• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

shaving the seat

Anyone know of places that supply various types of foam in DFW area?
Anyone else want to modify their seat? We could do a group modify thang. :trust:

If I had been following this thread I would have been right there with you. I need to redo my WR450 seat somehow.

I know someone who could do it for you.:trust:
We could have another Seat Sacrifice Gathering.

DSC02144.jpg

I know someone who could do it for you.:trust:

What I am looking to try Bill is cut down the seat and add a Airhawk. I need some seat time with the Airhawk first before I cut the seat I guess to see if this works. I saw one guy who used an Airhawk on the DS ride in AR. I have used the Airhawk on my vintage bikes and it works well, the skinny seat, I don't know but I need something better for day long seat time.

I bought a used seat for this and will still have my stock seat if needed for use in enduro races if the situation comes up or ride my KX.

What I am looking to try Bill is cut down the seat and add a Airhawk. I need some seat time with the Airhawk first before I cut the seat I guess to see if this works. I saw one guy who used an Airhawk on the DS ride in AR. I have used the Airhawk on my vintage bikes and it works well, the skinny seat, I don't know but I need something better for day long seat time.

I bought a used seat for this and will still have my stock seat if needed for use in enduro races if the situation comes up or ride my KX.

Hmmm... so you want to add an Airhawk under the seat cover? That would be ambitious to say the least.;-)

We could always take a look at it, but I don't want to promise anything.

Hmmm... so you want to add an Airhawk under the seat cover? That would be ambitious to say the least.;-)

It might be more realistic to add a gel pad. An AirHawk might be too big unless using the small square cushion. Regardless, the Airhawks are inflatable. What happens if the air slowly leaks out? Also, it would be a real big bear (if not impossible) to cover it.

Tale of Two Seats. The Barney Bike story.

<tangent>Someone asked yesterday where the name "Barney Bike" came from for purple bikes. Story below excerpted from post (linked above) on shaving/modifying the seat.

"Long, long ago in the Land of Metric Bikes, the Master of Suzuki woke up with a headache and swollen eyes. All he could see was a world blanketed in a purple haze. In a panic, thinking this visual condition was an affliction from the movie he watched the night before, and afraid that Oprah Winfrey and Whoopie Goldberg were lurking under his bed, he instructed his best student to visit the Music Master and ask for advice.

The Best Student, also an unemployed motorcycle mechanic, returned hours later with Divine Instructions from the Music Master: Master Suzuki must build a bike -tall in stature, quick muscled, with 'legs' that bounce, and a beak that struts forward like a white great heron. But this bike must be in homage to the Great Guitarist Jimi Hendrix and reflect his greatest creation: Purple Haze.

Therefore, to redeem all the sins of Master Suzuki and be cured of the purple haze that colored his world, the bike must be purple and white. Master Suzuki told his Best Student: "Make it so, Number One."

Thus, the Purple DR350 was born. And upon seeing his creation roll down the trail from his dojo, over the sacred rocks and in between the largest and smallest pine trees, Master Suzuki's world began to blossom into a variety of colors while the purple haze retreated.

Meanwhile, back in Monkey Boy Nation, the masses of monkeys affixed to Saturday morning cartoons soon called the sacred bike "Barney Bike". Because only a purple anthropomorphic caricature of a once mighty Tyrannosaurus rex, a creature named 'Barney', could transfix millions of school children and adults alike with the soma of Political Correctness*.

Thus, this is the story of how the sacred Purple Haze Motorcycle of Japan became a comical two-wheeler in Monkey Land.

So, on with how to change the Barney seat to a Bumblebee seat........."

</tangent>

No sir, cut away some of the foam, recover and put the Airhawk on top, cut some foam away to reduce the impact on height by adding the Airhawk.

and gel might be a solution except I have never used gel and don't know how that would work for me although it works for many but I happen to have an Airhawk to try.

If this doesn't work than I can try adding back a different foam and/or gel. No experience adding back foam and whether it would stay glued in place. Maybe there are pants with gel inserts I can use in conjunction.

Ahhh, well we probably make that happen much, much easier. But you would probably still need a new seat cover because the stockers aren't very compliant to foam shape changes.

Back to modifying the seat again..........
After my first ride back in the saddle after 6 months, the 2-plus hour ride was all the sacrum could bear. In 5 weeks I'll be riding the OR back country for 10 days. I need to do something with the seat for the broken butt.

Thoughts are:
1. Remove the steep shelf edge that I left on when I shaved the seat down. An easy quick modification.
2. Possibly shave off another 1/2" (depth) and add a layer of some kind of more cushy foam.
3. Extend the width of the back half to back 2/3rds of the seat for added support. The nose will remain narrow so I can scoot forward and put a foot down on the ground when stopping.

Anyone had any experience with medical foam and sources?

My thoughts would be....

One, I'd shave the rest of the tail of the seat as flat or nearly as flat as the rest of it. Then buy one of those things that Rich has on his WR that holds the two liter bottles and makes the seat about as wide as a sofa in the rear. Something called comfy-bum, sweet cheeks, happy tails, or something like that. Ed knows what it is called I think.

Be wary of foam that is more "cushy" than normal. There is a fine line between enough cushion to be comfy, and too much which will cause to you sink in and get a bad case of butt burn going on. Just try to remember one thing though. If you have been off the bike for 6 weeks, a two hour ride is a LONG ride. I was off my Strom for quite some time and when I got back on it, a ride down to Glen Rose was killing me because I had lost my motorbiking muscles in my rump. It happens.... And the only way to cure it for sure is to get back out there and get used to it again.;-)

One, I'd shave the rest of the tail of the seat as flat or nearly as flat as the rest of it. Then buy one of those things that Rich has on his WR that holds the two liter bottles and makes the seat about as wide as a sofa in the rear. Something called comfy-bum, sweet cheeks, happy tails, or something like that.
Sweet cheeks. The normal ones that everyone use are, I think, too big for me (aka too wide and long). I suspect it would have issues with my sidebags (won't know until they are mounted) and might interfere with me sliding back and forward on the seat.

It just occurred to me: perhaps I can make a pair that will be more specific to my seat and bike. I examined Ed's Sweet Cheeks; I could make that at less than half the cost they charge. Why not make a pair for my own seat and better suited to my specs? The bottles would be smaller, but that's okay, right?

Time to pull out the old sewing machine......... :trust:

Exactly! Maybe some little 20oz bottles would work for you. If not maybe some 1 liter bottles.

Back