• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How Wide are You?

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
Well, not you, exactly. Your bike.

A couple of years ago, I built a gate into my back yard. Working to some cemented pole restriction, I made the gate 44" wide, which was fine for my old VStrom with soft bags. When I bought the new Wee with OEM panniers, it turned out to be 44.3" wide. I had to "enlarge" the gate with a skill saw. I can now squeeze through with about an inch to spare on each side if I'm perfectly lined up.

Which brings me to this. I'm going to be setting poles for a new gate in a house I'm currently renting to my kids, and I want to allow for the largest bike I'll likely ever own or host. Think BMW GSs of any size, possibly other Beemers, maybe a Connie or FJR in my future. Who knows?

Would some of you be kind enough to check your bikes (with bags or panniers in place) at their widest point. I'd rather not get any ugly surprises. I'd also be curious to know if this is VStrom-standard, or if mine is a fatty who needs to be put on a diet. :-P Thanks in advance.

Make it as wide as a cam am or ural in case you ever go that route. This is an interesting question. I’ll be stalking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

he beat me to it!
make it wide enough for a gold wing trike!

Wow, for a V-Twin the Wee is FAT! Just measured my FJR and looks like 37-38" across the panniers so I'd be good with your gate. Hard to measure by yourself as the bags have a slight bulge on them but there isn't enough error that it wouldn't fit your current gate.

KTM 1290 SA is a whopping 43"

'15 FJR is about 39" wide. Hard to get an exact measurement without another set of hands at the moment. I got the same similar ballpark figure at the bags and mirrors.

I might be doing the same thing with a new house we're looking at and will just make it 5' wide.

Wow, for a V-Twin the Wee is FAT!

I'm told that black makes you look thinner, so I apparently picked the right color. :lol2: And I won't let her wear capri pants.

I'll probably go 54" and just be done with it.

And I can't even drive into my back yard.
Which is probably a good thing (dog feces) but I'll keep your question in mind when looking for a new house, I would have fully overlooked that, so thank you very much for having fat bike problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 36" door I can get my scooters out through, but I don't have touring bikes, but I have a 12 foot door for that.

Fortunately, I have enough room on one side of my house for a double gate wide enough to fit my F150 4x4 through.

Just build a ramp over the fence . My KTM 950 boxes are 2 inches wider than the bars , never was real excited about riding a fat lady .

I hardly ever use the hard bags on the Wee they are ridiculously wide. Take one of em off to go through a normal passage gate. ?

[ame="http://youtu.be/_ccVu992CYE?t=20s"]Steve McQueen Motorcycle Jump in The Great Escape - YouTube[/ame]

Widest part of my 09 GSA are the bars. 42 inches. Panniers are a hair narrower.

I'm riding the fat two legged girl from the family 42.2" (Fat bag guards) :)

GSW adventure with the factory bags is at 42". The gate on my new fence is 48"!

wide enough to drive a 1 ton dually thru..........:trust:

In point of fact, pretty much anything is wide enough to drive a 1 ton dually through. Depends on what the fence condition needs to be after you drive through. :-P

Back