• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Newbie In Robertson County. Need Used Bike

Reaction score
Hey,

Texas native just moving back from a detour in California. Minimal experience riding motorized bikes. Dad never let us ride anything except bicycles. Rode a couple three wheeler's back in the 80's around a yard once. One Christmas I got my moms old Honda Trail 70 and rode that thing into the ground. Eleven years later my next bike was a brand new 05 Suzuki Boulevard M50. Ended up putting over 20k miles on it all over Cali. Yosemite and all of PCH/Hwy 1 were the best. Then the thing exploded while my friend was riding it in 08. That was the last time I went riding until I stopped by a friends house on the way out here. He took me on some back trails in Apple Valley, CA on his ATC's and had the time of my life. I rode a 110 for over 150 miles of gnarly desert terrain. Now I got the riding bug again and its led me here. Can't wait for more. Look forward to any advice, opinions and leads on a good ugly cheap bike.

I'm looking for a 650. I like the DR more than the KLR because the better dirt capabilities. I'm also interested in the XR650R because its a Honda but its a kick start and everyone bashes the street version.
Found these what you guys think?

https://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/d/1999-suzuki-dr650-desert-rat/6562929947.html

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/593505911019793

I just want to ride I'm not to picky on what it is but I would prefer a more dirt capable bike so I can ride it around our property.

Thanks

Randal

20180515_101839.jpg

20180424_134849.jpg

20180417_102947.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd go for the DR personally, but ask for less 2200. It's pretty beat and does come with a lot of parts you can use or Ebay off, but I'd look at miles and running condition. Its pretty beat up and near 20 years old. They are built like an anvil and heard to destory, but still a 20 year old bike.

You still are going to need to replace some worn parts. He may have listed a KTM as a mod, but its still a spring and likely not the right one at that. You are going to spend a little time sorting all the stuff that is not stock as well. Likely the carb. Yes you might know where it came from, but the manual for tuning no longer applies. Not a bad thing if you understand carbs, but something to be aware of if you out and about and need something for carb. You likely not find it at a local Suzuki shop.

PS... you will want to put some wider pegs on that thing. Those will hurt on longer rides.

Also, that little trail bike in the drop box picture is great! I'd look at redoing that little guy.

Last edited:
Well looky there tiny.cc/2ueoty.
If you want to join the smaller displacement club [emoji14]

I'd go for the DR personally, but ask for less 2200. It's pretty beat and does come with a lot of parts you can use or Ebay off, but I'd look at miles and running condition. Its pretty beat up and near 20 years old. They are built like an anvil and heard to destory, but still a 20 year old bike.
Yeah I agree. Probably a little to beat up. Im looking at an 09 with 1200 miles for 3700. Not sure if its stock yet or not waiting on dealer to call me back.

You still are going to need to replace some worn parts. He may have listed a KTM as a mod, but its still a spring and likely not the right one at that. You are going to spend a little time sorting all the stuff that is not stock as well. Likely the carb. Yes you might know where it came from, but the manual for tuning no longer applies. Not a bad thing if you understand carbs, but something to be aware of if you out and about and need something for carb. You likely not find it at a local Suzuki shop.

Didn't think about that. Thanks for a fresh perspective on purchasing.
That's why I came on here.
PS... you will want to put some wider pegs on that thing. Those will hurt on longer rides.

Also, that little trail bike in the drop box picture is great! I'd look at redoing that little guy.

Planned on it. Just on the back burner for now. I have just aquired 96 acres of chores to work on. Just in time for the heat.

Well looky there tiny.cc/2ueoty.
If you want to join the smaller displacement club [emoji14]

Great looking bike. Not street legal though. I need something for highway travel. I'm an hour from Waco and College Station the Duramax gets expensive after a while.

:welcome: & enjoy! Good luck in your hunt.

I have a 2015 KLR in great shape sitting in my garage that needs to be sold. Not mine but my buddy won't be riding it anymore. Not a great pic but the only one I can find. Was taken just after he went down and broke his wrist. The plate in his arm is still healing.

Attachments

• eb16e30b2e3d4032c5aa398b73912d3c.jpg
    eb16e30b2e3d4032c5aa398b73912d3c.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
Fixed your images.

Here's a late welcome to the site! ;-)

Back