• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Software for creating a route that can load onto GPS

Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Last Name
Taggart
I want to create a route somewhere and then download it as a GPX so that I can load it onto my GPS. Anyone have an idea of the best one?

When I took the RawHyde course in California, they showed an example, and the only thing I did not like about it was that you needed to click a whole bunch of points for a section of road.

Example - If I have a road that is 20 miles long between two towns or intersections, one would think that you could select a start and end point and the whole road section would get added. But what I saw was you had to keep clicking around curves and everything to do the route. It seems like if I was going to go 1,000 miles, it would take forever. So if there is a software out there that speeds that process up, please let me know.

Do those allow you to "draw" on dirt roads that are not on the map as well? For example, I can make some routes in GoogleMaps, but as far as offroad/dirt roads that are not roads on the map (but are on the aerial), you can't do it.

It is a Garmen for Adventure bikes, but when I get home I can post the model if that helps.

Ok. I have a Garmin Zumo 660LM and just use Garmin Basecamp. Granted, the map I got with the unit isn't perfect. I want to say that Basecamp can create a .gpx, but if not it should be able to load the route onto your unit.

If it's a Garmin unit, then Basecamp is likely the best bet. You can download Basecamp for free and it will use all of the features in the map set in your unit. Keep in mind the learning curve is steep with Basecamp, almost as steep as learning to make GPX files in some other software and importing them into a Garmin without it. (People will tell you they do it all the time, but they may not be remembering how long it took them to learn how to do it, or not know what they are missing that is available through Basecamp.) A good starting point is Hails Intro to Basecamp thread.

Your ability to plot way points across open country will be dependent on the map in your specific Garmin unit. For example City Navigator will not work very well with off road or dirt roads. Garmin TOPO will, but it will not provide the turn by turn features of City Navigator. Your "Preferences" will also change how your map works and what features are available.

Last edited:
The specific model is the Garmen BMW Motorrad Navigator Adventure. Yes, I overpaid but the airline lost one of my panniers on a trip last month with my boots and pants in it and I might have "had other equipment" in there so the money I am getting covered a few extras.

I will check out basecamp. I did learn a lot on google maps yesterday and can create an entire route and load it but like I said, it does not seem to allow me to do anything off-road.

I used to use a program called "Tyre" http://www.tyretotravel.com. It uses Google Maps to create the route, then converts it to a route on your GPS.

I haven't used it lately, because the cheap GPS I have on my bike now doesn't support routes.

There's a free version, the one I use, and it works fine for Garmin GPSeses that take routing information.

So if I want to use these gpx files do I have to get a garmin or is there a way I can use my iPhone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem with the iphones, tablets, etc is that if you are doing serious off-roading you may not have a cell signal, and therefore no gps. You can get somehow units to work in tandem with the cell phone displays.

I have not tested it, but I believe (OK, was told) you can select off-road paths using Google maps by selecting the little "person walking" icon for your travel method.

The problem with the iphones, tablets, etc is that if you are doing serious off-roading you may not have a cell signal, and therefore no gps. You can get somehow units to work in tandem with the cell phone displays.

Yes, but there are plenty apps that will cache the maps for offline phone use. I have a low-res set of maps for the whole US and detailed maps of all of Texas on my phone using Locus. It's not the friendliest app to use, but it's amazingly functional.

So, just draw maps in Google Maps (or anything else), export to a file, then import into Locus (via dropbox or download from a link to the phone, etc).

Locus has many map types built in, including USGS topo which can be handy off road.

Back