• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howdy from Mineral Wells area

Reaction score
First Name
David
Like to say Hi to everyone. I've been riding since age 15. At present I have a 2015 Ultra and my wife has a 2013 Spyder. I like the forum here. Reminds me of the days when our weekends were spent at the Flying P ranch. My two favorite dirt rides back then were an Honda CR250 and YZ400. In 03, I bought a new KLR650 and had acquired 15K on it before selling in 06 to get my wife a bike. Riding is our hobby. After reading some of the stories on the site, I now want to get a street/trail machine again. I think my favorite mixed riding would be from Carlsbad to Queen across the quadalupe rim up to Capitan. I never owned a Strom or BMW, but thinking about it. The areas I mentioned, some are well off the beaten path. I know the KLR would be fine but how well do the other bikes mentioned handle. We have hunted out there since 1985 and have got to know the area some. Lots of places to ride. It is fun camping out there. Taking the 4wheelers is a lot of fun too.

Welcome to TWT. There is a pie run in Ponder next Saturday great chance to :rider: and :eat: and put faces and real names with the characters you meet on here. Rare to catch one closer, although we have met in Cool a couple of times ;-)

Welcome aboard. Also from Mineral Wells. Currently in San Diego by direction of Uncle Sam but will be home (maybe not to MW but close) in August some time. Did you grow up in MW? I graduated HS there in 03. Lived in Palo Pinto for a good chunk of time as well.

Downs,
First off, thanks for your service. I grew up in MW. Lived here bout all my life. Graduated in 76. My favorite pass time is riding. I got into bass fishing and the tournament scene for a few years but I've always rode bikes. Being in San Diego, are you navy ? My son graduated in 01 at MW and went in to the navy. 14 yrs now I think. He made chief this past year. He will be home shortly for a visit before going to Guam. He took submarines. He is presently at Kings Bay. My uncle was stationed in San Diego back in the Nam days. Military people miss out on a lot of things especially with family. We fished tournaments together and he talks about fishing them together again once he retires. What kind of riding do you mostly do ?

ADV type mostly these days. Little bit of dirt good chunk of street. Lots of motocamping. I may know your son I graduated from MW in 03.

Thanks for the responses. We usually do not camp. We try to work in some rides down to the hill country, SE New Mexico around Capitan, Riudoso, Carlsbad. We go to Big Bend some and usually stay in Alpine. We take some rides up to Broken Bow into Ark. We usually get a motel room. I do not have a multi-purpose bike at this time but I think it would be a lot fun to go on some of the rides mentioned on the site here. I am considering a KLR again. I really liked the one I bought in 03 but I rode more street than anything. I have taken it to Red River for a weekend of riding and camping. When I figure out the picture upload, I'll put a pic of our bikes.

It was great riding with you and your wife last weekend.

There is a niche of us cruiser types and we definitely need to find a weekend to cruise to the hill country.

I realized later on he was marine core. I figured I would get an ear full from that post. He has a good sense of humor hopefully. He did write. Told the wife, probably last time I would hear from him.

... He has a good sense of humor hopefully. ...

He does and so does the Dallas sweetheart he married and hauled off to the wilds of Suthrun Calimafony-ya. Or maybe it wuz the other way 'round. :trust:

... He did write. Told the wife, probably last time I would hear from him.

Prob'ly not. I'll see Downs (& Zippo & their Bambino) end of this month out in Death Valley. :rider: Want me to say Howdy for you?

He does and so does the Dallas sweetheart he married and hauled off to the wilds of Suthrun Calimafony-ya. Or maybe it wuz the other way 'round. :trust:

Prob'ly not. I'll see Downs (& Zippo & their Bambino) end of this month out in Death Valley. :rider: Want me to say Howdy for you?

Please do. Appreciate the thought.

I'm still here haha. Sometimes I drop off the TWTEX forums for weeks at a time. I see a lot on here that I miss out on being out here so only pop in occasionally when I want an update on everyone :)

Back