• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Started My Courthouse Tour

TomN

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Neimeyer
I've got several old bikes, nothing I wanted to go across Texas on, especially some of the way back roads I will be riding to try and make this happen. With my recent purchase of a VFR, I decided to try doing the Courthouse Tour. So today, I set off to get some near by Courthouses under my belt and see if I really want to do this. Liberty, Kountze, Woodville, Jasper, Newton, Orange, Jefferson and Chambers counties. About 310 miles and 8 1/2 hours. I need to improve my mapping/GPS skills as missed a few by a block or two, but was able to find them all. Several were having renovations/repairs. Overall a good day, will map out some a little more South/SouthWest of Houston next.

Cheers, Tom

Attachments

• C1.jpg
    C1.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 292
  • L1.jpg
    L1.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 287
  • O1.jpg
    O1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 283
Looks like you're off to a good start! There's a few around here that have completed the project. I've got about 50 or so up to this point. Couple of suggestions would include:

1) Purchase the book The Courthouses of Texas by Mavis Kelsey and Donald Dyal. It gives a history of each one, but more important, the address and a picture of what you're looking for.
2) Stick a pushpin in a Texas map for every town that has a courthouse. That makes the mapping/routing a lot easier.
3) If you do it in the Fall/Spring, the leaves will be mostly gone thus showing more of each courthouse. Any other time and you get a bunch of trees/leaves in the way.
4) When you get close to the small towns, just look up for a tall peak of a building. After a few you'll know what you're looking for and just ride right to it.

Have fun and keep at it!

I bought two books, the one you mentioned and another, Historic Courthouses of Texas by Michael Andrews (it was a little pricy but is some good reading with fantastic pictures). However, I forgot to carry the smaller "The Courthouses of Texas" book today.

I had a few other snafu's too but it will get better with time/experience. When I got the bike I also got a Zumo 550 and a Scala headset and I am learning to use them at the same time.

Cheers and thanks for the encouragement.

Tom

I forgot to say for #2 above.... when you shoot the picture, remove the pushpin from the map!

I also enjoy going by Courthouses on my rides, though I haven't started taking pics of them...yet.:rider:

Check my galley. We have added some after this past weekend. It will be around 20 more. I don't have them all up yet. That gives us, Me and ladyrider, around 50 total.
Marty

Back