TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Specialty Topic Forums > Polls

Notices

View Poll Results: Which way should I look?
FZ1 7 17.95%
FZ6 1 2.56%
VFR 1 2.56%
ZRX1100/1200 8 20.51%
Bandit 1200/1250 5 12.82%
SV 2 5.13%
ZZR1200 3 7.69%
Other? What? 12 30.77%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 11-16-2010, 08:57 PM   #21
Pedro

Re: Recommend me a new ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrebandit View Post
Clearly, a bandit should be your choice. Lots of leg room, torque down low (you're not a small guy) and low insurance rates. Either generation bandit would work for you.
Tell me more about the Bandit. I used to ride a slabside GSXR1100, and from what I understand, the Bandit 12 used a newer version of the same engine (which was a serious stump-puller). Are they all still oil-cooled, or did they ever go to water-cooling? I know the big oil-cooled engine on my GSXR used to put out massive heat, but it was fully-faired. How is the heat (especially here in Texas) on a Bandit? What are the handling characteristics like? Fuel mileage? And how low of insurance are we talking about?

I emailed my short list to my insurance agent, should I have him look at the Bandit while he's at it?
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #22
h2000fb

Tiger! If you don't at least sit on or ride one, I think you might regret it!

Tom
05 R1200RT BMW
12 VStrom 650 Adv
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #23
terrebandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Tell me more about the Bandit. I used to ride a slabside GSXR1100, and from what I understand, the Bandit 12 used a newer version of the same engine (which was a serious stump-puller). Are they all still oil-cooled, or did they ever go to water-cooling? I know the big oil-cooled engine on my GSXR used to put out massive heat, but it was fully-faired. How is the heat (especially here in Texas) on a Bandit? What are the handling characteristics like? Fuel mileage? And how low of insurance are we talking about?

I emailed my short list to my insurance agent, should I have him look at the Bandit while he's at it?
The first generation and second generation bikes had air/oil cooled engines w/ carbs, just like your old GSXR. The difference is that the bandit is tuned for torque and has mucho grunt down low. I've had both bikes. The 1250 is water cooled and is fuel injected. Also a great bike.

No heat issues on any of the bandits. I put over 100K miles on my bandits; all in TX. The bike handles well but it not a sport bike by any stretch. I upgraded the stock suspension in mine (front and rear) and it handles like a dream now.

My insurance rates (full coverage) have never exceeded $300 per year (Dairyland). Good driving record, 50+, qualified for many discounts. Better have your agent check it out.

I also have an FJR. Its a big bike, maybe bigger than what you want (I think). I weigh 270 and the Bandit still pulls like a freight train. I prefer it for daily riding over the FJR. You can pick up a used low mileage bandit for 2,500 to 3,500 bucks easy (1st or second generation). Another plus is that they are easy to work on too. I do all my own maintenace.

good luck in your decision!

Dave
2000 SV650
____ o7o____o7o ___Ride Safe!
terrebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 01:05 AM   #24
JacknTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by klb1122 View Post
My vote: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52529

She is a bit heavy, but she'll do everything you want and more. Decent leg room, you can drag a knee on it if so inclined, and there are luggage options if you want to go that route. The best thing is that not everyone and their momma have them, but there is a great website with lots of support. I'm not biased or anything though.
Looks like that one is staying home. The one offer on it fell through and I was giving the bike away. I sold 3 bikes Sunday and after firing the big Z up listening to it, I have decided for that kind of money I'll just keep it for now. I think my low cost may have made ppl think it was a junker. I was just trying to move it.
People really do not get how much of a bike this is when you can find a clean one.

The best Rx is repeat as needed.
JacknTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:39 AM   #25
bushwhacker

I voted other.

I recommend something with long travel dual sport type suspension. On the street with the suspension set up properly they are the cadillac ride of the motorcycle world.

There are so many good ones.

I ride the BMW F800GS

There is also -

Ducati Multistrada

Triumph Tiger

BMW 1200GS

Suzuki V-Strom

and more.

Test ride a few and see how they feel.

2009 F800GS - Yellow/Black ABS
2008 Turbo Sky - Carbon Flash ABS
bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:34 AM   #26
Hamie

Here's my vote...
http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/2063042240.html
Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #27
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by klb1122 View Post
My vote: http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52529

She is a bit heavy, but she'll do everything you want and more. Decent leg room, you can drag a knee on it if so inclined, and there are luggage options if you want to go that route. The best thing is that not everyone and their momma have them, but there is a great website with lots of support. I'm not biased or anything though.
I like that a lot, but I don't think Jack's interested in my 636, and it looks like he's keeping it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushwhacker View Post
I voted other.

I recommend something with long travel dual sport type suspension. On the street with the suspension set up properly they are the cadillac ride of the motorcycle world.

There are so many good ones.

I ride the BMW F800GS

There is also -

Ducati Multistrada

Triumph Tiger

BMW 1200GS

Suzuki V-Strom

and more.

Test ride a few and see how they feel.
Unfortunately, I think the only thing on that list that might be in my price range is the V-Strom. I've never been on one, but it doesn't seem like it's really what I'm looking for. My riding is all pavement, so I don't think I need any off-road capabilities, minimal as they may be.

Here is the list I sent my insurance agent:
1. Yamaha FZ1 (2001-2005) 998cc
2. Yamaha FZ6 (2004-2008) 599cc
2. Honda VFR (1998-2001) 782cc
3. Kawasaki ZRX 1100 (1997-2000) 1052cc and ZRX1200 (2001-2005) 1164cc
4. Kawasaki ZZR1200 (2002-2005) 1164cc

This morning I added two more:
5. Suzuki Bandit 1200S (1997-2006) 1157cc
6. Honda VTR1000F Superhawk (1997-2005) 996cc

I had forgotten all about the Superhawk. I remember sitting on one back around '03, but didn't actually ride it. I just remember being impressed with the leg room, fuel gauge, and sound. Most Hondas bore me to death, but that's one of the few that actually turns my crank. From what I hear, the range on them isn't the best, but otherwise folks seem to like them. Because they were relatively unchanged during their entire run, I should be able to get my hands on one cheap. Anybody have any personal experience with a Superhawk?
Old 11-17-2010, 10:13 AM   #28
connick

BAM!
That might be the 2nd-best looking 5th gen I've ever seen.
IBA #41999
Fort Worth Motorcycle Riders
connick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #29
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by connick View Post
BAM!
That might be the 2nd-best looking 5th gen I've ever seen.
That is gorgeous, and the upgrades on it are very nice. I wonder how much those rearsets alter foot position.

I might have to take a ride up to New Braunfels this weekend.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #30
h2000fb

Quote:
.... Unfortunately, I think the only thing on that list that might be in my price range is the V-Strom. I've never been on one, but it doesn't seem like it's really what I'm looking for. My riding is all pavement, so I don't think I need any off-road capabilities...
In my most humble opinion, their is nothing off-road about the VStrom. Off-road, it was no better than my 1200RT BMW - none... just looked more like it would be. Sold it because I did not need two road bikes.

You should ride one. It is very nimble, lots of go and great riding position. Certainly no slouch.

Tom
05 R1200RT BMW
12 VStrom 650 Adv
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:50 PM   #31
Pedro

So I heard back from my insurance agent.

I carry liability coverage, comprehensive, and uninsured/underinsured property damage coverage with $500 deductibles. I don't need bodily injury because I have Tricare, and I don't carry collision because it adds a lot to the price and if I wad it up on my own I'll eat it. I'm paying $360 per year for my 636 right now, and the quotes I got were as follows:

- Suzuki GFS1200S Bandit, 1997 $262, 2006 $307

- Honda VTR1000F, 1998 $413, 2005 $509

- Honda VFR800FI, 1998 $313, 2001 $313

- Kawasaki ZRX1100, 1999 $262

- Kawasaki ZRX1200, 2001 $413, 2005 $509

- Yamaha FZ-1 2001 $413, 2005 is $509

I really expected the rates for all of these bikes to be lower than what I'm paying currently, but I guess that just means I'm getting a pretty decent deal right now. I even comparison shopped a couple other companies and nothing was really better. Do those numbers look anything like what you folks are paying for this kind of machinery?

With this info, the VFR, Bandit, and ZRX are definitely looking more attractive. I really think I'm gonna have to go look at that one at AF1 this weekend.

Alternatively, I wonder if the Buell peg mod will work for my 636 for the time being.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:08 PM   #32
bushwhacker

Quote:

Unfortunately, I think the only thing on that list that might be in my price range is the V-Strom. I've never been on one, but it doesn't seem like it's really what I'm looking for. My riding is all pavement, so I don't think I need any off-road capabilities, minimal as they may be.

I did 3000 miles on a Valkyrie and it was fun most of the time but I could really feel it at the end of the day.

I flew to Anchorage and rented a KLR and did 5000 miles in 16 days and felt pretty good at the end of the day.

This trip made a believer out of me in the long travel suspension.

Since then I have had an 05 Tiger, an 04 Multistrada, an 07 Tiger and now an 09 F800GS.

The only ones that have been off road even a little were the 05 Tiger and the GS (and not very much).

I just got back from a 3500 mile trip to the Grand Canyon, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico and back to Houston (All Pavement - My riding buddy was on an Ultra Classic) and the bike performed flawlessly.

The ride was great, I felt great at the end of each day, the bike did great in the twisties and was a dream on high speed highways such as 85 in West Texas.

I am not talking about going off road. Just because a bike has the capabilities to go off road does not mean you have to do it.

I am talking about a suspension set up that allows you to feel rested and ready to keep going at the end of the day.

9-11 inches of suspension travel is way easier on the old bod than 4-6 inches of suspension travel.

2009 F800GS - Yellow/Black ABS
2008 Turbo Sky - Carbon Flash ABS
bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 11:12 PM   #33
budzrex

ZRX is a great all rounder, I tour with mine with the Ventura pack
system.

Wind blast is not bad at all especially with one of several aftermarket screen options, if I was in town this weekend I would let you try mine but I will
Be in Arkansas riding this weekend
1992 RM250
2010 Dodge Challenger R/T
2005 Dodge Ram

The best times in life are often behind bars
just pick horizontal ones
budzrex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #34
jsb223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy Weasel View Post
<cough> Tiger </cough>

Easy on the joints... sporty without being a sportbike... and that little extra bit of suspension travel helps make up for crappy pavement.
With the medical issues you talked about something like the Tiger
deserves a serious look...

If the roads there are anywhere as bad as the roads around Waco
the extra suspension travel will help a lot.

BTW at 6-6 and bad knees the ZRX will be cramped...not GSXR cramped...
but seat to peg distance will quickly be an issue.
Even with the Buell peg mod.
jsb223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #35
TallGears

Just want to throw out the opinion of another 6'6" rider who has had alot of time riding my 07 (gen II) Yamaha FZ1.

It sounds like you want to get out of the full lean of a supersport but still want the power and performance of one. If you are looking for something that you can drag a knee on and flick around but do it sitting in an upright position, don't look at anything past an FZ1. Its got literbike roll on power all the time which is great for that 60 mile commute and lets you sit up without as much leg cramp and lean forward that puts pressure on your wrists.

I've had wrist surgery and broken ankles and heels so I wanted something that was comfortable because of previous injuries as well and loved the FZ1 because of it. I tried the R1 and other similar bikes but could not do it for long because of the riding position, the FZ1 gave me that R1 without the body aches.

The riding position is nice for us taller guys because our height lets us sit up in an even more upright position. I recently sold my FZ1 ONLY because I wanted to start dirt riding and bought an XR650L. However, if my surface desire had not changed I would have kept that FZ1 without a second consideration.

There are aftermarket full fairing kits available which I added to mine which gave it the supersport look if that is what you desire aswell as the added wind protection and aerodynamics we all desire as the tach continues to climb.

I can mostly speak for the Gen II FZ1 but I know the Gen I is very similar only carbed, a slightly less agressive riding position but not as sporty setup in suspension or uncorked power.

I really just loved having that truely sportbike power and handling capability all while sitting in a neutral riding position.
TallGears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #36
WildWings

Quote:
I got inspired by another thread and decided to start my own.
Yeah, your list looks a lot like mine did. I ended up buy the sv1000, and it's great fun. The only other bike That I keep thinking about is a buell. Are they off your radar?

Anyway, I recommend the sv or Buell, but an fz1 otherwise. Do you think the VFR800 is too heavy? I don't know, I just heard they were heavier. But that single side swing arm is hot.

2003 sv1000n
1985 GS450
1976 CT90 (project)
WildWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #37
RedAggie03

SV1000S <3
1996 Suzuki Bandit 600S - SOLD
RedAggie03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:53 PM   #38
WildWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAggie03 View Post
SV1000S <3
yeah, didn't yours win sv of the month a while ago on svrider?

2003 sv1000n
1985 GS450
1976 CT90 (project)
Old 11-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #39
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildWings View Post
Yeah, your list looks a lot like mine did. I ended up buy the sv1000, and it's great fun. The only other bike That I keep thinking about is a buell. Are they off your radar?

Anyway, I recommend the sv or Buell, but an fz1 otherwise. Do you think the VFR800 is too heavy? I don't know, I just heard they were heavier. But that single side swing arm is hot.
Buells are not off my list, but my preference would be for a Uly, and all of those seem to be out of my price range. Barring that, the XB12S may be a possibility, but then I'm back to my concern about wind protection.

I've never ridden a VFR, but I am a little reluctant. It seems to me that they would have the least favorable power/weight ratio on my list. More, though, is just the fact that it's a Honda. Nothing against Hondas- they are great bikes- but they've always just seemed a little boring to me. They do everything right, there just seems to be something missing for me. Of course, I'm sure one ride and I'd be singing a different tune.

For the time being, I'm gonna try out the Buell peg mod. I do think the time is coming for me to make a bike swap, but I'm in no huge hurry. I can be patient and wait for just the right bike to come along. Maybe I'll even get lucky and be able to buy another bike outright- I would like to keep the 636 as a backroad scratcher/track toy.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #40
WildWings

Quote:
For the time being, I'm gonna try out the Buell peg mod. I do think the time is coming for me to make a bike swap, but I'm in no huge hurry. I can be patient and wait for just the right bike to come along. Maybe I'll even get lucky and be able to buy another bike outright- I would like to keep the 636 as a backroad scratcher/track toy.
Yeah, I secretly covet 636's. I like the Buell XBs, and I understand the wind problem, as I face it daily on this sv, but for some reason a can't get away from liking naked bikes. Someday I'll grow up and want the wind protection and the heated seat, grips, radio, CB, etc.

2003 sv1000n
1985 GS450
1976 CT90 (project)