• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

BMW GS-911 Code Reader

kurt

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Kurt
Last Name
Brown
For anyone looking to save a few bucks while doing their own service on most Late model BMW "R", "K" and "F" bikes, I just purchased one of these readers. With my 6,000 mile service looming near, I figured the cost would best be spent on tools and will be happy to share. ;)

GS-911-00.jpg

For a complete compatibility chart, look here:

http://www.hex.co.za/gs911/functionchart.html

I've heard great things about the GS911 as well. It's probably something I'll pick up when I start playing with HID setups and the like (to clear all those lamp failure codes).

It arrived yesterday while I was at work, so I didn't get to see it until this morning. Installed the software in about two minutes flat then went out to read codes. Popped the seat, took the cap off of the diagnostic plug, hooked it up and found I had no error codes to read anywhere. All clear. Almost disappointing in a way. :mrgreen:

Yup, just like "wasting money" on insurance all these years! :clap:

Hi, I am live in Austin area and have a R1200R and need to reset (turn off) my service light. Can you help? BMW made low brow on this issue and allow the dealer to take advantage on their "customer". Thanks

For anyone looking to save a few bucks while doing their own service on most Late model BMW "R", "K" and "F" bikes, I just purchased one of these readers. With my 6,000 mile service looming near, I figured the cost would best be spent on tools and will be happy to share. ;)

GS-911-00.jpg

For a complete compatibility chart, look here:

http://www.hex.co.za/gs911/functionchart.html

I have one also. Not sure which version that you bought, but some have a 10 bike limit on them. That applies mostly to newer bikes with canbus and which functions you want to use. It will ask you if you want to add this vehicle to the 10 bike limit if you go into an area that requires it.

Example:

I read the faults on a 2006 RT due to a fuel pump controller failure and was able to clear them once it was fixed without adding that bike to my 10 limit. If I had wanted to dive deeper into the diagnostics it warned me that this bike would be added if I proceeded.

HTH,

Ron

Hi, I am live in Austin area and have a R1200R and need to reset (turn off) my service light. Can you help? BMW made low brow on this issue and allow the dealer to take advantage on their "customer". Thanks

Have you asked LoneStar what they charge to reset the service light? I'm curious because I've heard people in other locations complain, but I've never heard what the cost was.

I have a GS-911 too, but it is the personal one and has the 10 VIN limit and you use a limit to reset the service info. So I don't do that unless it is on a bike I may need to hook up several times. Meaning that if I knew you and we wrenched on bikes together regularly, I'd be happy to help. Or if I had the unlimited one I'd be happy to help.

just bought the new red one but with limited reset. I am in The Woodlands, south of Conroe. If anyone needs to see what is the problem on your bike you are welcome to send me a message to come use it.

Not to threadjack, but I have one of these in my car that stay hooked up all the time. Best $170 upgrade I ever made.
http://www.scanguage.com/

I wish the GS could output for a standard car OBD port.

The new E4 spec of whatever it's called is in short OBD compatibility for the motorcycle. The 2017's will start seeing this functionality.

I have the GS-911 WI-FI version. I'll be happy to read fault codes here in the Lorena area. I also carry mine on the bike. If you see me at the pie runs I can read the codes if you need them.

will the wifi version reset the service light?
It will, but it counts against my allowed vin numbers. I can reset error codes without using the vin number.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I can understand you need a special tool to reset an error code, but why your service light? In all cars you can reset the service light!
Is that because they want you to take the bike to change oil at a dealership?

I can understand you need a special tool to reset an error code, but why your service light? In all cars you can reset the service light!
Is that because they want you to take the bike to change oil at a dealership?

I honestly don't know. When I bought the new GSA here at The Woodlands and came back a couple of days later for the initial 600 mile service they didn't have their "Diagnostic" equipment in yet and couldn't reset the light. When I came back in a few weeks later for the 6,000 mile service they were able to.

Not sure what is involved in the process on a 2016 BMW to reset the service light, but assume you can't do it yourself without a specialty item. :shrug:

From 2010 (I believe) until present, BMW has required a dealership or special tool to reset the service reminder.

I believe you can reset the service reminder and program it to a certain date / mileage. At least that what Cuznbob did with my bike the last time he serviced it.

Back