TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Special Places > Texas Bridges

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 04-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #21
Sockwell

Re: piano bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk51 View Post
The bridge when Walter jumps out of the car near the end?

From what I remember the movie was filmed near Austin. It would be fun to find the bridge that they used.

The film crew supposedly shut down I35 for several hours to film the airplane flight under the bridge...

That is a cool bridge...
I don't think you'll be flying an airplane under that bridge.
Sockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:03 PM   #22
Gilk51
Pie Man v2.0 (retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockwell View Post
I don't think you'll be flying an airplane under that bridge.
Yeah, that was confusing - they flew the airplane under an underpass on I35, I think.
Gilk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 PM   #23
Sockwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilk51 View Post
Yeah, that was confusing - they flew the airplane under an underpass on I35, I think.
I always though about flying my plane under the Lake Fork bridge before it was filled with water, more than enough room then. but I didn't.
Sockwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:06 PM   #24
Marc B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastrel View Post
that looks like the bridge that was in the movie second hand lions.
The SHL bridge is in Coupland TX. just east of hwy 95 between Elgin and Taylor here it is. http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/IMG_0067.jpg
07 TTR230
New out of crate TAO110, do these things have a year ?
78 XL75
Marc B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 04:16 PM   #25
Marc B

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/x...r/IMG_0056.jpg Here is the store/gas station where they found the boy looking at his map after running away and also where they filmed the fight scene with the teenagers inside, the pumps were put in for the movie and then removed, the pavement was also covered with leaves, notice the wood bay door on the right is half black and just to the left of it, it looks like an H on the wall, both of these features can be seen in the movie. SZ
07 TTR230
New out of crate TAO110, do these things have a year ?
78 XL75
Marc B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #26
MotoTex

Unhappy Piano Bridge update

The Piano Bridge at Dubina has been officially closed by TXDOT since late 2010.

There are a few groups hoping to help the county find a way to refurbish it and save the bridge. Google "Dubina Piano Bridge" and you will find some good links.

Only a few weeks ago I was able to get around the signs and ride across it. Seemingly, for the last time.

MotocycleBelle and I went to visit it last weekend and they have now welded bars across the road at both ends of the bridge to prevent access.

Having earned my MC license at age 15 in Schulenburg, I have crossed that one many times, and other similar bridges in the area which are now long since gone.

It used to be a thrill for me to jump up onto the bridge with my TS100 when all those back roads were gravel, and all my "shortcuts" were the longest distance between two points.

Give it a good once-over and it would be in service for another hundred and twenty-five years. I do hope the bridge can be saved.

CURRENT BIKES: '00 Suzuki DRZ400E-Plated; '13 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '04 KTM 950 Adventure
MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:33 PM   #27
M38A1
Administrator

Not so fast...... A good friend and riding buddy is the TXDOT Bridge Engineer for this and he's got the scoop... Let me ping him and get an update.

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown

2002 BMW R1150GS - I just call it "Number 5"...
2003 Honda Rancher ES - A work in progress...
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:21 AM   #28
el_lobo_loco57

Re: Piano Bridge

Scott, I am happy to update everyone on the Piano Bridge.

We currently have a team of structural engineers and technicians completing the plans for the restoration of the Piano Bridge in the TxDOT Bridge Division. My Design Group contains some of the State's Historic Bridge experts and we do a majority of the State's historic bridge rehab work.

The Piano Bridge was closed because cracked gusset plates at the L1 joints in the top chord were discovered by Division and District Inspection personnel. The most severe is located on the Schulenburg side where you can see out-of-plane deflection in the top chord. It is suspected that a heavy vehicle approached the bridge from the Schulenburg side at a high rate of speed and launched onto the bridge, landing in the vicinity of the floor beam that is hung from the top chord at this joint. (This is the first hung floor beam as you move from the bearings towards the centerline of the truss.) The cracked plate is up inside the joint, and it is this plate in the four corners of the truss that governs the load rating of the structure.

This structure is a King Iron Truss built in 1885 and will be restored. All four plates will be replaced, the abutments will be replaced because of age and moved forward to provide a better approach span arrangement, the approach spans and end floor beams will be replaced because of corrosion and load rating issues, the dimensional lumber wood deck will be replaced with a glue-laminated deck that will perform better long-term, bent members and bridge rail will be heat-straightened, the approach guard fence will be replaced, and the structure will be cleaned and painted. All work will be done in a way to maintain the historic fabric of the structure.

We are completing the plans at this time and preparing the Letting Documents. The project will be let to contract in July 2011. It will take the Contractor a few months to mobilize, go through shop and erection drawing review, and have the structural steel and decking fabricated. Work on site will probably begin in Fall 2011, with completion approximately December 2012. When complete it will be a restored historical monument open to vehicular traffic with a load rating of HS12, meaning it will not require load posting.
el_lobo_loco57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:27 AM   #29
Janet
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_lobo_loco57 View Post
Scott, I am happy to update everyone on the Piano Bridge.

We currently have a team of structural engineers and technicians completing the plans for the restoration of the Piano Bridge in the TxDOT Bridge Division. My Design Group contains some of the State's Historic Bridge experts and we do a majority of the State's historic bridge rehab work.

The Piano Bridge was closed because cracked gusset plates at the L1 joints in the top chord were discovered by Division and District Inspection personnel. The most severe is located on the Schulenburg side where you can see out-of-plane deflection in the top chord. It is suspected that a heavy vehicle approached the bridge from the Schulenburg side at a high rate of speed and launched onto the bridge, landing in the vicinity of the floor beam that is hung from the top chord at this joint. (This is the first hung floor beam as you move from the bearings towards the centerline of the truss.) The cracked plate is up inside the joint, and it is this plate in the four corners of the truss that governs the load rating of the structure.

This structure is a King Iron Truss built in 1885 and will be restored. All four plates will be replaced, the abutments will be replaced because of age and moved forward to provide a better approach span arrangement, the approach spans and end floor beams will be replaced because of corrosion and load rating issues, the dimensional lumber wood deck will be replaced with a glue-laminated deck that will perform better long-term, bent members and bridge rail will be heat-straightened, the approach guard fence will be replaced, and the structure will be cleaned and painted. All work will be done in a way to maintain the historic fabric of the structure.

We are completing the plans at this time and preparing the Letting Documents. The project will be let to contract in July 2011. It will take the Contractor a few months to mobilize, go through shop and erection drawing review, and have the structural steel and decking fabricated. Work on site will probably begin in Fall 2011, with completion approximately December 2012. When complete it will be a restored historical monument open to vehicular traffic with a load rating of HS12, meaning it will not require load posting.

.......Janet
2008 FJR
Blue Knights TX XXI
IBA 18308

"Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them."
Thomas Paine

Janet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #30
Gilk51
Pie Man v2.0 (retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
Ditto, thanks, el lobo
Gilk51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 06:44 PM   #31
focus frenzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat View Post
Watch the special features on the DVD and you'll see it was filmed in and all around Austin, Bastrop, Lockhart, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CycleCat View Post
I own that movie on DVD but don't remember that in it. I"ll have to look again next time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastrel View Post
that looks like the bridge that was in the movie second hand lions.
EASTER EGG: On the special features side of the DVD, go to the deleted scenes section. While at the top of the list, press the "up" button on your remote control and a star will appear and be highlighted. Press the "Okay" button and a clip of outtakes will come on showing all of the filmmakers' attempts at trying to put the rooster on the pig.
Old 05-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #32
MotoTex

Much like the cat that ate the cheese, I am waiting with ba(i)ted breath to see the Piano Bridge restoration completed.

And, looking forward to launching the KTM onto it in a feeble attempt to test the completed work.

Thank you TXDOT for preserving this unique landmark!

CURRENT BIKES: '00 Suzuki DRZ400E-Plated; '13 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '04 KTM 950 Adventure
Old 12-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #33
bmcdonau

The piano Bridge is no more. I went to Ammansville to get FM 1965 for the farm roads game and decided to take the short ride to Dubina to see the Church and Piano Bridge. Tnis is what I found.

I guess it's being restored? They aren't saving many pieces.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #34
ysr612

thanks; but part of me wishes I hadn't clicked on this thread.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 06:44 PM   #35
MotoTex

Very cool! Construction has begun on the restoration!

Maybe they'll have it done by Summer.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:07 PM   #36
Meriden

The bridge should be in the field nearby. They will be putting in new footing, replacing rivets and some beams. Then back she goes ready for spring riding!

There is a documentary being made on the reconstruction of the bridge.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 07:38 PM   #37
ysr612

thank for more update that picture sure looked like they were going to put a pre-stress concrete span in there or something similar.
ysr612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:28 PM   #38
David Lee

http://bridgehunter.com/tx/fayette/piano/

Found an interesting site while looking for photos.

bridge hunter !

Last year I visited the Regency Suspension Bridge between Mill and San Saba Counties. It's the one shown at the beginning of Texas Country Reporter.

http://bridgehunter.com/tx/mills/regency/

The gravel road approaching this span was one of my least favorite rides ever. LOOSE gravel on a highly crowned road.
Old 02-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #39
M38A1
Administrator

Received this from my TxDOT Bridge Engineer friend last night. He's El_loco_lobo a few posts up from this one (post #28).

It was removed, completely disassembled, cleaned, repaired, new parts cast or fabricated, painted, and it is now being reassembled, mostly riveted in the original way. The abutments and approach spans were replaced also. I need to be at work to check the date, but it will be completed around June 1, I think.

Lloyd

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown

2002 BMW R1150GS - I just call it "Number 5"...
2003 Honda Rancher ES - A work in progress...
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #40
Meriden

Riding the Willow Springs bridge this weekend reminded me of the truss bridges in Gonzales county. In the first decades of the last century the county judge bought ten bridges (I think) for the county. I know of two on public right of ways that are still open to traffic. JMZ tells me he knows of a couple of others.

Sadly these bridges are at some risk from progress. The Eagle Ford Shale has created lots of heavy truck traffic in parts of south Texas and I expect some of the old bridges and the narrow dirt roads will fall victim to improvement. So it goes. Better ride them now.

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote