• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Red River-Sherman/Denison

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Cruce
I've been browsing the bridges and I'm surprised not to see this one bridge I went over about three years...unless I haven't searched enough. Problem, can't think of the name, if it has one?

This bridge crosses the Red River somewhere east of the Sherman/Denison area. It originally was constructed for covered wagons with I think a lane for foot walking...circa-mid 1800's. Sometime later it was used as a rail road bridge. Then eventually car traffic with the original foot or wagon part of the bridge on the east side of the one lane bridge.

Its used for crossing, but you have to watch for other vehicles, and if you see one, have to wait for it to cross over before you can go the other way.

I have a pic somewhere in my archives of me crossing this thing, but havn't run across it. Hopefully it may be on another hardrive I brought back from Abilene this week. I figure someone out there has info or pics of this thing.

Scotchale

That should be it, I don't quite know/remember where I heard the info on the wagon stuff from the 1800's? It looks more like it would have been more for the RR in the first place, then maybe that side part was for the wagon crossing? Perhaps the guy that told me about the bridge location thought there was something there prior to the RR bridge being built, may have been?

The historical marker clarifies everything though, thanks for that pic as well.

My wife and lived in Wylie three years ago and we took a ride up towards the Denison area following another rider who took us to that bridge. Took some pics crossing back and fourth on it.

Thanks,
scotchale

east from down town denison, tx on fm 120

there is a marker at the south end, explaining the bridge's history

it is an old railroad bridge that had a wagon ledge, hanging on the side

after the railroad died, the bridge was surfaced & is now a 1 lane auto bridge

the wagon ledge is still there, in part

sorry the picture isn't any better

shiny side up

Attachments

• wagon shelf bridge.jpeg
    wagon shelf bridge.jpeg
    4.6 KB · Views: 353
Here are some pictures I made last year up there on a ride with my son. Great place to visit and not far out of Dallas. Cars and light trucks use it daily and it's fun to walk across the old wagon part. Be careful, there are some holes in it. It was either lightning strikes or some dumb butt started a fire. You can actually see large fish in the river below when the river isn't running hard.

IMG_0002.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0019.jpg

IMG_0016.jpg

GREAT PICTURES!!

they tell the story better than my words ever could

many thanks

shiny side up

I took a ride up there a few weekends ago. Nice day ride from Dallas. You can take mostly dirt/gravel if you like that sorta thing. I was surprised at all the local traffic using this bridge. It's one lane, so you gotta make sure nobody is coming when you cross. There are some trails you can access from the Oklahoma side. Here's a link to a great website for old bridges. http://www.bridgehunter.com/

DSC00770-M.jpg

WOW!!!

that bridgehunter website is SUPER!!!!!!

& so easy to navigate

thanks for sharing it

shiny side up

Back