• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Metzler NEXT tire...

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Having always run the Tourance on my R1150GS series bikes, I decided to go a little more street/traction this time. So far I'm pleased with the sticky part of these and the mileage wear (now at 4K).

I've not yet run them in any significant rain, and I've already figured out it's a weird (not so pleasant) ride over tire snakes.....

Anybody have opinions on the NEXT tire so far?

Those look like a nice choice for where I ride but not available in the OEM sizes. :doh:

Scott and I put them on our bikes the same day. Mine is a 1200GSA. He typically gets 20% more life out of a tire so we'll get a nice direct comparison this time. We both did about 4k, loaded down and in the mountains. So not all straight lines. They felt good in the corners, but loaded down I didn't get that close to the edges. Like a 3/8" chicken strip.

I'm basically happy. Actually almost wish I'd wore them out more so I can go back to a more offroad, but I didn't want to waste a good offroad tire riding to Montana. Hopefully I'll wear them out before Roll The Bones.

By a large margin, I prefered the Michelin Anakee tires for my ADV bikes. On the VStrom is was like riding a super motard. I had no hesitation riding quickly in the rain. I have heard that it was tough to fnd the Anakees each time they updated the model. I ran OEM Bridgestone "deathwings" for two iterations on the VStrom and never found them to be a grim as many postings have cited, but that is because I believe that almost any modern tire is superior to what I rode on in the early 80's. The Anakees were like have sportbike tires on a dirt bike, I was taking advantage of what an urban jungle has to offer, and felt confident to maintain my speed when the asphalt changed to unimproved roads. I did not feel as confident trying to blaze my own trail on a such a high perch and not having a more aggressive thread block, but they were great for everythign leading up to that point.

http://motorcycle.michelinman.com/tires/michelin-anakee-iii

I've gone through two sets of Anakee 3s and probably won't use them again. I loved the Anakee 2 though. The 3 worked fine, but didn't grip like the 2 on the street or in the dirt. And not as good on the pavement at the Next has been. However, that is my impression on my bike. Almost as fun as an oil thread. :rofl:

I'm headed towards TKC-70 when these Nexts wear out.

I've liked my Tourances so far, better than Anakee 2 or 3s. Largely because they seem to have more bite in the dirt than the Anakees. Also, excellent grip on all sorts of pavement. I'll be paying attention to this post to see how the Nexts compare.

I have Michelin Commanders as I dont seem to be spending time out in the great barrens located out and about from the middle of civilization! They work great through the yard!

Back