• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Pics of my Maxi Scooters

I've got to put in my two cents worth. I'm spending most of the years on the 110 mile Long Island called Eleuthera in the Bahamas. My Suzuki 650 Burgman was the perfect choice for a fantastic ride here. I like this bike so much, even though I have a 650 VStrom in Texas which I will sell later this year, I bought a site unseen 650 Burgman that's waiting for me in Atlanta, GA. And Dody, (Ghost 1964) you were right. My man card suffers none when I ride my scooter.
I hope to see you guys later this year. Enjoy yourselves. Hardy

Funny you should post up! I was just wondering this morning if you were ever gonna get tired of paradise and come home for a visit :-P

I had ridden with my mom and dad both having bikes growing up. Dirt bikes and odd 3 or 4 wheeler. When I turned 15 I rode my mother's old Yamaha Chappy to school and work for just a bit.

Yamaha-LB80IIAD-Left-Side.jpg?zoom=1.jpg

The shortly wanted more. So I worked out a deal and bought a Honda Elite 150 delux. With my 50cc restriction I just took the 150 badges off it. Rode it until it was stolen then ended up with 80 Firebird. The 150 had the Kenwood radio on it with remote for the thumb and power antenna. Really fun ride.

scooter004.jpg

I later started riding dirt again and then bought another street bike. Lots of fun on the scooters. I had friends with 150s, 80s, and 250s. We rode around together a lot. My 150 saw all kinds of back roads into most of the areas surrounding the Mid-Cities.

Last edited:
Quick story:
Right about the time that my son injured his shoulder from playing Lacrosse for UT, I took him to go watch the MOTOGP to lift his spirits up a bit.
20160409_140618-1024x768.jpg

Since He was still relatively fresh and tender from his shoulder operation, we went on the Burgman due to the high comfort factor for passengers. Big, plush, gigantic seat, automatic trans, smooth acceleration, easy to get on, easy to get off the scooter, etc...
SO, after the Saturday race, he stuck around the grounds waiting for

20160409_142150.jpg

the COTA track to reopen up
for all non-racer riders to get on the track...
image.jpg

...and ....you bet... I joined in on the fun :clap:

...cockpit shot using my phone in holder didn't come out all that great...
image.jpg

...BUT, around lap #2, My son texted me this ...

image.jpg

:lol2:To this day, that son of mine will NOT cut me any slack.:lol2:

Last edited:
LOL Dao, that's awesome. The 650 really is the best ride out there....IMO. :)

My scooter on a trip in Texas.

Attachments

• IMG_0607 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_0607 - Copy.JPG
    161.1 KB · Views: 306
B400s are pretty awesome, however, like Dao, I'm not fond of the clutch/transmission judder....I'll have to try one of those HiT clutches.

Attachments

• DSC00243.jpg
    DSC00243.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC00750.jpg
    DSC00750.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 298
  • DSC00475.jpg
    DSC00475.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC00811.jpg
    DSC00811.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 294
Last edited:
Thank you! They're actually photos from several day runs here in NorCal.

Thank you! They're actually photos from several day runs here in NorCal.

I used to travel out there very often. Been many years since my last foray into California. It looks like you have some great places to ride. When I was there last, it was all about work and I didn't have a bike there so I didn't get much chance to explore.

Yes, we're pretty blessed here with some great areas for riding. I'll miss it when we leave.

The Givi setup is pretty awesome. That makes that scooter a functional touring machine.
You make it look fun.
Thanks for the good pics.

I have the Givi trunk and saddlebags on mine and it works well and looks like correct on the bike. Funny how it is, with as much storage as the Burgman has, it is handy to have more. I use the trunk more than the under seat storage or the saddlebags but I wouldn't want to give any of them up.

...like Dao, I'm not fond of the clutch/transmission judder....I'll have to try one of those HiT clutches.

Yea that HIT clutch is the ticket! :chug:
comes w/ a kazillion different springs...imma lazybum, left it stock
HIT1.jpg

it's now 4 yrs, so far, not a single judder.
HIT3_sml.jpg

up to two scootin critters now ~!
20180628_122356.jpg

I take them w/ me on quickie runs to Lowe's hardware...one of a very few handfull of retail stores that allows pets inside
20180308_154044.jpg

Last edited:
I managed to go home for the holiday and took the scooter. Instead of the quick way back, I wandered around through NW Arkansas.

Attachments

• IMG_0695.jpg
    IMG_0695.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0698.jpg
    IMG_0698.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 296
What size top box do you have .?

I don't know if this was directed at me, but ....
this eggshape one's a Givi "MAXIA" E-55, a 55L case that doesn't come across as being able to hold 55L of stuff.
20151026-183158-resized-Copy.jpg

This one's a Givi "Trekker outback" top case , a 58L alum box that feels like I can shove 70L of stuff in there easily.
20151222-114422-1.jpg

What size top box do you have .?
If you were asking me, mine is a 56 or 57 liter Givi Monokey box. It is equipped with the rack on top too which is handy to strap a jacket or something light on top for even quicker access. The Givi set up is well made and looks right on the bike. With the panniers and under seat storage, it is like having a station wagon almost. I miss it for grocery shopping trips. My Burgman is at home in Illinois while I am riding my Trophy here in Texas.

Hey Dao!
I came to TWT to ask you if you've had any vibration/jitters with your Burg. I picked up a 200cc a few months back and I'm not sure how normal it is, seems a lot of people online complaining about it. It's not terrible, but not nearly as smooth as other scoots I've had in the past. Like the panniers on the 650! Need to look into some for mine

Hey Dao!
I came to TWT to ask you if you've had any vibration/jitters with your Burg. I picked up a 200cc a few months back and I'm not sure how normal it is, seems a lot of people online complaining about it. It's not terrible, but not nearly as smooth as other scoots I've had in the past. Like the panniers on the 650! Need to look into some for mine

Hi Patrick:
Good to hear from you.... and
yea, i get a nasty vibration on my 400....seeems like every 5k-7k miles, it surfaces up...and when it does, the vibration's very annoying, very pronounced, localized around a particular zone, and then as the speed increase or decrease , the vibration goes away.

my vibration is from black dust build-up around the variator rollers, making one or two rollers jammed in one position instead of ramping outwards, so this is what causes my vibration.

The variator is the front drive plates for the cvt belt....looks something like this:

Performance-racing-variator-set-with-14-gram-roller-sets-for-Scooter-GY6-125-GY6-150.jpg_640x640.jpg

Once i blow out all that black dust buildup, my vibration disappears.
I think the black dust is from the cvt belt wear.

Hi Patrick:
Good to hear from you.... and
yea, i get a nasty vibration on my 400....seeems like every 5k-7k miles, it surfaces up...and when it does, the vibration's very annoying, very pronounced, localized around a particular zone, and then as the speed increase or decrease , the vibration goes away.

my vibration is from black dust build-up around the variator rollers, making one or two rollers jammed in one position instead of ramping outwards, so this is what causes my vibration.

The variator is the front drive plates for the cvt belt....looks something like this:

Once i blow out all that black dust buildup, my vibration disappears.
I think the black dust is from the cvt belt wear.
Good to know. Is it hard to get in there? I haven't messed with anything outside of basic maintenance on this this machine. Mine starts vibrating as I start to accelerate after coming to a near stop. Very annoying and very, very pronounced. I'll look into cleaning mine out. If that doesn't work, I may pick your brain about the HIT clutch install.

Just looked into some aftermarket variators and hot dang, can't believe how expensive they are. And now that I've totally hijacked your thread, is that your son's KTM six days I see running around campus sometimes?

patrick,

as you may already konw, the area to blow all the dust out of is sandwiched inbetween the side case and the back side of the variator.
so it's hidden from view and not easily accessible. But I figured out how to do this w/o taking stuff off.
so here's what i did after I remove that giant, outer plastic side cover...

connect
Air Blow Gun w/ extension
to compressor:
Click here : $6 at harborfreight

Bend the extension in a "J" shape. then hook that tip behind the variator to blow out all the dust from the back side of the variator w/o having to remove the variator, belt, rollers, etc... rotate variator 90 deg, and repeat until no more dust.
PS, wear a bandana over your nose & mouth & goggles over eyes.

this should remove about 85% dust build up.

to get to 95%, drive around the 'hood fast just enough to fling the variator rollers up/down the ramp and then repeat blow out proecedure.
the last 5% can't be cleaned out unless you do a full disassembly.

And I agree, if you go to all the trouble to do a full disassembly, put new rollers in there.
I will say this though, the aftermarket rollers that's of the "WEDGE" shape kind from Dr Pulley, those seem to need dust blowing servicing much sooner than the circular shaped rollers.

Nice, thanks for the advice! I'll get on it when I get back to Texas and let you know how it worked! I'm going to slap some new tires on there and we should go for a scoot sometime!

Back