• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

the great coverup

Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Seery
The cover i've had on my bike has give up the ghost and is now letting the topcase rack stick out the back through a hole.

So my question is, what do you have, and what do you recommend?

For reference, I've got a 2002 VFR800 and I leave the side bags and/or the top case on all the time. so I need something big enough to cover all that.

The bike lives outside :( so it needs to be pretty tough.

Thanks in advance!

I had one of these that lasted through about eight years of everyday use with the bike parked outside. It’s not real heavy and hot head pipes will melt holes in it, but if you’re careful or if you let the bike cool a little before covering it you won’t have a problem. Mine had a small hole in it but was still quite serviceable when my wife accidentally threw it away. Just so you’ll know, we had something like seven or eight of those big plastic garbage cans not too far from where I parked the bike. One day I was in a hurry and just stuffed the cover into an empty can to keep it from blowing away. Well, you guessed it – it was garbage day and she hauled out the garbage.

I recall reading somewhere that the ones from Walmart were not bad for the price. As I recall they were under $30, but it has been a while since I looked, so I could be wrong.

wildebube said:
I had one of these that lasted through about eight years of everyday use with the bike parked outside. It’s not real heavy and hot head pipes will melt holes in it, but if you’re careful or if you let the bike cool a little before covering it you won’t have a problem. Mine had a small hole in it but was still quite serviceable when my wife accidentally threw it away. Just so you’ll know, we had something like seven or eight of those big plastic garbage cans not too far from where I parked the bike. One day I was in a hurry and just stuffed the cover into an empty can to keep it from blowing away. Well, you guessed it – it was garbage day and she hauled out the garbage.
The Wanderer is what I had. it got a small 3 corner tear in it and it just went from there.

stopped in at walmart last night and grabbed one of their MC covers. for $20 I figured it was worth a shot.

well, IMO its not worth the $20. the storage bag it came in was ripped when I opened the box and there's not a chance that its going to fit over my bike. even if I took the bags off. and this is the size large that they claim is supposed to fit cruisers!

I'll be running over to NewEnough.com and ordering a proper cover here shortly.

take it back, that is one aspect of going to the store that you can't beat. Sorry it did not fit

TexasTri said:
take it back, that is one aspect of going to the store that you can't beat. Sorry it did not fit
thats the plan! :thumb:

no worries, I'd have grabbed a XL if they had one, but they didn't.

I've got a Nelson-Rigg cover ordered from newenough.com. the old one will keep most of the elements away till that comes in.

got my Nelson-Rigg Defender 2000 XL cover in today.
It won't fit with the top case and would fit better if I didn't have the hard bags on, but its way better then the previous cover I had.

construction is top notch. :thumb:

a big :thumb: to NewEnough for getting it to me this quick! :clap:

WalMart sells the cheesy $20 cover in 3 different sizes and I know the largest size is PLENTY big enough to cover ANYTHING! My Husband used it too cover his 750SRAD AND my SV650! Although they don't last too well maybe 8 months tops out here in the sun
Marie

maybe its just my wally world that didn't have anything in stock. they had ~6 size Large and nothing else. I think the XL would have worked, but they didn't have it.

Back