• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Stay away from Rugged Radios

Downs

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
They make good headsets but I have serious issues with their pricing scheme on some things.

Example they take some chinese radios (which are fine radios) and then double or triple the price on them. Their "RH-5R" is a rebadged Baofeng UV-5R at almost triple the cost. You can get UV-5Rs on Amazon all day for 28 dollars a pop, RR sells them for 85 dollars. Their RM-25R is a rebadged chinese radio (again not a bad radio) that sells for 100 to 114 dollars on Amazon, RR sells it for 210 dollars. Lets not even get started on their pricing on accessories for the Baofeng Handhelds.

Their RM-60 and RM-45 radios that are single band are sold as a dual bander on Amazon for 160 dollars. They charge 300 and 400 dollars for their single band rebadged units.

I get everyone needs to make a profit but they're gouging people's eyes out and not even offering a few aspirin to help with the pain. They just prey on most peoples lack of radio knowledge.

The ONLY thing I send people to RR for is their in helmet wiring harness for the Baofengs and Kenwoods. It's 200 dollars but one of the few wired options that actually functions out there. And I still try to steer people towards bluetooth instead.

Noticed them being "pushed" with hard advertising on this year's "Ultimate Adventure 2016, the big Jeep magazine run put on by Motor Trend. Thanks for the tips.

Noticed them being "pushed" with hard advertising on this year's "Ultimate Adventure 2016, the big Jeep magazine run put on by Motor Trend. Thanks for the tips.

Yeah I think Peterson's and Four Wheeler have picked them up as sponsors so I expect to see a lot more of their radios in Jeeps in the future. :giveup:

I have two of the Baofeng's for camping and hunting. They are incredible little radios. The battery life if also phenomenal. I'd certainly buy these again vs. anything else.

I'm one of those suckers who got the over priced RR with hardwired helmet combo "deals". I felt like I needed it quick so didn't do my usual research. :doh: Shortly after when I was looking for accessories I stated noticing my same radio for much cheaper. (However you do have to manually program them.) I had an issue with a connector on the helmet harness so I gave them a call and all I got was "Yeah mine does that too". I will eventually convert to bluetooth. So between the prices and customer service.... buyer beware.

Yup chirp and a 20 dollar cable from Amazon. Worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here, Chirp and a few leads and I can program pretty much any of my amateur radios.. Great for paragliding, dirt bike riding, or just going in a car convoy..

Gary

Back