TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Special Places > Texas Bridges

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2012, 09:59 PM   #41
M38A1
Administrator

Re: piano bridge

And another update received tonight...

It will be really nice when finished. Nels R-----, one of the foremost historic bridge rehab contractors in the US, is doing the work. We are hoping he will get the contract for the next two bridges on the list, Wildcat Road and Providence Road Bridges up near College Station. We have showed him the sites. There is a film crew documenting the work and I will let all of the groups know if/when there is a dedication ceremony for Piano, which I imagine the county will want to hold for this project.

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown

2002 BMW R1150GS - I just call it "Number 5"...
2003 Honda Rancher ES - A work in progress...
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:48 PM   #42
M38A1
Administrator

BREAKING NEWS........

From my TxDOT Bridge Engineer friend Lloyd:

We are having the Piano Bridge ribbon-cutting ceremony on Monday, April 2nd at 9:00am. I'll have a news release out for Fayette County, but want to ensure your buddies get a special invite!

The Contractor, the County Judge and other local officials will speak, they may have a team of Clydesdales, probably a couple of antique cars, etc to cross the bridge as part of the ceremony. Remind folks to bring their kick stand plates, as it may be soft and muddy.

"Everyone should have something in their life that requires a helmet" - Ann Sweeney
"Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired" - Unknown

2002 BMW R1150GS - I just call it "Number 5"...
2003 Honda Rancher ES - A work in progress...

Last edited by M38A1; 03-20-2012 at 04:11 PM.
M38A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #43
el_lobo_loco57

The Piano bridge rehabilitation is almost complete and it will be opened Monday April 2 with a Ribbon Cutting ceremony. There will be a horse and buggy, maybe a team of Clydesdales, antique cars, and speeches by the local county commissioner, county judge, State Representative, the contractor and the TxDOT District Engineer...plus the cutting of a big ribbon with big scissors....all covered by the news media. Everyone is welcome to come and revel in the festivities! The TxDOT Yoakum District Public Information officer wanted me to invite all of my biker buddies that enjoy the area. The analysis and design, plan production, and construction engineering was accomplished within my bridge design group team. This will occur on site at the Piano Bridge near the Dubina Painted Church. Bring your kick stand plates as it may be soft and muddy. Click here for recent a You Tube clip.
el_lobo_loco57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:23 PM   #44
dvacek

From the Schulenburg Sticker newspaper:
Piano Bridge
By Ed Janecka
Fayette County Judge

In the late 1870s, the East Navidad Bohemian Community (later named Dubina) was a thriving place. The new church was just constructed and Joseph Kocurek just finished building his Cotton Gin. Joseph Peter opened a saloon, hotel, a gristmill, a blacksmith shop and a well-stocked general store. There were new immigrants arriving weekly.

Joseph Peter, being a good businessman, was looking for ways to expand his business. The people living west side of the East Navidad River had a difficult time getting to Dubina. On Aug. 13, 1877, the Commissioners Court of Fayette County was petitioned by a group of citizens to construct a second class road from the Schulenburg La Grange Road to the present sight of the Catholic Church in Dubina.

The proposed road would start at the Pilot Grove Moravia and Weimar Road, continue southwest in front of the Catholic Church, in front of the Peter Store, continue west to Haydens Branch and continue west to the Navidad River, then southwest, then west to the Middle Creek and continuing to the Schulenburg La Grange Road at the corner of the Morgan and High Hill Road.

As more and more people were frequenting Dubina from the west, there was concern about the constant floods and the danger of low water crossing. On June 11, 1885, a group of citizens petitioned the Fayette County Commissioners Court to construct a bridge over the East Navidad. On Aug. 15, 1885, the Commissioners Court ordered that an iron bridge, the span of which would be 100 feet, would be constructed across the East Navidad and not to exceed the cost of $3,100. The local citizens would come up with the money for the approaches to the bridge. The King Iron Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio was contracted to build the bridge. Several months later, the bridge arrived in Schulenburg by train, was unloaded, and was transported by mules to the East Navidad site.

Construction was under the supervision of the King Iron Bridge Company of Cleveland, Ohio. The last part of December 1885, there was a large amount of rain in the area which caused the iron bridge, in the process of being constructed, to be laid on its side. Fortunately, the only loss was a good portion of the lumber that floated downstream. The King Bridge Company quickly uprighted the iron bridge and completed the construction.

Many stories could be told about this old bridge. It is a tradition to blow the horn upon entering the bridge. This started back when Model T Fords became popular. The fuel tank on the Model T was gravity driven, and if the gas tank was low on gas, the engine would stall out going up the incline of the bridge. Consequently, the vehicle had to manage to turn around and travel backward up the incline of the bridge. Obviously, this caused concern not being able to see someone.

The bridge was also a source of comfort at times. When some of the locals were hunting fox or coon down in the bottom and a fog set in, it could be difficult to tell which direction you were going. When a vehicle went over the bridge and the distinctive sound of the bridge could be heard, everyone knew which direction they were going and where they were at. The bridge was often a good place for young people to meet and a great parking place. If this old bridge could talk, what very interesting stories it could tell.

The bridge was always referred to as “The Big Bridge” by the locals. That was to distinguish it from the smaller bridge across Haydens Branch, or as the locals called it the Hickie Branch. It is unclear who actually was the first person to give the Piano Bridge its name, because of the melodious sounds that the boards of the bridge made as a vehicle drove across it.

The new bridge will no longer make that distinctive sound, but we are thrilled to have it back and hope it will be here for the next 125 years.
GWRRA Master Tour Rider #4849
IBA #22108
dvacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #45
Duke

taken yesterday.

Duke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #46
Mudclod

That's beautiful, I've got to see it! Here's one we visited on Little River yesterday.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #47
Yeeha! Stephen

She's still going strong (despite the "weak" sign) , we cruised her a few days ago.
Attached Thumbnails
2016 Piano Bridge.jpg  

MotoGP - Soap Opera for Men

"Why eat a burger when you can have pie?"
Ms Vicki 2002 @ Lost Maples Cafe, Utopia Tx
Yeeha! Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #48
Meriden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeeha! Stephen View Post
She's still going strong (despite the "weak" sign) , we cruised her a few days ago.

Looks like you have some BMWs in that crowd. Bring them back for the 46th South Central BMW Club Reunion. I bet there is a ride planed for the Piano Bridge. (Word has it that there is a ride that includes the Willow Springs Bridge and no bridge at all! )
m

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:01 PM   #49
Yeeha! Stephen

We have some guys in our club (BMWDFW) that will be there. I have a schedule conflict and will be in Ark that weekend.

MotoGP - Soap Opera for Men

"Why eat a burger when you can have pie?"
Ms Vicki 2002 @ Lost Maples Cafe, Utopia Tx
Yeeha! Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote