• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

South East TX TARA DS Ride, Saturday March 18 (2017)

Reviving an old thread. I haven't been on the boards for a while, but am picking up a new dual sport bike this weekend…. Does anyone still host group rides like this one from last spring around NW Houston?

I do. I have 3 main routes that I run, one of which isn't technically passable due to Stubblefield bridge being out. Keep an eye on the upcoming rides in the dual sport section.

I've had bikes big and small on my rides. I would say a good bit of it depends on rider skill and to a lesser extent tires. The route I ran last Sunday, that runs from New Waverly to Groveton, is probably the hardest for big bikes. When wet there's a lot of mud, like we had last Sunday, and when dry there's a good bit of sand. The other routes are more big bike friendly.

The Fayetteville route I'll likely run next is very big bike friendly. The only hard part is a creek crossing with a gravel bed. Last time I was there, post Harvey, the gravel had gotten kind of loose. It had been hard packed before Harvey. Time will likely pack it down again.

I'd certainly be happy to have you along!

Last edited:
East of I-45, tires make a big difference on the big bikes. At a minimum, I would run a more aggressive tread DS tire, like a Heidenau K60 or something similar. The more street biased tires will do very poorly in the sand or the occasional road with fresh gravel.

East of I-45, tires make a big difference on the big bikes. At a minimum, I would run a more aggressive tread DS tire, like a Heidenau K60 or something similar. The more street biased tires will do very poorly in the sand or the occasional road with fresh gravel.

thanks Scott…. my bike comes with Continental TKC 80s off the showroom floor. I have no experience with these tires…. thoughts?

The TKC 80s are my preferred tire on my 1200 GS, especially in sand. The rears don't last real long, but they perform well while they last. I have a set on my GS right now.

thank you! Looking forward to it.

127fbd92d10e8f51f74f845a4dc20988.jpg

Fayetteville ride about a week ago and the creek bottom was passable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newbie here, any thoughts on a ride?

Hi DinHouston, What kind of ride are you looking for? I have a few dual sport routes if you would like to meet up? I live on the north west side of Houston in Cypress and like to start my rides at Bucee's in Waller TX.
Currently I'm at work (offshore) and will be home around Febuary 7 and can ride anytime after that just let me know if your interested.

Sounds good; I am on the other end in Clear Lake, but it’s only an hr or so to Waller w/o traffic. I’d be interested in a dual sport ride, but haven’t been offroad since I was a kid.

Sounds good; I am on the other end in Clear Lake, but it’s only an hr or so to Waller w/o traffic. I’d be interested in a dual sport ride, but haven’t been offroad since I was a kid.

I am switching out my stock Metzlers on the Tiger for some TKC70's in before April (already have them in the garage). Hoping to also get back to a little off-road riding. If jdsmetx has a easier-ish DS ride to break them in, I'd be game & we could ride up fro the SE side. Just let me know.

Hi all, if there is enough interest we could plan a ride this Saturday Feb 16. I have a route that many others have used and is fun. Its a about 160 miles with one good water crossing and a good eating place about halfway. Big bike friendly plus gas along the way. 60% dirt roads nothing real challenging
Picture and gpx file below. I use Garmin Montana

Let me know if your interested. We can meet at Bucee's in Waller TX around 8am, kickstands up at 9am and be done around 3pm....ish!

GPX viewer

Attachments

• Fayetteville DS Loop v3.2.gpx
    103.7 KB · Views: 313
I would be interested if you plan on this ride.

jdsmetx you may want to start a new thread in the rides section.

I will do this ride as well. I have done all these roads, and they are a good mix to

here is a link to the new thread

here is a link to the new thread

Different date than title of this thread. So is there still a March 18 ride planned?

I edited the title of this thread to add 2017 to it so folks would realize it was an old thread.

Back