TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking > Photography > Equipment

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 03-19-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
dukey33

Smartphone camera augmentation

Maybe there are folks that have some first-hand experience here:

I'm usually a P&S camera guy but have found the smartphone handy since it is more often with me. One of the biggest drawbacks I encounter with smartphone-only trips is the lack of zoom capability. The digital zoom is what it is, but I see there are gadgets that can be attached over the phone camera lens to provide some telephoto capability.

For kicks, I took my 10x monocular and held it up against my phone. I could get a workable image with significant vignetting but I did notice the image enlargement was no greater than what I was seeing with my unaided vision. IOW, the 10x essentially restored the image size to full (to my perception at least).

Between what I noticed with 10x, and the mixed reviews of most of these zoom attachments, I don't see much if any reason to spend any money or time on these things. I'll just stick to the Canon P&S for my imaging needs.

Anyone have good experience with smartphone zoom attachments they would care to share?

thanks.
dukey33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:14 AM   #2
tricepilot

Re: Smartphone camera augmentation

Looking forward to the responses here.

To be honest, when I read the thread title I immediately thought this was going to be about the DJI Osmo Mobile 2 and similar gimbals for smartphone video.

The video that makes heads explode:

Old 03-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #3
Meriden

Took this shot of a Williamson Sapsucker with an older cell phone through a
Swarovski spotting scope. The full size version is as crisp as anything I have taken with the D5100. Can't say that all of the lens attachments will work as well, but the technology is there.
Attached Thumbnails
20160609_105505.jpg  

Y'all go ahead. I'll catch up to you at the crash site.
Avatar: Jawbone Canyon Store by Rman
Meriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 07:21 AM   #4
achesley

My biggest problem is needing a camera that is a one handed operation as I do about 60% of my photos off a moving bike and , another 20% in a car while driving. Yes, it's a point and shoot operation and you need to keep the camera in a mode to get instant shots and I do use RAW only with my G16.
But when I do stop to take some shots, I do want a view finder for those bright sunshiney days where non of my camera let me see the screen very good to compose a shot.
So my cell phone useage in taking pic is probably near 1% of the pics I've taken in the last 5 yrs. And really don't see it improving. Sad is the XS50 and T3i Canons get just a little over the cell phone useage. Unless it's a planned affair for a picture shoot ( weddings, parades, activities ) instead of spur of the moment.