• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Looking for advice on improving suspension for 2013 Tiger 800 XC

syne7

Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Thomas
Hello,

I've had my bike for just over a year and am ready to invest in some suspension.

Here is a description of my riding needs:

70% Joy riding/twisties such as Nameless Rd/Lime Creek Rd in Austin.
10% Riding the bike to get places for the fun of it (Movies etc...)
10% Light off road (fire roads/trails etc...)
10% Touring

My dirt ratio may go up a bit. My 15yr old daughter just got a KLX250S (we've put 500 miles on it in a week).

I weight 285 lbs.... 305 with gear, and 340-350 with touring gear. The bike has wolfman racks, OEM Engine Guards, and packed tool tube.

I've seen several options. I will list them from least invasive/expensive to highest with my thoughts.

1. Upgrade with progressive springs front and Rear.

Touratech as a kit for $359 (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...-800XC-2011-on)
ndasd

2. Next level would be front springs and then a full shock upgrade (http://www.touratech-usa.com/Store/3...h-Tiger-800-XC)

If I go this route I am likely to get the dial in adjuster.

3. Final level would see to be #2 plus having the front valves adjusted.

I am willing to spend money on this upgrade, but don't want to throw money away.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I was drawn to Touratech because they seem to be a known brand for these bikes. However, I understand they are new.

Thanks for your time, help and recommendations. I am open to other brands as well.

Thanks,

Jason

I would start with springs for your weight and adjusting rebound and compression within the limits of the stock suspension first.

Evaluate what it still does that you don't like (say kicks in the rear over square edge stuff, front blows through the travel and then feels harsh, front to harsh on square edge ledges and rocks, rear is too springy after a g out or other full compression..ect ect)

Then work with your chosen suspension supplier/ tuner to rid the suspension of those unwanted rates.

The key to getting good results from a supplier or tuner is the rider being able to articulate what is unlinked about the bike suspension in its current form.. Not the tech like what's wrong or what it needs, just accurate description of what it is doing now you like, and want gone

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. Any recommendations on suppliers?

Thank you for the response. Any recommendations on suppliers?

I know several suppliers for parts, and a few folks myself included that can do the work

Race tech can supply a DIY level of parts and so long as your honest with the calculators in imputing weights and how the bike will be used the results are ok..
But not really a custom set up, to get max performance you have to work with a tuner.. Off the shelf canned valves, springs and shims stacks will be much better then stock.. But custom they are not.

....I don't personally know any suspension tuner that knows your bike platform well.

Last edited:
Racetech would be my first stop. If I had more to spend, custom shocks and forks from Ohlins or Wilbers would be next.

RaceTec is what I plan to use in my XC. ~$650 for the rear installed and ~$1,100 for the front. It isn't cheap but far better than new shocks and it will be 100% customized to me and my riding style.

Are you doing the work yourself? If so I would suggest racetech. If not I would take my bike to Road & Track in San Antonio he is very talented at suspension set up

Back