 phone for a couple reasons:

1) waterproof/water resistant body . no more special case to keep water out.

2) wireless charge

Im using the ram mount cell phone:
w-830837-611x900.jpg

and this wafer thin wireless charger (glue'd to the ram mount):
51uQz4B9SLL.jpg

That ram mount does a great job in pushing the back side of my phone tight against the wireless charging pad. 100% charge transfer, @ a high 1.5 amp rate.

This problem w/ is now history.

Back