• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Big Bend National Park - Overlay & GPS Tracks

Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Last Name
C
This might come in handy for some of you.
I've been looking for a comprehensive set of GPS tracks covering all the legal roads in BBNP and have not been able to find one.
I've also been looking for an official Geo-refererenced PDF map like many other national parks have, but; no luck.

So, I made a set of tracks and an overlay for myself.

Please note that I did the best I could, working off of the BBNP visitors map as well as information from their website. I may have missed a road or two, and may have mislabeled some as well. Portions of the park map is less than crystal clear when it comes to roads and names. Some of the distances may be slightly off since I tweaked some of the routes after entering the information on them. They won't be off by much though. Probably a couple 10ths of a mile at most.

In any case, feel free to use them. At your own risk of course, and remember how much you paid for them! I have not proofed any of them yet. I've only rode my pavement only road bike in the park so far. That will change next month when me and a couple buddies go.

These will/should open up in Google Earth. If you need to change them to some other format for your GPS, such as the GPX format, I've been using GPS Visualizer for a few years with great success. http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input

The overlay is not as precise as I'd like but it's very close and allows you to better identify the underlying roads. Using it in Google Earth, you can adjust the opacity to see through it to see the underlying terrain, roads, and other features.

If anyone has a better set they'd like to share, please do! If anyone finds glaring mistakes, please point them out to me so I can fix them.

Enjoy!
Chris

Attachments

• BBNP Visitor Map Overlay.kmz
    1.4 MB · Views: 745
  • BBNP Tracks.kmz
    199.3 KB · Views: 688
VERY nice. Posted the tracks to my own maps / tracks site here. But the Visitor Map overlay in Google Earth is very good...

VERY nice. Posted the tracks to my own maps / tracks site here. But the Visitor Map overlay in Google Earth is very good...

I like how you have that set up for easy one-click conversion to GPX.

I've noticed a few places that are not as good as they should be and I'll be fixing those up after my eyeballs heal from doing them.

I'll update the original post when I do.

Do you happen to have naps of BB Ranch State Park?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am hoping to make the journey to Big bend in early 2019. I have lived in Texas since 1955 but have never visited that area. Can you spell Pitiful? Pathetic?...Looking forward to the info. rickhirsch@yahoo.com
pleas send the info.
In my defense, I have been to all but 8 states. Does Rhode island really count??? rh

I am hoping to make the journey to Big bend in early 2019. I have lived in Texas since 1955 but have never visited that area. Can you spell Pitiful? Pathetic?...Looking forward to the info. rickhirsch@yahoo.com
pleas send the info.
In my defense, I have been to all but 8 states. Does Rhode island really count??? rh

Check your email, Rick.

Back