• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Well it started with an idea....

OldTLSDoug

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about selling my Aprilia 450, then it popped into my head that I love it and I would reseal the motor! So after looking into getting it done, it was about 1500-2000 for a proper job and about $1100.00 if I did it myself. So, enter Allen Noland from Noland Trans-World Cycle. He is the guru of Aprilia XV motors and he pops up an ad for a completely rebuilt and resealed 550 motor. So I bought it and swapped it and shipped the core back. It was fun, remarkably easy, and for want of a spark plug cap I am finished. I am doing 3 heat cycles at idle then I will ride it per the builder's instructions.

So here is a quick set of pictures describing the event.

Saw the motor online and bought it.

13177924_1023538681071781_5640818210723665005_n.jpg

It arrived last Friday

20160511_1452351.jpg

20160511_1455191.jpg

Out with the old, actually motor swapping is easy on the SXV. I actually enjoyed it, had a buddy help with the lifting and stuff.

20160512_0751121.jpg

20160518_082002.jpg

In with the new, amazing what a well organized and neat space can do to help you swap motors!:rofl:

20160518_134721.jpg

IMG_7347.jpg

I also installed a 6.4 kg/mm rear spring to help me with the squats at the track, maybe I can get her turned now!

IMG_7349.jpg

Believe it or not I had to drop the motor 4 times because of stuff I forgot, or didn't realize I had to install with it out. Most notably the heinous throttle bodies. This was a butt kicking of the highest order with regard to fiddly bits. But, once understood it is as precise and jewel-like as the rest of the bike. It really is easy to work on. Motor dropping is easy, which is good since you have to drop it to do the valves.

IMG_7353.jpg

Last night I went to the UPS store and shipped the old 450 motor to the guru. Need my core money! I am hoping it is good enough to get the full amount. Allen has rebuilt most of the XV motors in the USA since they got here. He is the guy to keep one fixed up and he is the most helpful guy when you are fixing one. I can't wait to ride the 550 full out. BRAAAP! :eek2::rider:

So Close!! The "hangy-down cable" is the connector to talk to the ECU via laptop.

IMG_0088.jpg

So ready to ride, woo hoo!

IMG_0089.jpg

Last edited:
So...let's see what the "Real cost" is here, you know, since the motor swap means you'll keep it at least another year.

New motor minus whatever you get for the core.
New rear spring.
New front suspension because you will want it.
Tires
New rear suspension because after doing the front you will want it.
Carbon fiber goodies.
Tires
Brake upgrade.
Another exhaust
And you are going to need tires.

:D

Have fun, go woot woot at the track.

Price is what you pay; value is what you get.

If you can afford to make it how you want AND enjoy the heck out of it, I believe that's a better value than flipping it to cut your losses.

Chris, like he's not gonna flip it anyway, and I don't mean physically, though that too is possible now. :D

Well much like my 2006 DR-Z400(434) which is a $3400.00 bike that I have about $11k in, the Aprilia is now a $3200.00 bike that I have $8.2K or so in. But as Chris says it is value. I decided I can never sell the DR-Z (Donna had made that clear, when for the 3rd time, I bought a DR-Z400) and now the SXV seems to be a keeper. The tires and brakes are new, the front is great, it just needed a spring. CF bits are way too much for the thing. Of course a set of Alpina wheels or Marchesini wheels might be an option. Of course, Daddy's gixxer is running in the 1:30's dipping into 1:29's almost, so I may need some Brembo mono-blocs for that puppy. I went really fast today, for me, of course Tye Howard passed me on his 1290 R in little bend and wheelied away flashing a peace sign.
Life is good. I am riding the C50 Boulevard to work in the morning to see what that is like. Be happy Jasen, you never know, I may find you a good deal that I don't snap up.

Back