• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Enclosed motorcycle trailer advice

Reaction score
I am considering buying my first trailer. I want an enclosed trailer probably one with the v-nose. What size(s) do board members recommend that I can pull with my 2004 F150(4.6 l the small V-8). Thanks!

You can easily pull a trailer of 16 feet with that truck, the question is what do you want to carry in the trailer? I have an enclosed 14ft (not V-nose) and can fit my goldwing and wifes VT750, or 4 dirt bikes.. If you are going to carry 1 road bike a 10 or 12 foot is more than big enough, 2 road bikes probably wants a 14 foot.

I fitted some wheel chocks and D rings in mine and it makes transporting the bikes much easier and safer..

Gary

Forgot to add that. At least two 650cc sized DS bikes with camping gear etc. Thanks for all advice so far!

If two DS bikes are all you are carrying, I would go for a single axle trailer of 12 feet long, I took a dual axle as I wanted electric brakes (The wing and VT are quite heavy!!:lol2:), Two DS bikes will weigh very little, and you can easily get both plus your gear in a 12 foot trailer. I also carry sun shades and chairs in the trailer so when we are dirt riding I have some shade to sit in!! A 12 foot trailer will give you plenty of room for those little extras!! But before buying, be sure you only need to carry 2 DS bikes, It gets expensive if you need to sell the trailer and buy a bigger one in a years time as you now want/need to carry more!! :rider:

Gary

I had a 6x12 and could carry (1) Goldwing or (2) DS or (1) DS AND (1) ST. If I had to do it again, I would go with a 7x14 or 16. The extra room will come in handy. Trust me on this one. :trust:

Good luck on your trailer hunting.

I had a 7x16' - too big for maneuvering around campgrounds (I sleep in mine). Then I got an 4x8' - well, just don't ever do that. Now I have a 6x12' - big enough for (2) Road Kings or (2) GSs with gear, single axle w/brakes, and it's been the perfect size. I pull it w/ an Expedition, same as a F150. After unloading the bikes, it becomes my cabin.

Back