• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

F800 GS Headlight

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I noticed that my headlight is becoming fogged up with dust and is hindering my ability to see and be seen. I am not wanting to fork over the $500 for a new headlight assembly, and was wondering if anyone out there knew of a remedy. Is there a way to take the lens off, clean it, and replace it back on with a new seal?

It would be a LOT of disassembly work, but you can remove the bulb from the back of the housing, remove the entire housing, then maybe access the inside of the lens from the hole for the bulb. I've got no idea if you can actually remove the lens or whether it is just an integrated unit meant to be replaced as a whole.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that earlier, but it is to awkward to get in there well enough to get it clean. I was hoping there would be an easy fix, but I think I might have to get an entirely new headlight.

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that earlier, but it is to awkward to get in there well enough to get it clean. I was hoping there would be an easy fix, but I think I might have to get an entirely new headlight.

You removed the entire headlight assembly from the front of the bike?

If so, I wonder if there is anything you can pour inside and slosh around that might get it clean and still rinse out without leaving a mess behind?

If it is anything like the one on the G650X series it is one part. Agree with Scott. I'd take it off again and then slosh a solution of mild soapy water in the housing. Don't use glass cleaner. A bottle brush from bed Bath and Beyond would help get at the clear lens from the back. If the clouding is on the outside, there are lens polishes available at the auto parts store.

Back