• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Where am I? (Can you place this picture...?)

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
After looking at all the fun "Gas Station" pix, I thought of a thread that might be some fun for everyone. We'll call it "Where Am I?" and the process is simple. I'll start by posting a picture of a place in Texas that has my motorcycle in it. Your job is to guess where that picture was taken. First person to post the correct answer then gets to post their place with their bike in it in Texas. Next person to guess correctly then posts their location and so forth. If the thread goes too long in the eyes of the current picture poster, they should give some hints as to the location. Enough to steer us in the right direction, but not enough as to just flat give it away. Also, try not to post some obscure place that has little chance of anyone being able to identify the location. Then again, those could be kind of fun with the right 'hints' along the way. It's NOT a game of Marco-Polo. There has to be a reasonable chance that many of us KNOW that location.

And make the filename something other than the location name! It's too easy to look at the picture properties and guess from that...

This could be a fun way to see some nice stuff in Texas, then find out where it is by collective effort. Maybe some of us will then go visit that place since we might have not known if it's whereabouts. The picture can be a building, place, structure, odd sculpture, interesting sign, just about anything that has some permanence to it!

Only the person who's turn it is can post the "Where Am I" picture. (They control the 'ball') Let's not turn this into everyone posting a picture all at the same time. You'll have to do a bit of reading to see who's in control and if you guess correctly first, then YOU get to post!

Note 1: IF you venture to take a stab at the location, KEEP CHECKING THE THREAD until either you are determined the winner or excluded. Some correct posters have gone up to a week or more without checking back and posting up their picture stalling the fun. Please, if you guess, then keep tabs on the thread and be ready to post where you are as the winner. I'd suggest a few in the 'queue already hosted somewhere so you just need to drop the link and watch.

The new winner will have 24 hours to post up their Where Am I pic from the time control is passed from the current ball holder to the new one. That will give everyone a reasonable amount of time to dig up a pic (hopefully they've got one in the queue). If the new ball holder can't make the 24 hours, post up you don't have a pic and pass it to someone on the CREDITS section. If nobody is in the CREDITS section, open it up to the next post, a friend, a newbie, but let it be clearly known your intent.

Credits:
1. KP

Here's the first picture to start this off. So, where am I?

whereami.jpg

The "One-Minute" Club, ie: those who have solved the "where am I" in one-minute as noted by the time stamp: (as of post #8697)
1. DFW Dano
2. Janet
3. Biker Bob
4. The Bruce
5. M38A1
6. bigjnsa
7. jhansen

Last edited:
Re: Where am I?

Hmmmmmm.......... I am going to like this game. I swear I have seen this dog run house but its location escapes me.... Hmmmmmm............. thinking...

Don't recall being at that exact spot...my guess would be Hill Country just west or southwest of Austin.

Hint: Historic Fort / BBQ

Last edited:

San Marcos dog run house right above the old Aquarena Springs park.

It's Fort Mason. That was Lee's last command before being recalled to DC by Winfield Scott.

Lee was offered command of the US Army, but chose to return to his native State as hostilities were imminent between the States.

It was the Robert E. Lee hint. Lee is one of my favorite engineers. Many of his canal works are still in use today in the St. Louis area. However, he is not one of my favorite generals and I opine to this day that the Lee 'template' is wrong-headed for developing military leaders.

CONGRATULATIONS! Mike In Clear Lake is our winner and now has the honor to post his "Where Am I" shot next.

The reference to Historic Fort was Fort Mason was one of a series of outposts and there's a Coopers BBQ in Mason.

Fort Mason, Mason Texas
Established July 6, 1851 by the U.S. Army as a protection to the frontier. Named in honor of Lieut. George T. Mason, killed in action near Brownsville, April 25, 1846. Albert Sidney Johnston, George H. Thomas, Earl Van Dorn and Robert E. Lee, of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry, were stationed here at intervals from 1856 to 1861. Evacuated by Federal troops, March 29, 1861 and reoccupied after the Civil War until 1869. (1936)

Mike In Clear Lake - you're up next!

... is our winner and now has the honor to post his "Where Am I" shot next.

That's a good way to manage it so we don't have dozens of people posting photos simultaneously and then no one know which photo is being replied to. That'll keep it one at a time and it determines who posts the next photo clue.

Okay, gimme a day. I'll post a shot nearby, and that's the first hint ;-)

I like this. Might even be good for the EOY Pie Run.(Since I forgot what the year in pics was to be since we kill the jail idea.) Have everyone attending the EOY provide a pic so the others can guess at. Must have atleast 3 clues.

What you think?

I like this. Might even be good for the EOY Pie Run.(Since I forgot what the year in pics was to be since we kill the jail idea.) Have everyone attending the EOY provide a pic so the others can guess at. Must have atleast 3 clues.

What you think?

Interesting idea for EOY pie run, but let's start a new thread for that concept, OK?

This is a very cool idea. I ride during the week usually between 9a and 2p. I will have a picture posted no later than 3p on Monday 3/10. You will like the location.

Mike

CONGRATULATIONS! Mike In Clear Lake is our winner and now has the honor to post his "Where Am I" shot next.

The reference to Historic Fort was Fort Mason was one of a series of outposts and there's a Coopers BBQ in Mason.

You sure? I coulda sworn it was Richardson once they rolled up the sidewalks at sunset. :lol2:

You sure? I coulda sworn it was Richardson once they rolled up the sidewalks at sunset. :lol2:

It's not that bad. All you have to do is drive a little west to Addison, and all is alive and well :trust:

Very good idea... awaiting the next location, and hoping it moves around the state some. Sorting through some pics... just in case I make a lucky guess.

Where I am I? Your first hint was already given. I was granted special permission to park the bike in front of this historic site. This is normally not allowed.

CIMG1223.jpg

You can see from the photo below that there's even a place for Harleys, but today I rode my little red bike that I found in the basement of the Alamo.

CIMG1226.jpg

Last edited:
Back