• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Thinking of a new Honda African Twin

Ok, I love my XR650L but must admit it isn't the most comfortable thing to ride on the longer road sections between the dirt roads.

Do you have a Seat Concept seat on your XRL? If not, best money you can spend if you want to be more comfortable. I've done multiple 300+ days on mine and it's almost as comfortable as my Super Tenere.

Well it is a done deal for better or worse I am the proud new owner of a 2016 AT

CONGRATS. The AT is one of the best looking ADV bikes in my opinion. I also like your lightning quick purchase decision. I've been guilty of that too.

My wife (Becky) has a XT250. They are very good bikes. Becky rode it on the Jalpan Rundown trip that TrailBoss organized. 1500 mile trip and it handled it fine...

I met you folks briefly while we were in Mission. Wish we all had name tags the first night so we could connect the dots.

Just did 80 miles out in dripping springs back roads and I love it. Starting to get used to her and it is amazing. Did three water crossings With the street tires. Glad I didn't repeet my previous crash.

Hey all,

if anybody is interested, about an hour ago there was a silver manual available at Cycleplex in San Antonio. Ask for Josh...

Just did 80 miles out in dripping springs back roads and I love it. Starting to get used to her and it is amazing. Did three water crossings With the street tires. Glad I didn't repeet my previous crash.

Haha that was an awesome slide. I mean, at least it didn't make a heinous clapping sound like mine did.

Riding across in the gravel was alot of fun.

Jumping in a little late here but I have a DCT AT and I love it. I have not had a chance to do any off road yet but hope to soon. Learning to adjust to the DCT does not take very long. Just twist and go. Learning to really "control" the DCT takes a little longer.

The first time your sitting at a long light and forget and blip the throttle you get an instant "quick reaction test" of your breaking skills. Yes, it will jump right out there !!!

I'm learning to use the throttle and rear brake for slow control instead of the clutch friction technique. With practice I think it will do just fine.

The highway travel is a real delight (once you add a throttle lock). The wind protection is great and I have not had any buffeting up to 80+. OK, with strong side winds I do get some but any bike will.

My favorite bikes to ride were my Goldwing and Transalp. The Goldwing for travel and the Transalp for everything else. However, I think the AT could replace both. The AT is as much (or more) fun as the TAlps and is very comfortable on the highway. I wish it had cruise control but the throttle lock will have to do. A comment by a number of reviewers was how easy this bike is to ride and after 600 miles I must agree. It's just easy and fun to ride.

I'll post a little more once I get it off road. After all it is the "Go Anywhere" bike. ;-)

Last edited:
It didn't take me long to decide either. Traded in 03 Goldwing, and plan to ride the AT mostly one-up. With just about a thousand miles on her now. Mods are Rox 1.25" risers, tail rack, and Grip Puppies that I put on yesterday. Still plan to keep the WRR and want to ride a BDR on it first.

Really hope wife has time after USAF retirement to get a bike. Maybe a DCT CB500X in 17'

Maybe we can meet in the hill country sometime.

Congrats. When you go off road I would suggest being very careful in mud or anything too rough. The OEM tires don't work well in mud (no grip) and are a little scary on gravel. Other than that, I love the AT. I also have a Goldwing but if I can install a cruise control on the AT (there are 2 or 3 available) I think I will sell the Wing.
The Grip Puppies help a lot as does the Kaoko throttle lock (just until I get a cruise control).
:rider:

Congratulations on your new bike. I've read the entire thread and it has raised my curiosity as to what this manual vs at means. I will now go to Honda's website and do a little research. As someone who has spent a lot of money trying to make a "dual sport" do everything, I have to second the opinion about keeping your lighter, more dirt oriented bike for tougher dirt riding.

By the way I have a few spare parts for the at if interested. SW motech skid plate and some sw motech saddle bags

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got back from the Baja Rally where Lawrence Hacking was riding one of these in anger off-road for 5 stages! He finished 16th overall and 1st in his class on an AT that had not much more than bash plate & rally comp gear added. On top of that, he's an extremely nice gentleman too. Lots about his adventures & the big bikes in general here;

http://xladv.com/topic/765-big-bikes-at-b-a-j-a-r-a-l-l-y/

Watching him power sliding that beast on loose fast sections was amazing. Then there's this!

155A9941_Fotor-L.jpg

I told him we should call his ride "Passenger Footpegs Included!"

gallery_5_150_550592.jpg

Last edited:
While I don't have any pictures or video to prove it, I can say from personal experience this is one of the best feet up, power sliding machine I have ever ridden. That goes for stock tires, Pirelli MT 90's or Michelin Karoo's. The power curve makes it feel like an electric motor, twist the throttle further and it spins the tires faster. It does take a little bit of stupidity to pitch an expensive and heavy 500 pound bike sideways but what the heck, that's one of the few advantages of getting older, we can afford better toys.

By the way, here is what the Michelin looked like after less than 400 miles in Colorado with RG last month

20160920_182158130_iOS_zpsrktw0rhm.jpg

Last edited:
I'm hoping to pick one up around Christmas. We'll have to see...

I'm a little late to the post but wanted to say congrats on your new(ish) AT. Mine came to me 2nd hand but the advantage of buying used was the first guy spent his cash on a bunch of upgrades I would have bought over time anyways!

By chance if you need, or want, a set of Touratech lower crash bars I have a set here in the garage that can be yours for a very reasonable rate.

Wow! lucky you to find a used one so soon! I just couldn't wait and I'm all about used bikes. I may be a taker of the Touratech lower crash bars if no one wants them. However, may not fit with what I've got installed.

... but the advantage of buying used was the first guy spent his cash on a bunch of upgrades I would have bought over time anyways!

:tab That has worked to my advantage quite nicely 7-8 times. I have only bought a few new bikes. Now that bikes are getting so freaking expensive, it is likely to be a LONG time before I ever buy another new one. Like you said, finding a used bike with most all of the aftermarket stuff installed can save you a LOT of money! Still... there is something about a new bike :giveup:

I just got back from the Baja Rally where Lawrence Hacking was riding one of these in anger off-road for 5 stages! He finished 16th overall and 1st in his class on an AT that had not much more than bash plate & rally comp gear added. On top of that, he's an extremely nice gentleman too. Lots about his adventures & the big bikes in general here;

http://xladv.com/topic/765-big-bikes-at-b-a-j-a-r-a-l-l-y/

Watching him power sliding that beast on loose fast sections was amazing. Then there's this!

155A9941_Fotor-L.jpg

I told him we should call his ride "Passenger Footpegs Included!"

gallery_5_150_550592.jpg
hey philip, very cool u were in baja earlier, steve aka fang was there too as a mecanic, he told me last month when i saw him in galeana da last night me n doug showed up comin from parras n real14

Fyi if anyonr else is interested, dont know if they still there but ck it out - i jumped on a red manual AT for da first time back in august in brownsville n later that same month i saw another red manual AT n a beige silver auto AT in georgetown.

Back