• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Mexico, Colorado and Wyoming July 30 - Aug 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

misterk

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Do you like to ride the mountain back roads and dirt roads? Do you hate to do it by yourself? My self and a couple of other guys will be riding fairly easy dirt roads and backroads, basically from Clayton NM to Burgess Junction Wyoming. Sunday August 5th, we will continue on to Sturgis for a week. You can head back anytime, ride the mountains up and come back down through the great plain states perhaps. You can ride part of the way or all the way. Views get awesome after Clayton NM.

I will be heading back to Colorado, Wyoming, Montana and Sturgis July 30th.

Leave Monday July 30 around 11 from DFW to Amarillo (hotel or Air BNB).

Tuesday, Amarillo to Clayton - dirt and paved backroads to Trinidad CO.

Tuesday night camp at Lake Isabell, Rye CO or make it to my Friends house in Littleton CO.

Wednesday morning head to Steamboat Springs then start the trail to Burgess Junction Wyoming. It will be about 550 miles over 3 days.

I have some cabins booked at Burgess junction for Friday and Saturday. My friends and I will then head to Sturgis and Black Hills Sunday through Friday the next week.

On the way up, I plan to ride Phantom Canyon Road (667) from Canon City to Cripple Creek CO. Return to Jackson Creek Rd to Littleton CO.

From Steamboat to Burgess Junction It will look something like the map below. Camping will be the preferred overnight accomodations.

If you would like to go with us, post up or send me a pm. Average riding day after Amarillo will be about 200 miles a day. I like to get to camp or hotel by 4ish. The route will be fluid, depends on weather, fires etc.
bfdc0b9a21aa5fc8a4d83fb2cb4725ce.jpg

Kevin....I'm interested in joining you for the Steamboat to Burgess Junction part.

Potentially....I'd work my way from Dallas to the Denver area after work on Monday and Tuesday and then join you for Wednesday through Friday. Then I'd head back home Saturday.

Work's a bit stupid and unpredictable right now so this may not happen but I've done similar stuff before and it allows me to take trips without taking a full week off work.

Anyway....post up if the plans change / get more definite as to when and where you'll be and I'll try and figure out how to join you.

Kevin, I’m thinking about it. Let me get through the next couple weeks first & I’ll let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin....I'm interested in joining you for the Steamboat to Burgess Junction part.

Potentially....I'd work my way from Dallas to the Denver area after work on Monday and Tuesday and then join you for Wednesday through Friday. Then I'd head back home Saturday.

Work's a bit stupid and unpredictable right now so this may not happen but I've done similar stuff before and it allows me to take trips without taking a full week off work.

Anyway....post up if the plans change / get more definite as to when and where you'll be and I'll try and figure out how to join you.

Dave, sounds great, one more guy to help pick up my bike [emoji38]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kevin, I’m thinking about it. Let me get through the next couple weeks first & I’ll let you know.

That would be great Rich, it might take all 5 of us to pick up my bike lol. It is going to be a great ride!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Gary is out this year. So change of plans. I am going to leave Friday afternoon go to Amarillo.

Then Saturday head to del Norte co. 380 miles.

From del Norte go to 3 step hideaway. 230 miles

Spend Sunday and Monday nights at 3 step hideaway on Utah Colorado border high of 85, low 58 perfect hammock weather.

Then head close to steamboat springs co. for Tuesday night. 350 miles, back roads, some dirt. 3step - naturita, columbine pass via 25 Mesa (nucla-delta road) - hotchkiss- Carbondale - kremmling- steamboat area.

Wednesday-Friday make the way to burgess junction. Average about 150 miles a day those 3 days. 50/50 dirt/paved about 400 miles.

I plan to set up camp by 4pm everyday.

A little about Columbine pass from a local on ADVrider

"I'm in! If you make it out to the western side of the state, Unaweep Canyon ( Hwy 141 South of Whitewater, just outside of Grand Junction) is a really neat ride. You can cross over the Uncompahgre Plateau via 25 Mesa road, over Columbine Pass, in Nucla, to Delta. Or take it all the way back across the plateau making a loop back to 141. It is a gorgeous ride, both the pavement and the dirt parts. I haven't seen many RR's mention it, as it isn't as well known, maybe. The dirt section is graded gravel roads, I did it just a week ago on the stock Africa Twin tires, which aren't great on the dirt at all! I am a Grand Junction local, so if you make it out that way and want a companion for the day or any assistance, shoot me a DM."

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T) using Tapatalk

Sounds like the part I was meeting you for is unchanged...although, maybe I should meet you earlier as the Tuesday route sounds fun too.

No Gary? That's sad. We'll miss him.

Sounds like the part I was meeting you for is unchanged...although, maybe I should meet you earlier as the Tuesday route sounds fun too.

No Gary? That's sad. We'll miss him.
I am looking forward to Tuesday. Meet me in Naturita.

Last edited:
Sorry, Kevin. Can’t make it this time due to work commitments. Are you going to make the Eureka Springs TWT ride Oct. 10-14?

Sorry, Kevin. Can’t make it this time due to work commitments. Are you going to make the Eureka Springs TWT ride Oct. 10-14?

Thanks for the note Rich. Don’t know yet about eureka springs.

My Aggie son has a ring ceremony this fall, tbd.

I am looking forward to Tuesday. Meet me in Naturita.

Thinking of skipping the Steamboat to Burgess Junction part and riding with you in the early part of the trip instead and then going back to work on Wednesday so I'd only have to burn 2 days of vacation instead of 3.

Also would like to meet Tourmeister and the gang in Ouray on the 29th and ride a bit of mountain passes with them so might ride with you some and then break away for a bit.

Sigh...so many great options....so little vacation time. Trying to balance it all out.

I may just try and call you later.

Thinking of skipping the Steamboat to Burgess Junction part and riding with you in the early part of the trip instead and then going back to work on Wednesday so I'd only have to burn 2 days of vacation instead of 3.

Also would like to meet Tourmeister and the gang in Ouray on the 29th and ride a bit of mountain passes with them so might ride with you some and then break away for a bit.

Sigh...so many great options....so little vacation time. Trying to balance it all out.

I may just try and call you later.

You just need to demand more vacation days lol, we can talk on phone

Ugh... I'm out. As feared, work got a bit crazy and I need to be on site next week.

Heading out in the morning to Amarillo.

Friday: Airbnb Amarillo
Saturday: camp at del Norte
Sunday: alpine loop to 3 step hideaway in Utah.

Monday: 3 step hideaway, do local exploring

Tuesday: go over columbine pass and head to steamboat springs area.

Wednesday to Friday: work my way to burgess junction Wyoming. Me and some buddies have a cabin rented at big bear lodge for Friday and Saturday.

Sunday-Friday : sturgis sd

Friday- Saturday: head home. Route unknown yet:)

https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1a4fd5b5a89365e1b3&hoursPast=0&showAll=yes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back