• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Got a new ride! A DRZ440w

Jammin

Reaction score
First Name
Jay
I got a new ride! She's a 2003 Suzuki DRZ400. I was looking far and wide for my next ride after leaving sanDRina, my DR650 back in India and figured a smaller bike would be more fun but it had to have enough power and this particular bike has a big bore kit on it, so it's a 434 cc engine and comes with a wide ratio transmission, making it more useful than stock as a dual sport bike. That Lynx fairing looks so rally that I feel like I should enter the Dakar now! Time to explore the Texas Hill Country ;)

i-p4LPH66-XL.jpg

i-KqtMh9B-XL.jpg

i-rsrKw9X-XL.jpg

i-HJFkdV2-XL.jpg

Some of you might recognize the bike as Rich's old bike. It was sitting for 2 years with the previous owner and I've spent the past few weeks rebuilding the carb that had hardened o-rings and gunk in every crevice. Feels so satisfying to put it all back together and have her running smooth now.

Here's a little video from the first fire up after the rebuild. Sounds glorious!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7hB6EpncHo"]DRZ400 First Fire Up After Carb Rebuild - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Hello,
I just got my DR-Z440W back from Erik Marquez. He built Rich’s. I read Rich’s write up on it and it inspired me to have the same done to my bike. Hope to see you at one of the rides and compare notes. Enjoy.

Congratulations, wish I could have afforded that one when I was shopping, I'm jealous of that fairing.

Sweet. I look forward to the ride reports ;-)

Hi Jay, I thought that would be a good bike for type of riding you've been doing. Even though I have been riding my XR650R more, I can't let go of my DRZ.
That bike has a lot of TWT history. Trailboss bought it from a guy in Ft. Worth unseen. I drove up and picked it up and brought it Austin for him. I helped Rich pull the motor and take it to Erik Marquez. Erik installed the big bore kit and wide ratio transmission kit, then Rich and I reinstalled the motor in the bike. That bike has done a few great trips into Mexico, one down to to Xilitla/Japan area. It still has many great trips to go. I sure am glad to see the bike found a good home.
JT

Congrats, Jammin! Look forward to seeing you and the new ride on some trails soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congratulations on the new ride.

Sweet ride.....still hard to beat those DRZ's even after 18 years !!

Are you in the market for a DB buster ? Ha...

Nice to see you back on a singletrack Jay.....now dont go be getting any kinda lengthy excursion ideas now

Congrats. Glad to see Rich's old bike back on the road. Now come and ride with us.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk

Hello,
I just got my DR-Z440W back from Erik Marquez. He built Rich’s. I read Rich’s write up on it and it inspired me to have the same done to my bike. Hope to see you at one of the rides and compare notes. Enjoy.
Ah, excellent. Yes, would be great to compare and see how they ride.

Congratulations, wish I could have afforded that one when I was shopping, I'm jealous of that fairing.
It is a cool looking fairing :trust:

Sweet. I look forward to the ride reports ;-)
Coming right up!

Hi Jay, I thought that would be a good bike for type of riding you've been doing. Even though I have been riding my XR650R more, I can't let go of my DRZ.
That bike has a lot of TWT history. Trailboss bought it from a guy in Ft. Worth unseen. I drove up and picked it up and brought it Austin for him. I helped Rich pull the motor and take it to Erik Marquez. Erik installed the big bore kit and wide ratio transmission kit, then Rich and I reinstalled the motor in the bike. That bike has done a few great trips into Mexico, one down to to Xilitla/Japan area. It still has many great trips to go. I sure am glad to see the bike found a good home.
JT
Happy to keep this bike going in the TWT family :rider:
Thanks to Rich, yourself and anyone else that had a hand in getting this bike to where it is today. Feels awesome as a lightweight adventure bike. Need to take her on some trails now...

Sweet ride.....still hard to beat those DRZ's even after 18 years !!

Are you in the market for a DB buster ? Ha...

Nice to see you back on a singletrack Jay.....now dont go be getting any kinda lengthy excursion ideas now
What's a DB Buster? I'm in the market for an engine case guard (right side).

Don't worry, I'm grounded here in Austin for the next few years :mrgreen: Next big mission is to get the missus on her own dirt bike and take her off road...

Congrats. Glad to see Rich's old bike back on the road. Now come and ride with us.
When's the next ride?

Who wants to show me the trails around Austin?

03 had the lightning bolt on oem tank and shrouds hint hint :trust: Congrats on the bike !

DRZ has been on my list of bikes I'd love to have in my garage for a long time. A girl I used to date had one and at that time I also had a DR350SE and was blown away at how much lighter it felt in comparison and the engine was a dream.

Back