• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barnwell Mt.

Reaction score
First Name
Albert
Last Name
Schilling
A group of us went out to Barnwell Mt. outside of Gilmer yesterday. It's part of the TMTC http://www.texasmotorizedtrails.com/. Most of us have been there before but it was back when the place first opened. We all had a really great time. You have to share a lot of the trails with 4X4's as well as 4 wheelers, but there are some nice single track runs as well. It can be a little unnerving to come blasting down a trail and end up face to face with a big lifted jeep. The folks in the 4X4's we came up on were very courteous and always tried to make room for us to pass. We actually stopped a few times to watch some of them negotiate the hill climbs. The trails are marked at the head with signs showing the degree difficlty. There's lots of red clay and loose rocks there. I found most of the hills to be easier then the ones we're used to climbing at Muenster. They do tend to be much longer though. Just have to keep on the gas is all. :-P The single track stuff had a little bit of everything to offer from fast paced stuff to bar wrenching thread the needle stuff.

One beef I have is the map they provide is pretty lame. We were told there is a 20+ mile single track loop, but were never able to find it. We did end up on a couple sections but lost it when it joined some of the other trails. Aside from that plenty of good things. They have a snack bar, showers, RV/Trialer hook ups, and camping areas. Im definatley going back.

The next time you go back Hood Ornament, I'll be there.

I know where the trailhead is for all that single track and could keep you on it for probably 20+ miles without getting lost I think.

It's sometimes a little tricky when it crosses other trails but I was just there a month or two ago and should be able to keep us on that trail.

If you had done that large single track loop, you'd be much more impressed with the place.

Sorry I didn't make it.

You guys interested in going Saturday?
I'm going to the Daytona Party Sunday so I need to ride dirt on Saturday.

There will be 50 or so jeeps going this next weekend for the LSJC election run. If anyone goes and wants to ride around on some of the same trails in jeeps, ask for Adam and I will take you for a spin. And if you get to the point where you need to be back on 2 wheels, I might be able to do that too.:eek2:

And Albie, yeah, the map sucks. It only works when my co-pilot watches the map very closly as I am driving.

Hammer said:
You guys interested in going Saturday?
I'm going to the Daytona Party Sunday so I need to ride dirt on Saturday.

Nope. I'm working. Have to go on Sunday. Besides, is there any doubt who's gonna win? I guess you can enjoy the fight for 2nd place. :rofl:

It's not really about the race. It's about making a donation to Empower Your Future, having some fun with friends and spending money on raffles hoping to clean up like Ruth and I did last year.

Hood Ornament said:
Dude, I forgot. Besides, you can still READ the dang TSBA BBS. :moon:

Yeah, I "could"...but I'd rather not. :zen:

If my ear infection(s) go down a bit I'm up for a saturday/sunday run. I was thinking enduro out west...but a trip to muenster sounds like more fun. :rider:

James, we're trying to keep it a secret. We are plotting to take over TWT. Keep that on the DL. :lol2:

I'll keep you posted L0weed. If I ride, it'll be Saturday.

I'll see if I can drum up some interest on the TSBA board as well.

Not much interest from the typical TSBA dirties.
Marty hasn't posted all week.
Massey hasn't replied.
Uwe is going to Concho.
Amber is going to Concho.

I'm going to Muenster.
My boss and his kids are riding there. Those boys can ride so there isn't any speed issue with them along. They enjoy roosting their Dad.

We'll be parked somewhere around the pavilion down by the river. If you come looking, you'll find my truck near to a pewter Suburban pulling a trailer.

Thanks for the heads up Darren. As of today I have to work some in the am to keep up with taking monday off for Cresson. I may go piddle around some sunday instead. HAve fun.

You missed an excellent day L0weed.
Very little billy goating. Lot's of twisty single track like you enjoy.

I was introduced to some trail that is right beside stuff that we run all the time, we've just never taken the fork in the road.

I'll show you the next time we hook up.

Back