• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Alternative to BaseCamp

kubotamiketx

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Morisoli
Gang I am having a heck of a time on Windows 10, it is so full of bugs, keeps crashing or can't use the purchased North America map I give up. This is the same on 3 different computers.

Does anybody have a good route planning / mapping program besides BaseCamp, even if I have to purchase one...

I'm having good success running free Motogoloco.com route maker using free Firefox. Directly downloads to my Garmin.

Last edited:
What GPS are your using. Some of Garmin's routing requires the same map in the mapping software and on the GPS. So if you create routes in Tyre, Google maps or the like, it may not translate into the Garmin GPS without some additional work.

Not sure if this fits your definition of "good", but...

1. Create a set of directions in Google maps
  2. Copy the URL once you have the directions completed
  3. Go to http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/convert_input
  4. Select GPX (instead of the default Plain Text)
  5. Paste the URL you copied from Google maps into the "Or provide the URL of a file on the Web:" box
  6. Click the Convert button
  7. Click the "Click to download...gpx" link and save the file to your computer
You should now have a .gpx file on your computer that you can import into your Garmin unit.

I abandoned Garmin about three years ago, so take this with a grain of salt since it may have improved (cough, cough.) Also, this may cover information you already know.

Garmin uses both "tracks" and "routes." Tracks are simple GPS breadcrumbs and are independent of the map; little more than an arrow pointing to the next location. Routes on the other hand are dependent on the map and provide all those nifty features like having Karen Jacobson say "turn left in .5 miles." If you are using tracks, most any software that will create a GPX files will work. The only limitation may come in some files making too may GPS positions for you Garmin to store.

The problem with routes is that each map/Garmin implementation can interpret the results differently when they import the file. I learned this the hard way with the Houston BMW club. We would send out a set of GPX files and each rider would have a slightly different route based on the age of their map, their ride profile, how avoidances are set, etc. To make matters worse, Garmin (and Google) maps were terribly inaccurate once the pavement ended and gravel began. I can't say how many times the Garmin calculated "fastest route" dead ended at some rancher's gate in Lavaca County.

Anyway, if you're planning on using only tracks, then Wiskey Smith's advice is about as easy as it gets. I've used the method a lot myself.

Basecamp is a kerfuffle at best. Hail's Intro To Basecamp thread covers it in depth.

m

Unwieldy and prone to taking alternate routes, but my old paper map under plastic on my tank bag has gotten me from coast to coast without '
crashing'.

Hey Mike, is your Win 10 a clean install or upgrade?
Try running Javawa GMTK on your system before any other changes,, it will repair many Garmin map errors.

http://www.javawa.nl/gmtk_en.html

I've used Furkot and downloaded to my Garmin Nuvi. It does a pretty good job on a complex route, although I usually have to fix a few waypoints once it's loaded to the Nuvi. Believe it or not, though, I have by far the best success and the easiest time by simply building the route using the Nuvi's Trip Planner function.

It is a clean install, I am a Microsoft developer so I get all the software for free and always start with fresh non-OEM builds. I have tried it on a super high end Dell desktop with Xeon processors, a killer Allenware i7 system and a brand new Surface Book.

My Garmin Montana did not come with a useful map so I had to purchase and download one. This is installed on the device itself, not on my desktop.

For me Basecamp only runs if I have the Garmin plugged in to the USB port. It seems to read the map from the Montana.

I have tried installing the map into internal memory of the device and onto a 32GB card. Still acts like crap most of the time.

It is a clean install, I am a Microsoft developer so I get all the software for free and always start with fresh non-OEM builds. I have tried it on a super high end Dell desktop with Xeon processors, a killer Allenware i7 system and a brand new Surface Book.

My Garmin Montana did not come with a useful map so I had to purchase and download one. This is installed on the device itself, not on my desktop.

For me Basecamp only runs if I have the Garmin plugged in to the USB port. It seems to read the map from the Montana.

I have tried installing the map into internal memory of the device and onto a 32GB card. Still acts like crap most of the time.

Here is one way to run the map in Basecamp from the comp hdd instead of the gps.

http://www.javawa.nl/virtualdevice.html

Oh, just load the Garmin Express program. Plug in the Montana. Click on the Montana tile in Garmin Express, click on Map Options, Click on Install to Computer. After it installs the maps on the computer you won't need the gps to use Basecamp. Doesn't help with how Basecamp works, but will definitely speed it up.

Mike,

I'm not in the same league as JT or TrailBoss. Those guys are the true subject matter experts on this stuff. But, what I have learned, and it may be wrong, is to create your routes with a lot of waypoints in strategic areas, so that they force your handheld device to keep the route you built on BC. I have learned the hard way that if you use to few of waypoints, your GPS will constantly autoroute something other than what you thought you had. Not sure if this is causing you problems?

Last edited:
Back