• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

madstad

Reaction score
well after hours of aggravation dealing with two different mounting plates I'm done. I'm gonna box it all back up and send it back. I don't know what template their using for an 07 gsf1250 but it doesn't fit mine. very disappointing to say the least, thought it was the answer to my windscreen prayers. bending of tabs both on the bike and on the mounting plate is ridiculous, and should be completely unnecessary. not to mention it didn't work. this may well end up costing me the $300 I paid but if they can't make a mounting plate that fits I can't force it to fit. next up, the V stream . Any body using this shield? would like to hear any opinions about it. Thank, Gary. :giveup:

Have you talked with Madstad? The one on my bike was a **** to install and works great. Never regretted the purchase for an instant.

I don't know what the problem is, plus I don't know what a GSF1250 is, but I can tell you after having three bikes with the Madstad on them they are the perfect answer to my air flow problems. All fit like a glove and were top quality, I'm a perfectionist, I know.

trainman

Probably worth a call to be sure they sent the right kit. A Madstad should be about a 10-minute install with a couple of screwdrivers. I've had the kit on both my VStroms and it works quite well. That said, I'd still recommend a larger than stock windscreen, but that's just my preference.

Hi Gary. Sorry to hear that you haven't got the problem with your Madstad base plate sorted out.

As I told you in our PMs, the base for the Madstad assembly that I bought back in August of '09 fit onto the bike without any problems. I remember you mentioning that the base plate that you received had wellnuts attached to it. Also, what is the base plate made out of? The base that I received was made out of clear acrylic and had tabs similar to the stock windshield with clearance holes for the bolts to go through. Can you post a picture of the base plate that you received with your assembly? It really sounds like you have been sent the wrong base plate.

thanks all for your replies. after the first difficulty I talked to Mark at Madstad and he sent me a new mounting plate. same problem. I can't imagine fitting this thing in 10 minutes, I should be so lucky. also there is a difference between the gsf and the gsxfa. I'm sure they are nice people but I just don't know what else to do. the tabs at the bottom just are not wide enough, and I shouldn't have to start bending tabs to force it to fit. tried it, didn't work. disappointed as I said, but if it doesn't work then....... so I'll call them tomorrow and go from there. oh ya, the mounting plate is metal. no comment on the v-stream?

I also have one of the early models with the acrylic mounting base. The first one was drilled off center so they sent me a new one. Their quality control is certainly lacking. I ended up with the 22" Vstream. I think my Madstad is till in the attic.

FWIW, I have a MadStad on my 2011 GSX1250FA and it is spectacular.

Attachments

• gsxFinished.jpg
    gsxFinished.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
Have one on the Explorer and I am happy as a pig in poop with it. Excellent protection and easily removable to wesh in the sink with warm water.
Love it.

well I had it all boxed up and ready to send back, but after a long conversation with Mark I've decided to stick with it. Mark has said he'll do whatever it takes to make this work for me. In this day and age of questionable customer service I am impressed. So waiting for new mounting plate to come back.

I have to think that either you got the wrong part to begin with, or maybe the mounting point on the bike has some unusual anatomy? Are you the first owner of the bike?
I followed MadStaad threads for a while on VStroms before I got one for mine and this is the first time I've heard of someone having problems of any kind. Mine was bought used and installed in minutes.

second owner, but the tabs on the bike are welded in place so the original owner couldn't have moved them. seems like its the lower mounting tabs that are a little to wide. there's so much tension that the wellnuts will not hold the plate. maybe I'll try some bolts and washer combo on the lower ones next time. have to wait and see. thanks for the feedback.

well no. but after talking to Mark he made it plain he would do whatever it took to get this taken care of. I sent him a Suzuki shield I took off of mine and he sent another, the third one, mounting plate. I don't have good thoughts about this fitting any better. anyway I have the new plate but haven't tackled the problem yet. I'm thinking since its metal on metal my idea of using a locking washer,nut and blue Loctite might just work.

so now that I know people are watching I actually got the mounting plate and the shield on today! note: if you have any 07 gsf1250 you will have to take off the mirrors and loosen the nose cowling, madstadd didn't think so, but maybe my bike was enough different than the ones they worked on. I want to give a shout out right now to my ice pick and plastic ties. that pick worked great at helping line up the wellnuts on the lower two connections. now getting the nose cowling back in place was a problem. the plate hits the cowling so it was difficult to get the two upper tabs to line up. I had to dremel it a little bit. after much wasted time and aggravation I gave up on putting the two screws for the nose cowling back. wanted to save the clips so I thought I'd run a plastic tie through them. eventually I discovered that they were to wide. so out they came and ties inserted, cinched up and cut off extra. I'm ok with this because there other screws holding the cowling. I have one inch mirror wideners which throw a little monkey wrench into adjusting the shield, which went on really easy. the middle locking nut the factory sets will be my next adjustment attempt. I did ride it and it does seem to offer more protection, but it was windy so I'll need to ride it more this way to find out if this is where I want to leave the shield. so the drama is over. to be honest it was way to much work for installing a simple windscreen.:rider:

Just a thought, I wonder if the bike may have been in an accident previously which has bent the front fairing/screen frame. Does the original screen look as those it's mounting holes have been worked on (elongated) to fit the frame ? They should be simple round holes if not moded.

Take it to an Independent Shop to see if they can fit it. Or is there anyone near you who can help?
I have a 2007 and I installed a Zero Gravity touring screen. The wellnut on the left side-front was hard to re-thread. Suzuki redesigned the screen in 2009, made it easier.

shield is on. perhaps I should put some blue Loctite on mounting bracket nuts as vibration seems to loosen them up a little and then its starts to rattle a little bit. just annoying is all. happy with the shield though. :rider:

Just put one on the Harley too
32364dbd7ecd66031dd75e49639f3294.jpg
eee1557f92a48f531cb2d86d1b7024c8.jpg

And have one on the Triumph.
Best there is

The founder Mark is a good guy. I did some testing for him on a Harley Ultra Limited, the bat winged touring model. While it works wonders for the fixed fairing models, road glides we could not get it to work very well on the bat wing.

Back