• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Alta electric gone?

Well that is a shame, they seem to be leading the way in this space. Feel bad for all they employees too. Hope they find the right deal to keep the alive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That freaking sucks! I hoped to buy one eventually. Hopefully they find funding. Wouldn't be surprised if one of the big Japanese manufacturers picked them up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm starting to take this personally! My wish list included having a Motus MST-R and an Alta Redshift EX-R in the garage. Like both companies, I lacked the funds to make the dream work.

I'm starting to take this personally! My wish list included having a Motus MST-R and an Alta Redshift EX-R in the garage. Like both companies, I lacked the funds to make the dream work.
Motus was another very tragic loss. They had plans to continue to produce the v4 crate engine last I heard

This is a real bummer. They were the company that I saw really pushing the technology forward and making progress on the range/performance/price balance that is going to be required for electric motorcycles to become a viable option. Hopefully somebody will see the potential and make the investment necessary to continue that progress.

Some interesting points. Not clear that the company is dead, just stopped production. That could be the standstill they need to right the ship. Wouldn't be surprised if HD was waiting to pick up the pieces on the cheap if they do shutter as it might be cheaper to buy tech and resources than buy into the current debt load. Personally, I'd love to see KTM pick them up, leverage their network and distribution and supplement / supplant the Freeride E-XC.

Hope they find the funding or partner to continue. I got to ride the redshift mx bike this year and really enjoyed it and feel it has real potential.

Dang it. Love their bikes. Rode one a couple of times at the TJs ride day.
I was wondering why TJs didnt have any in stock.

Want one as soon as they get to the 8 K range.

I was at Cycle Shack North yesterday and they have 2 or 3 of them sitting there.

If I felt like being in debt I'd be all over a mxr

I was at Cycle Shack North yesterday and they have 2 or 3 of them sitting there.

They'd have to offer a DEEP discount to get me to buy one in light of the fact that the company is in such uncertain condition right now...

I think that some dealers are stuck in limbo for a bit and may not be permitted to sell the inventory at any price until it gets cleared up. It depends on whether the inventory is owned outright by the dealer, floorplanned with a 3rd party, or floorplanned with Alta.

Talks are continuing so all is not lost just yet....
hopefully they will make a deal soon.

I saw several in SLM last time I was in there. I sure hope they don't get sacked on it. If I had some smaller property closer to others that I could ride out that garage I would certainly have one. Not sure I want to drive two hours each way to run out of juice in the woods!

If I had some smaller property closer to others that I could ride out that garage I would certainly have one.

For me this is where the electric bikes really shine. I don't think we've got solutions for all day riding in the mountains yet, but for those that have the property to go out and blast around for a bit out their back door, electric would be amazing to have.

That's what made me want one. Charge will last about as long as I will. Go ride in the morning, then charge, eat lunch, nap etc, then go ride again. Plus the low maintenace is a plus for me.

For me this is where the electric bikes really shine. I don't think we've got solutions for all day riding in the mountains yet, but for those that have the property to go out and blast around for a bit out their back door, electric would be amazing to have.

Agree! I have converted almost all my yard equipment to electric and absolutely love the convenience and simplicity. While others are filling up things with gasoline, checking their oil, tuning (or more likely detuning) their carburetors, and trying to start their weed eater, leaf blower, edger, chain saw, etc, I just slap in a battery and I am off. When I'm done, I put the battery in the charger and forget it. Electrics are virtually maintenance free, very few moving parts. An electric motor and a battery. No valves, no oil changes, no fuel mixture, no exhaust, no air emission equipment, yada, yada yada.

I suspect it's much like the wine cork though, the screw cap is a much better way to seal wine. But there's no romance in a screw cap!

Not to stray too far off topic here, but how are the current crop of electric lawn equipment. I know in the motorcycle and automobile segment there's been huge leaps in technology, but didn't know if it had made it's way to consumer level lawn stuff yet. Last time I used my FIL's weed eater it had about half the power of my gas one and had a hard time with dense tall grasses. I'm either needing to buy new stuff this year or suck it up and pay someone else to do it. Tired of tiny carbs myself.

Not to stray too far off topic here, but how are the current crop of electric lawn equipment. I know in the motorcycle and automobile segment there's been huge leaps in technology, but didn't know if it had made it's way to consumer level lawn stuff yet. Last time I used my FIL's weed eater it had about half the power of my gas one and had a hard time with dense tall grasses. I'm either needing to buy new stuff this year or suck it up and pay someone else to do it. Tired of tiny carbs myself.

Sorry about the highjack myself. With the right electrics they can be as good as gas. I have some Ryobi 18v stuff that sucks, but I went predominately with EGO 56v stuff. Read up on the battery technology, it is all pretty much the same batteries (lithium cells), but EGO did a much better job of designing the case for ventilation and chargers that work properly.

P.S. paying someone else is easiest!

My neighbor has the EGO set up. Looks pretty decent, but I don't want to replace batteries once every couple of years. My current lawn system (gas) is pretty old. Going on 15 years little to no maintenance at all. I beat on the stuff regular.

On a side note... I do a couple lawns in the hood and do sweat equity for race moneys and gas to ride. :rider:

I own several "larger" ranch style weed eaters, pole saw, blowers, chain saws, etc so I spend some time in the local Stihl and Husky shops. From what I understand they are getting better, but you have to buy several battery packs. They have a whole harness setup to carry batteries on your person. I thought about going the battery way, but they talked me out of it.

I just pony up the big bucks for the factory pre-mixed gallons of fuel. I think it is about $17.99 per gallon, but you can let things sit for months with the factory ethanol free fuel without any problems.

If I know I am going to burn through a couple of gallons in a day with the chain saws, I will run pump gas then at the end of the day dump out any remaining gas from the saw, fill with expensive stuff, then make my final cuts.

I did buy a 20 gallon gravity feed gas caddy thing, but need to remember to take it with me next time I go to Fredricksburg, they have stations with ethanol free gas.

Back