• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Four-Wheeling in Colorado & NM - 2016 Edition

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
Our (wifey & me) vacation came late this year, due to multiple family issues. Finally, on October 1, we left on a trip originally planned for late June. Just so you know, the Rocky Mountains get a tad cold in October.

On Day 1, we drove to Raton & stayed overnight at the Super 8. I ran into these two fellows, Randy Wallingford & I didn’t get his buddy’s name, on FJRs. They were headed for Mexican Hat. Not sure if they made that or not, but I did see on FB that they covered a bunch of western miles. Randy, if you've joined TWT, sound off.
DSC_1459_zpsthgeaauv.jpg

By the next afternoon, we were camped in Rocky Mountain National Park; it was more crowded than I’ve ever seen it. Would you believe a 30-minute line just to flash my Old-Guy card and drive in!

A highlight of RMNP is always a drive over Trail Ridge Road, elevation 12K feet & some change. It was clear that there’d been some weather up there, but we chose to go.
DSC_1486_zpswqgptuv0.jpg

Surprise. There was lots of ice above 10,000 feet. At the summit, it was 21* with blowing snow. I was grateful for my 4WD and heated seats.
DSC_1474_zps3msmzujr.jpg

I ran into a couple of guys up there on GS1200s. They shrugged off the weather. Then I noticed their South Dakota plates. I was so cold, I didn’t have the presence of mind to snap their pictures. But I did take this shot at Milner Pass.
DSC_1473_zps5piiexk0.jpg

We made the Grand Loop – down through the west side of the park, through Grandby, and eventually back up through Nederland. I took this picture somewhere close to Grand Lake.
DSC_1479_zpsaxrot2xd.jpg

We had lunch in Granby at this café, which doubles as local hipster hangout and municipal library. I had an “elk bratwurst” sausage. Good, but it could have been Eckridge sausage for all I could tell.
DSC_1480_zps0cdxhrcm.jpg

One morning, I made the hike up to Cub Lake. The aspens were kind enough to provide me this golden path.
DSC_1494_zpss52fwt9y.jpg

Cub Lake is never the most photogenic spot in the park. A recent fire made it even less so.
DSC_1499_zps4zgyh1qe.jpg

Back in camp, the elk were grazing in Moraine Park at dusk. You can see the lead bull in the foreground at the left.
DSC_1514_zpsuqwhpzgv.jpg

The next morning, surprise, it snowed overnight. Not heavily in the campground at 7,800 ft, just a nice confectioner’s sugarcoating.
DSC_1518_zpswowgbaxu.jpg

DSC_1519_zpscbqbow73.jpg

We decided to head up to Bear Lake, some 1500 feet higher. It was snowing heavily up there, meaning (1) it was beautiful and (2) most of the tourists stayed away. We mostly had the lake to ourselves.
DSC_1521_zpsqojeopro.jpg

I think there’s a Robert Frost poem that goes with this:
DSC_1523_zpsytayixqp.jpg

I was standing up on a bench, framing this picture, when somebody spoke behind me. He was a professional photographer, and he said “I like your composition.” As a rank amateur, I’ll take any compliment I can get.
DSC_1528_zpspksjv25q.jpg

I like the contrast of the fall color & the snowy muted tones.
DSC_1529_zpsft9jrrpd.jpg

We also stopped at Sprague Lake.
DSC_1535_zpsfjgqj7l4.jpg

DSC_1538_zpsdkzo3miw.jpg

DSC_1539_zps5sw9ujrs.jpg

DSC_1542_zpsmnukuhoj.jpg

I want this Christmas tree!
DSC_1544_zpsnmqnyqqp.jpg

I lived in the Bavarian Alps when I was a high school kid. Days & places like this really hit my nostalgia button.
DSC_1548_zpstxe2xqct.jpg

Somebody who walked the lake earlier left this little joke…
DSC_1552_zpsvkan6iof.jpg

October snow doesn’t stay long, and the next day was clear and warmish. I found this big fellow sunning himself.
DSC_1565_zps0zquyh8w.jpg

And there were lots of mulies.
DSC_1580_zpsbblg1zn2.jpg

One day, we drove down to Estes Park (just outside RMNP). My kids and grandkids, recent transplants to the Denver area, drove up & met us. This is Witten (6 y/o) and Reese (4 y/o). Yes, I know – my grandkids are cuter than your grandkids, but I’ll try to remain humble.
DSC_1587_zpsm4glmeaf.jpg

Here’s the family. My daughter, Rebecca, on left, wife Jan on right, grandies in foreground.
DSC_1594_zpszymp16wj.jpg

I walked into one shop and saw this rack of tie-dies. Now I know where Rod buys his wardrobe. :lol2:
DSC_1589_zpsvd4ham7n.jpg

The next day, we broke camp & headed to the city for a warm bed, shower, and to borrow our kids’ laundry room. This is the skyline of Centennial, CO, where our kids live. And it’ll be our home one day when we’re no longer caregivers.
DSC_1601_zps1ff6uixc.jpg

And why (besides the mountains & the curvy roads) do I want to move to Colorado? Need I say more?
DSC_1456_zps6ae44kr9.jpg

Eventually, we wore out our welcome, and started our homeward swing. Next stop, Cimarron Canyon State Park, NM.
DSC_1604_zpswvdpgxjz.jpg

The canyon was in fall color. Very few aspen there, but lots of oak trees in brilliant yellows and oranges.
DSC_1609_zps1kkewezk.jpg

DSC_1616_zpsvabrugqs.jpg

This rock formation is called “the Palisades.”
DSC_1619_zpsjwgzg1wj.jpg

Beauty aside, Cimarron Canyon is also a great motorcycling road. Drew (Kickstand-Prophet) and I passed through last June on the way back from Coyote Creek.
DSC_1621_zpsu7dtaxpz.jpg

DSC_1626_zpsv5b8cbg7.jpg

My one & only vanity shot for the trip.
DSC_1632_zpsiw1qmeam.jpg

This young buck was a regular in the campground.
DSC_1638_zpsgkmit6n0.jpg

Bobcat Pass, near Red River. Not really that much fun on a bike because the pavement is pretty rough.
DSC_1647_zpsajgwofs9.jpg

I found these museum pieces just outside Eagle Nest.
DSC_1649_zps7f5xhqns.jpg

I thought about doing a B/W artsie shot. But naw, I’m a color guy all the way.
DSC_1651_zpskljgzzdz.jpg

On our last day, I took a hike up Clear Creek. Lots of mini-falls like this one.
DSC_1653_zpsfa25ty5h.jpg

The path was rough & rocky, & I was wearing cheapo Walmart walking shoes. So I walked in about 2 ½ miles, called it a day, and headed back down.
DSC_1656_zps3ghgrdsp.jpg

Found this old log that nature had turned into a flume.
DSC_1661_zpsazznlgj5.jpg

A nice glamour shot of the river.
DSC_1663_zpsvvbl9jaf.jpg

One last shot of the Palisades,
DSC_1666_zpsrjnlhvgc.jpg

And of the canyon road,
DSC_1667_zpsvm1mavba.jpg

And the fun was over. Sunday morning, we got up with the chickens, broke camp, and headed home. 604 miles in 9 hrs 37 minutes, and we were back home to face a daunting pile of laundry, a dirty house, a driveway full of leaves and branches, and having to explain to Mom why my sister-in-law can't make the coffee just right. So this morning I put my headset on, started the household chores, and daydreamed about next year.

Last edited:
Nice pictures and good story. I was up in Colorado the same time as you, but work-related. At least I was in Summit County, so I did get to see the aspens turned.

Crazy how crowded it all has gotten up there--even in the off season. Last year we were in SW Colorado at the end of September. At the top of Engineer Pass it was a parking lot of probably 30 UTV's. There are still plenty of uncrowded places too. Looks like you found a few of those spots. I love RMNP. Beautiful place, although Estes Park is a tourist trap.

Your shot of the parking lot on Trail Ridge Drive. When I arrived there last year the sign on the road had ice warnings. While I wandered around taking pictures the guy came along and took that sign down. I'm quite happy having been on the FJR that the parking lot did not look at all like you found it. No idea how those guys from SD were riding on that. No thank you, especially with some of the dropoffs on the sides of the road going out from there, that's no place for a slippery icy road and a motorcycle.

Nice pictures Tim. Looks like you had a good time. Love the snow pics. Things sure look different in the winter season there. My October trip that way fell to the wayside. There's always next year.

Crazy how crowded it all has gotten up there--even in the off season. Last year we were in SW Colorado at the end of September. At the top of Engineer Pass it was a parking lot of probably 30 UTV's. There are still plenty of uncrowded places too. Looks like you found a few of those spots. I love RMNP. Beautiful place, although Estes Park is a tourist trap.

As we drove in and I commented to the ranger that I'd NEVER seen such lines before, she said, "Welcome to the NEW Rocky Mountain National Park." My reply: "I liked the old one better." A few years back, we were there in mid-May. Probably 10 families in the campground, and possibly fewer than 200 people in the entire park.

Your shot of the parking lot on Trail Ridge Drive. When I arrived there last year the sign on the road had ice warnings. While I wandered around taking pictures the guy came along and took that sign down. I'm quite happy having been on the FJR that the parking lot did not look at all like you found it. No idea how those guys from SD were riding on that. No thank you, especially with some of the dropoffs on the sides of the road going out from there, that's no place for a slippery icy road and a motorcycle.

Jason, we assumed those two guys from SD were "down south" in Colorado where it was warmer - maybe it was old hat to them. In any case, we found out they closed Trail Ridge Road a couple of hours after we went up because a few cars found themselves going sideways (:eek2:). We didn't have any problems, but I did feel some slippage on certain corners even with 4WD, and I was tip-toeing the last mile or so.

Nice pictures Tim. Looks like you had a good time. Love the snow pics. Things sure look different in the winter season there. My October trip that way fell to the wayside. There's always next year.

Sorry to hear that, Drew. I'm trying to get dates on family events so I can work a MC trip around them. Once I have a time frame, you're invited as always.

Thanks Tim! I really enjoyed your vacation pictures? Great job as usual!

Thanks, Lynn. I'm off to Arkansas for a 2-day ride next week, but will figure out a time to come visit. Since you don't have a cast, I'll just sign your leg.

Loved all the color! Thanks for sharing. That log that turned into a flume... downright awesome!

As we drove in and I commented to the ranger that I'd NEVER seen such lines before, she said, "Welcome to the NEW Rocky Mountain National Park." My reply: "I liked the old one better." A few years back, we were there in mid-May. Probably 10 families in the campground, and possibly fewer than 200 people in the entire park.

It's all of those darn people moving there from places like CA and TX...like me! :lol2:

That really is the truth! If you live in the neighborhood, you know that the Denver area has had crazy growth - and crazy traffic growth. And the park is just too darned convenient for people who want a day's outing - that seems to be where most of the traffic comes from. Most of the long entry lines appeared to be people who just wanted to drive through, look at the aspens, and park in the middle of the road if they happened to spot an elk or two. There is a "fast line" for people who have bought season electronic passes. But even though I have a permanent senior discount card, and even though it has a bar code, it didn't qualify me for the fast line.

And since my kids have relocated there to live near my son-in-law's sister, I guess I'm now becoming part of the problem. Wanting to watch our grandkids grow up, we've actually bought a house in Centennial that our daughter & son-in-law rent from us. When my caregiving days in Texas are over, we'll sell out in Arlington, move to Centennial, and become one more Texas transplant couple that the locals - if you can find a real local - like to throw tomatoes at once a year.

Oh, and my wife and I are both 7th-generation Texans, my daughter is an 8th-generation Texan, and my grandkids are 9th-generation. Sadly, that dynasty ends now unless the grandies are willing to drive back to Texas to have their babies.

Last edited:
The traffic isn't as bad as Houston, yet. We've been here 10 months and are currently renting in Aurora, but we can be in the foothills in the same amount of time that it took us to get to downtown Houston. We've been doing a lot of hiking and motorcycling in the mountains on the weekends and traffic hasn't really been an issue. Surprisingly, we go into the mountains way more than I expected we would and we are loving it so far!

I like Centennial and have looked at a few houses there. I'm not fond of Aurora, but I work at the airport so it's really convenient.

Maybe we can meet up sometime. My wife & I take turns, alternating roughly every month, running up to work on the house & visit the grandies. So far, the VStrom has only made one of those trips, but there will be one or two in the spring or early summer.

Maybe we can meet up sometime. My wife & I take turns, alternating roughly every month, running up to work on the house & visit the grandies. So far, the VStrom has only made one of those trips, but there will be one or two in the spring or early summer.

Absolutely. I'll send you a PM.

I have a friend who is very happy she and her husband have moved from Denver to Wyoming. They are enjoying nature without all the lines and hustle and bustle.

Jason, I could probably be very happy living up in Laramie. Smaller town, less crowded, real estate is cheaper. Our promise has been to (1) be close to the grandkids, and (2) move close enough to my kids that when the old-guy stuff really kicks into high (or low) gear, we'll be nearby so that they don't have to go through what I went through with my parents.

I couldn't see all the pics (lousy phone reception) but what I saw was great! I'll look ok at the rest later. Sounds like a great trip.

Where are you, Danny? Somewhere without a PC, I take it.....

Yeah, it was a great trip. We really needed the getaway, particularly after a very stressful summer. And much as enjoy the Grand Cherokee, every day I found myself wishing I was on the same roads, but on the Strom. Well, except for the Scary Ice day.

Jason, I could probably be very happy living up in Laramie. Smaller town, less crowded, real estate is cheaper. Our promise has been to (1) be close to the grandkids, and (2) move close enough to my kids that when the old-guy stuff really kicks into high (or low) gear, we'll be nearby so that they don't have to go through what I went through with my parents.

Sorry, wasn't suggesting that at all for you, just pointing out that others have found themselves to be feeling the things you observed. They originally moved to Denver to be close to nature, but now with all the traffic getting out there, they found they had to relocate again.

Totally understand your reasons for moving for sure. We are close to my kid's grandparents on my wife's side, but far from my parents. It's tough.

Where are you, Danny? Somewhere without a PC, I take it.....

At work, where I really can't cruise TWTEX on my computer. And we are in a dead zone for Sprint. No worries.

I saw the rest of the pics just now, and I'm really envious. We'll never camp up there in October, but we might drive up and hotel-hop. I would really love that.

Back