• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

82 CM450E

Marc B

Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Last Name
Briggs
I went to pick up a work bench from a Man that I make deliveries to from time to time, awhile back He showed me this bike that He got from a storage action and when I got there today I walked over to it and told him one of these days I'm gonna beat you out of that bike and He say's "I tell you what, I'll let you have it for $??? I brought it home, it's been in storage since 92, no keys, no title, if nothing else it's a bike for the Grand kids to sit on and pretend, it was covered in dust and after washing it off she is starting to reveal her self as being in nice condition, who knows why it was parked in 92 but at some point I'll find out, the tires don't even have weather cracks, no cracks in the intake boots either, no rat nests, need a key to open the tank, and so it takes it's place in the front of the garage.
026_zpsuuw2ekju.jpg

Last edited:
Re: 82 CM450E on the cheap.

incredibly faithful reliable bike, I had its elder brother the CM400.
ground down the pegs on it riding like a maniac. brakes not the greatest but not to bad.

the only thing that ever really goes wrong with them, and not very often at that, is the charge coils fail and they wont start.
the charge coils are part of the stator so it all has to be replaced.

far and away the vast majority of these, and most other bikes end up sitting for so long due to life getting in the way.

please save it and return it to the road where it can provide you with good old basic riding joy.

Nice find! Always fun when something like that falls in your lap

Thanks guys, I hope to get her running again, may take awhile but we'll get there.

If the charge coil fails (it fries itself) you can strip off the old windings and wrap a few hundred rounds of 40-gage varnished wire laid in more varnish. This wont be enough to make the spark BUT it serves as a Trigger to run a separate coil on a CDI circuit. Single coil- double fire.
I had a CM 400 A (automatic so the wife could learn). Tops out at 80-85. Too light for highway long haul but a great boulevard bike.

Last edited:

The standard shift model will go 100. Don't ask me how I know.:thumb:

The feelers on the pegs can be ground down so far that the rubber actually will fall off! It fun to grind the bolt off that holds the metal feeler to the peg. They handled very well for their time.

Hondas have a three digit code for their keys. If you can get access to the ignition cylinder itself, somewhere on the side of it will be that code. Any locksmith can cut a key using that code or you can order one from Honda. If you can show proof of ownership at a Honda dealer, they can order a key from the VIN.

Thanks Valker, at some point I'll remove the ignition (two bolts and a plug) and take it to the good lock smith we have not too far away.

Trade you a slightly used teenager straight across for it.:rofl:

If the charge coil fails (it fries itself) you can strip off the old windings and wrap a few hundred rounds of 40-gage varnished wire laid in more varnish. This wont be enough to make the spark BUT it serves as a Trigger to run a separate coil on a CDI circuit. Single coil- double fire.
I had a CM 400 A (automatic so the wife could learn). Tops out at 80-85. Too light for highway long haul but a great boulevard bike.

Had a CM400A in a year or so ago. Pickup coil was bad. Discontinued item, nobody sells one aftermarket, Ricks said they cant rebuild them. Finally sourced a used one off fleabay...

Welcome to the club... Eventually I will be getting around to mine, gonna do some bob/Flat track variation... Mght sell it, might keep it, as always it depends on how much money and how much work I put into it. One of these days I am going to fix up a bike and actually make money on it but honestly I think I am kidding myself when I try to convince myself that is why I do it, lol...

JioV1pmhFy4Q7xbxhBGGoTT-w2beBxDthKBXOXNze607xoTEgC2YzKifgKSwkFhu3F8C6PWCSNOcsG6f0o=w1274-h955-no.png

vQ1AGPw-CQYoNC81dAOu9d_7yIobNqex8S5CFQ2F_KCJQYxLoSqDI1343znQfmriWwgoliN9HihVwf4jwV=w1274-h955-no.png

Kickstand Prophet, all the chrome is in really decent shape, as we've discussed before. I'm thinking of doing a flat track tail on it and cutting up a different fender for the front (Gonna scuff and power black) so if you are still interested in the good chrome let me know. The front blinker stems, I can't tell if they are bent or if they were supposed to be tweaked like the are but I'll get some more pictures on my google photo page over the next couple days and maybe someone can chime in. Been great wrenching weather the past few days and I am chilling at home on "Staycation". :rider:

Welcome to the club... Eventually I will be getting around to mine, gonna do some bob/Flat track variation... Mght sell it, might keep it, as always it depends on how much money and how much work I put into it. One of these days I am going to fix up a bike and actually make money on it but honestly I think I am kidding myself when I try to convince myself that is why I do it, lol...

JioV1pmhFy4Q7xbxhBGGoTT-w2beBxDthKBXOXNze607xoTEgC2YzKifgKSwkFhu3F8C6PWCSNOcsG6f0o=w1274-h955-no.png

vQ1AGPw-CQYoNC81dAOu9d_7yIobNqex8S5CFQ2F_KCJQYxLoSqDI1343znQfmriWwgoliN9HihVwf4jwV=w1274-h955-no.png

Kickstand Prophet, all the chrome is in really decent shape, as we've discussed before. I'm thinking of doing a flat track tail on it and cutting up a different fender for the front (Gonna scuff and power black) so if you are still interested in the good chrome let me know. The front blinker stems, I can't tell if they are bent or if they were supposed to be tweaked like the are but I'll get some more pictures on my google photo page over the next couple days and maybe someone can chime in. Been great wrenching weather the past few days and I am chilling at home on "Staycation". :rider:

Check the headlight bucket. They are plastic and break every crash nearly. Guess how I know.:trust: The turn signals are most likely good but the bucket is cracked.

KP, the headlight bucket is the plastic one and it is broken but it matter little because I was going to replace it with an aftermarket CB/SV style anyways and black it all out. Probably going to swap out the stock gauges and dash bits for a Trailtech Vapor and swap some front suspension components on from a more modern bike. Back suspension will see some new coil overs probably, but I am still a ways off from finishing my DR and my NT650 and I have promised myself both of those will be rideable before I put the CM on the lift...

Non related, deleted.

Last edited:

Had a CM400A in a year or so ago. Pickup coil was bad. Discontinued item, nobody sells one aftermarket, Ricks said they cant rebuild them. Finally sourced a used one off fleabay...

its not that Ricks couldn't do it, they didn't want to do it.
there are instructions and videos online that show you how to do it or there are companies that have stepped up to do it like this one.
http://www.50highwaycycle.com/stators-sparts.htm

yeah, once a bike starts to get to the point where the oem parts sources dry up it either takes someone with the willingness to work around or they will tell you they can't.... It's why I just learned to fix it myself a long time ago...

its not that Ricks couldn't do it, they didn't want to do it.
there are instructions and videos online that show you how to do it or there are companies that have stepped up to do it like this one.
http://www.50highwaycycle.com/stators-sparts.htm

You misunderstood. The stator can be rebuilt but the pickup coil cannot. FYI, ricks will rebuild ANY stator if you send it to them but they could not match up a pickup coil(small black box that the rotor passes over which is usually sold with stator)

Last edited:

Got a pair of keys made, minor progress.

Last edited:

you might just need to check gear position or if that is the honda matic then perhaps the parking brake gizmo has to be engaged? And Yes 12 volt

Back