• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Brand new rider

Bought some sedici's at cycle gear. They're 'ok'. Toe box is bigger than my tennis shoes, so I'm having to relearn how to shift without thinking about it.

Thx W&B. I saw your post before I created my account and was instantly bummed you took a great username! I'm going to have to find another one.

Oh, and trying to kick start it with the engine kill switch on doesn't work. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the bike and welcome to riding!

Cycle Gear, to me, is like the Walmart of moto gear. They have a bit of everything, mostly at good prices, but don't buy the store brand stuff unless it's on sale. The Bilt and Sedici stuff routinely goes on sale for 50% off, or "Buy the jacket, get the pants free" type deals.

Personally, I have a Bilt jacket, Bilt pants, and Sedici gloves. They're all good gear, but not worth the full price. I snagged my rain/winter gear (same thing in Texas) for about $200 for a jacket AND pants.

I don't know you but have learned a couple things about you. You got style and you are as dumb as the rest of us (**** kill switch!)....

Nice bike, Ride Safe!

Man, those SR400s are crazy cool. My mom's brother had a 650 Special when I was a little kid and the SR calls up those memories bigtime.

Welcome to TWT and enjoy the ride. :welcome:

Thanks for the warm welcome! as requested, here she is.

LOL, I remember riding two up on a bike like that as a teen in high school. Neither of us (my buddy) really had any experience and almost went off the road as I was trying to take a turn too fast. I leaned in and he leaned the opposite way! That little bike almost killed us. Ahh the good old days.:rider:

I don't know you but have learned a couple things about you. You got style and you are as dumb as the rest of us (**** kill switch!)....

Nice bike, Ride Safe!

hahah. yah, I'm learning to check the killswitch every time so I don't look like a moron when trying to kick it over.

Anyone have their odometer/speedometer come unscrewed from the front wheel? I came out from an appointment today, and after about a mile, the speedometer went to 0, and the odometer wasn't moving, I looked down, and the thing was dangling. I pulled over and stuck the little thing in the hole ( stop it ), and screwed it back on. it seems to be reading the speed/miles now just fine. There were some pretty bumpy roads today, but I've only gone 400 miles so far. Could it have come unscrewed by itself, or was it sabotage?

hahah. yah, I'm learning to check the killswitch every time so I don't look like a moron when trying to kick it over.

Anyone have their odometer/speedometer come unscrewed from the front wheel? I came out from an appointment today, and after about a mile, the speedometer went to 0, and the odometer wasn't moving, I looked down, and the thing was dangling. I pulled over and stuck the little thing in the hole ( stop it ), and screwed it back on. it seems to be reading the speed/miles now just fine. There were some pretty bumpy roads today, but I've only gone 400 miles so far. Could it have come unscrewed by itself, or was it sabotage?

If it's a new bike I'd take it back and have them give it a once over. They just didn't tighten it up. Makes you wonder what else is loose.

If it's used could be from maintenance and just didn't tighten it up. I that case chekhov the axle nut too.

Nice ride, welcome to the site.
Lots of cool memories to be made on that bike, hope you enjoy making them.

Hah, yah, my first ride where the cop followed me for what seemed like forever. I almost stalled it at a light cause I was so nervous.

The shop did a once over, checked anything that could be loose and didn't find any problems, other than tightening up the clutch cable. I guess it can loosen on new bikes over the first couple hundred miles.

In other news, I hit 600 miles so I changed my oil and I can go 55 now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WOOHOO!! 600 miles already, before long there will be an extra 0 on the end of that.
Try not to freak out about cops following you, your focus really needs to be in front of you more than behind you. Ride safe, keep your mind on the job.

WOOHOO!! 600 miles already, before long there will be an extra 0 on the end of that.
Try not to freak out about cops following you, your focus really needs to be in front of you more than behind you. Ride safe, keep your mind on the job.

oh, I'm over the cop thing now. I generally follow the speed limits ( well, +7 ). it was just that it was my first ride.

Most (not all) bike speedo's are somewhat optimistic, anyway, so you're probably OK at +7.

As a test, though, you should find someone you trust, and compare a good, auto based speedo with yours at a few various speeds. That way, you'll at least know, somewhere in the back of your noggin, that you're OK, or really just need to slow down.

On mine, if I'm riding at the speed limit, I'm actually down by about 4-6, depending on speed.

Oh, and before I forget :welcome:

That's a great idea. Time for some science! I think I'll use my running/bicycling garmin gps watch to log some speeds, then compare it to the bike, and a car. that'll give me three data points ( bike, gps, car ) to compare to.

That's a great idea. Time for some science! I think I'll use my running/bicycling garmin gps watch to log some speeds, then compare it to the bike, and a car. that'll give me three data points ( bike, gps, car ) to compare to.

ok, depends on the speed, the higher the speed, the more it's off. around 30, it's about 3 fast, around 50 it's 5 off.

ok, depends on the speed, the higher the speed, the more it's off. around 30, it's about 3 fast, around 50 it's 5 off.

10% is a pretty common error on motorcycle speedos. There are things you can buy to fix it, or you can just ride. I have a Speedo Healer on my Strom, but only because it was there when I bought it. It's still 2mph off at 65.

Back