• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Insurance for bike thefts

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
"It's Georgia, guy I knew had 2 bikes and trailer taken from the 1982 Stone Mountain Nat. enduro. 100's of bikes sitting out all night, recent thread about insurance said bikes stolen at a race event are not covered because it's too easy."

Found this on KTMTALK, I've always wondered about the race sites as all the bikes are just sitting there all weekend.

Anyone heard of this? What about leaving your key in bike/car, do they still cover?

"It's Georgia, guy I knew had 2 bikes and trailer taken from the 1982 Stone Mountain Nat. enduro. 100's of bikes sitting out all night, recent thread about insurance said bikes stolen at a race event are not covered because it's too easy."

Found this on KTMTALK, I've always wondered about the race sites as all the bikes are just sitting there all weekend.

Anyone heard of this? What about leaving your key in bike/car, do they still cover?

Depends on your insurer, check your policy. I found out last year that my Geico policy has an exclusion for racing and race tracks. Here is the wording for theft loss, same exact wording for liability coverage also.

8. Loss sustained while your owned motorcycle or while a non-owned motorcycle is used in, or in preparation or practice for:

a. Any hill climbing exhibition;
b. Any racing, speed contest, or stunting activity of any nature;
c. Use in any competitive riding or use on a race track or race course unless participating in a motorcycle safety course meeting the standards established by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

_

Depends on your insurer, check your policy. I found out last year that my Geico policy has an exclusion for racing and race tracks. Here is the wording for theft loss, same exact wording for liability coverage also.

8. Loss sustained while your owned motorcycle or while a non-owned motorcycle is used in, or in preparation or practice for:

a. Any hill climbing exhibition;
b. Any racing, speed contest, or stunting activity of any nature;
c. Use in any competitive riding or use on a race track or race course unless participating in a motorcycle safety course meeting the standards established by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

_

Interesting. I'll have to read the fine print on my policy.

Interesting. I'll have to read the fine print on my policy.

Always the smart thing to do. Most people don't and get surprised when filing a accident or loss claim.

I also read my Mexican m/c policy last year and found that I have no coverage if driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs and it is deemed a cause factor. I'm sure any loss or accident could be at least partially blamed on DUI.
Also upon renewal this year it now has a theft exclusion for public places. This exclusion does not apply to cars or trucks, only m/c, atv and utv's.

_

"Also upon renewal this year it now has a theft exclusion for public places. This exclusion does not apply to cars or trucks, only m/c, atv and utv's."

As in traveling on your bike and it gets lifted from a motel parking lot??

I have a backup insurance plan in case my bike gets stolen. Most people don't want to start over after farkling their bike to their liking, so I got this tracker. I put it on my bike and if it gets stolen, I can show the cops where it is so I can get it back and maybe arrest the perp. Who knows, it may uncover a bike theft ring.

Attachments

• 5F14EC1D-14A2-48E3-A2C8-68B8BA932FB2.jpeg
    5F14EC1D-14A2-48E3-A2C8-68B8BA932FB2.jpeg
    34.5 KB · Views: 124
"Also upon renewal this year it now has a theft exclusion for public places. This exclusion does not apply to cars or trucks, only m/c, atv and utv's."

As in traveling on your bike and it gets lifted from a motel parking lot??

No. Hotel/motel is considered private as well as almost any other off street parking and any private residence. But park on the street, public parking area or get bike jacked while stopped at a light then you're SOL. If my bike gets stolen while I'm inside Oxxo I'll be walking to the nearest private parking to report it. Lol

_

Check the health policy, too, even if it is employer provided. Many healthcare policies have listed activities that are excluded. Generally it is stuff like scuba diving, base jumping and rock climbing, but some include injuries sustained while motor racing.

One of the reasons I quit racing this year, makes me nervous.

I have always wondered about that clause. I just keep mine for travel, fire at the house or theft from my garage or my truck in transit. Also, damage in transit. Afraid my home owners or auto won't cover jack if it has wheels and title. I'm not worried at most enduro sites as some are off the beaten path, but do tend to run a chain around the bikes if left out overnight. In a hotel I chain them to the bed and together with a good chain and disk type lock. You just aren't rolling them off without noise and work. Stealing the whole truck is likely a better option. I have stayed at a hotel for races before. It would be hard to prove I was in "preparation" for a race. If I staying a hotel I like to parK next to a truck that has nicer bikes than mine... :-) Maybe I should get a torn seat to put on for transport and storage and some graphics that make the bike like a dirty ***. :giveup:

I get the no liability if your involved in a race. Also, if you have AMA membership they used to offer a insurance to use if your injured for a fee. I also have aflac that has no policy against motorsports. They just pay you a standard amount. I have accident and hospitalization with a ICU rider that pays more if I'm in ICU. They cut me a 4500 check when I was in the hospital for 3 weeks (non-MC related). Covered my out of pocket for everything the major medical didn't cover.

Someone mentioned earlier about leaving a key in a bike or vehicle. I’ve heard that insurers call that “owner assisted theft“ and would not be covered.

I have a backup insurance plan in case my bike gets stolen. Most people don't want to start over after farkling their bike to their liking, so I got this tracker. I put it on my bike and if it gets stolen, I can show the cops where it is so I can get it back and maybe arrest the perp. Who knows, it may uncover a bike theft ring.

How much and where did you get it?

How much and where did you get it?

79.99 on Amazon. Optimus gps tracker. Came with a waterproof case with two powerful magnets on it. The tracking service is $19.95 a month and no contract, so if you're not using it for a while, you can stop service. I put it in my truck when I first got it just to play with it. It showed every where I went and my track.

Could you just subscribe once your vehicle was taken?

Could you just subscribe once your vehicle was taken?

I’m not sure. I'm guessing no, but who knows. You could do a month on and month off or just when you're going on a trip. I'm doing every month right now because I'm riding my bike more often and parking at grocery stores, etc. When my bike was apart for several months, I had the subscription suspended. It can be used for different things like on a trailer, car, etc. I put it on my truck going to Specs to get wine for a dinner party just to see what it would do. Showed me parked at Specs.

Attachments

• CF6A1CC6-4B2F-4EA2-A6AD-8CBB0821F0AC.jpg
    CF6A1CC6-4B2F-4EA2-A6AD-8CBB0821F0AC.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 112
"Jeff Vincent Our bikes were stolen from the Fairfield Inns & Suites on South MacArthur in Alexandria. 2017 KTM 300 XC-W and 2015 KTM 200 XC-W. Stolen around 3:30 am on March 11, 2018. Reported to Alexandria PD."

This is one of my riding partners, in Louisiana for the enduro, this was last night. He had then chained in and backed up against a fence. Tough deal.

"Jeff Vincent Our bikes were stolen from the Fairfield Inns & Suites on South MacArthur in Alexandria. 2017 KTM 300 XC-W and 2015 KTM 200 XC-W. Stolen around 3:30 am on March 11, 2018. Reported to Alexandria PD."

This is one of my riding partners, in Louisiana for the enduro, this was last night. He had then chained in and backed up against a fence. Tough deal.

I hate to ask ..... did they have motorcycle insurance policy that covers theft?

Yep, one of the reasons I will only stay in cheaper old style motels with doors open to the parking lot, my bike comes in the room with me you just dont seem to be able to secure a dirt bike in a truck secure enough

I dont worry about traveling on the ST1100 its kind of like a minivan invisible to bike thieves

the ZRX gets a disc lock and chain in front of the lobby if traveling on the road

Last edited:
Back