• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Anyone Have HO Slot Car Suggestions?

Reaction score
Gonna get the Grandson an HO slot car set for Christmas. In my day, the early 70s and my kid's days the late 80s we had AFX sets. The biggest problem was the little lock tabs on the track would always break off.

Anyone have any recent experience with these sets or some of the other brands?

Man Chris I have not thought about this for long time. I have some older sets from when I was a kid but I have not bought one in maybe 10 years or so. If I remember right the newer one was exactly like the much older ones. I have a glow in the dark one some where in the garage that I played with many moons ago. One brand was Cox and AFX. I need to check to see if they are still out there. I bet like HO trains,the tracks may not have changed or altered much. I bet any real toy store would have them. Toys-R-Us at one time had them. Mine came for Montgomery Wards,Gibsons Discount Center,or JC Pennys I bet. Mine were mainly TYCO or Aurora brands.

Well I guess my question was not real clear. I have found several on Amazon, but other than the AFX I have no experience with the other brands. So I guess my question should have been more like, "...does anyone have any experience with the recent HO slot car brands/sets...?"

Well I guess my question was not real clear. I have found several on Amazon, but other than the AFX I have no experience with the other brands. So I guess my question should have been more like, "...does anyone have any experience with the recent HO slot car brands/sets...?"

Maybe ten years ago I bought one maybe Tyco brand. Nothing recent but there is not many I bet to select from. Used I would buy the Tyco but that is because most of mine are that brand. They might not even be in business anymore. Wish I could help you more. Good luck,hope which ever set you get that he enjoys it. KP

:tab I still have all my AFX cars. I haven't had the track for maybe 30 years or more. I bought most of the cars in the mid to late 70s. I've no idea if they would even work still. Most of the tires have long since dry rotted. AFX was the only brand I ever messed with. TYCO was real big at that time, but none of my buds had them. We all bought AFX so we could make bigger tracks, but that required special hand controls because of the added length of track.

The others I see at Amazon are "Life-Like Racing". I see where you can buy a section of adapter track to match up to AFX.

AFX is we I've always had in the past. My only gripe was that the locking tabs broke all the time.

Life-like is a cheaper brand. In HO trains their stuff is not as nice as other brands in my opinion. Stick with Tyco or AFX.

I still have my old Aruora and AFX cars. Used to have track on a piece of 4x8 ply. Bought a new AFX track a few years back but still in the box. Carerra brand might be compatible withe AFX.

Got this

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003MUEPNS/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]Amazon.com: AFX 24 Hour Champions Mega G Set with Tri-Powe AFX70286: Toys & Games[/ame]

Decided to stay with what I know.

Back