• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howzit! Salutations from the land of The Big 5

Reaction score
Greetings to all TWT

Came upon the TWT forum while looking for bikes on the line. I will be relocating to Dallas early next year and am currently investigating whether to import my South-African 1150 GSA, or simply sell it here and get a new one in the US. Seems more difficult than I thought.

Look forward to rubbing some shoulders with y'all.

Below, photographic evidence of my esteemed Peeg and I, having a little difference of opinion.

PS: For those not afraid to wander among the Big 5, here is our largest bike forum in South-Africa: http://www.wilddog.za.net/

Attachments

• IMG-20130826-WA0000.jpg
    IMG-20130826-WA0000.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 287
Welcome!

We have at least one other South Africaner (sp?) on the forum. (Calling Shovelhead)

Let us know when you arrive in Tejas!

Now I’m going to check out this wild dog forum...

Welcome.

I lived in Amanzimtoti from 68 to 79. Beautiful party of the world.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Unless you are just REALLY attached to your current GS, I would sell it there and get a new one here. If you shop around, you can find really good deals on GSs that are already nicely farkled with relatively low miles.

When will you be arriving?

Welcome to the forum, to the USA and to Texas!
Agree on getting a bike here, plenty good deals, not only on this forum, but in the region.

Welcome!

We have at least one other South Africaner (sp?) on the forum. (Calling Shovelhead)

Let us know when you arrive in Tejas!

Now I’m going to check out this wild dog forum...

There are a few South-Africans (called Saffers) in Texas and the US that I am aware of. So, looking forward to meeting some locals and fellow Saffers when I arrive.

The Wilddog Forum is very similar in format to TWT, although a bit more expanded in some areas. I have made some good friends there, among the bike riding gods.

Welcome.

I lived in Amanzimtoti from 68 to 79. Beautiful party of the world.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I currently stay about 1hr's drive north of Amanzomtoti, in the same province (state) - the province of Kwazulu-Natal. Beautiful place, although Amanzimtoti has gone backward over the years with newer developments elsewhere. What did you do back here, back then copb8?

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Unless you are just REALLY attached to your current GS, I would sell it there and get a new one here. If you shop around, you can find really good deals on GSs that are already nicely farkled with relatively low miles.

When will you be arriving?

That is about the long and short from what I hear - I am attached to this peeg of mine, but it seems the paperwork is simply too much.

Got initial approval for my visa about two weeks ago, just waiting for the paperwork to be processed here in SA, then I will resign and hop on a plane.

Welcome to the forum, to the USA and to Texas!
Agree on getting a bike here, plenty good deals, not only on this forum, but in the region.

Thanks cdc. I worked on US farms from 2002-2004 in Kansas, Texans and South-Dakota. Was a good experience and I met a lot of good people. I loved the place and looking forward to calling it my home once again, although Africa runs very strongly in my veins.

Maybe I get to meet some you in the near future and help you correct your wayward BBQ practices!:deal:

:eat:

Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Will you bring me some Pinotage? :-)

Welcome to the site. Will you bring me some Pinotage? :-)

I see somebody knows something about SA :trust:

I found it difficult to locate SA wines in the US stores and if you do find them they are horrendously expensive. Saw a bottle in Dallas for $48, while the same bottle sells in SA for less than $4. Crazy. A friend of mine in New York has her own restaurant (a fellow South-African) and she told me that the import taxes are a lot higher for SA wines than other countries, due to different trade agreements.

Will see if I can slip in a bottle of pinotage next time as I have in-laws in Austin and Houston.

Last edited:
Or you can order from this website - they deliver to the US. They dont have nearly all the SA wines we have, but I guess it is a start. They also stock SA beers:

https://sabestwine.com/

If you like sweet stuff and see this bottle on a shelf, do yourself a favor and grab it, Amarula IS that good:

Attachments

• 113a209a70e980fa618b3e548486042b--amarula-your-favorite.jpg
    113a209a70e980fa618b3e548486042b--amarula-your-favorite.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 149
I currently stay about 1hr's drive north of Amanzomtoti, in the same province (state) - the province of Kwazulu-Natal. Beautiful place, although Amanzimtoti has gone backward over the years with newer developments elsewhere. What did you do back here, back then copb8?

I'm originally from the states (New Hampshire) but lived there from 9 to 19. Almost 40 years ago Amanzimtoti was an amazing place to grow up but I'm sure a lot has changed now. Living almost anywhere in Natal (the Garden Province) would be beautiful.

I have a friend from South Africa who has brought back some amazing bottles in the past. In Texas, we have Specs, which arguably has the most comprehensive selection, but obviously missing many of the 'best'. I find, even here locally, some of the best wines and beers never make it out of the winery or brewery. SOOOO ... you must travel and sample to know what you are missing. RIDE -> DRINK -> SLEEP repeat! :trust:

Welcome! I was blessed to visit South Africa in 2004. I even got to hunt a bit. A beautiful country with great people. I'd love to go back.

Interesting that the discussion has turned to libations. I visited DRC, then known as Zaire (mid '90's). Enjoyed a wonderful bourgelais wine there. I remember it to this day but have never found it stateside.

PS, I visited wild dog forum and immediately got caught up in someone's story of immigrating to the US. Good stuff.

I'm originally from the states (New Hampshire) but lived there from 9 to 19. Almost 40 years ago Amanzimtoti was an amazing place to grow up but I'm sure a lot has changed now. Living almost anywhere in Natal (the Garden Province) would be beautiful.

Things are starting to pick up again with new developments to the north of Durban - many people now choose to "semi-grate" from Johannesburg's crazy city life (Gauteng province) to Durban's relaxed coastal area. The property prices reflect that very clearly, although it's still very cheap when viewed in US$. Cape Town has simply gotten too expensive with all the people semigrating down there the last two decades and they have SERIOUS SERIOUS drought problems at the moment.

I have a friend from South Africa who has brought back some amazing bottles in the past. In Texas, we have Specs, which arguably has the most comprehensive selection, but obviously missing many of the 'best'. I find, even here locally, some of the best wines and beers never make it out of the winery or brewery. SOOOO ... you must travel and sample to know what you are missing. RIDE -> DRINK -> SLEEP repeat! :trust:

Thanks for the Specs' link - just asked SWAMBO and she is familiar with it. Will most certainly check them out next time I am in Dallas. We have the same problem here - the best produce gets shipped abroad due to higher prices paid.

Welcome! I was blessed to visit South Africa in 2004. I even got to hunt a bit. A beautiful country with great people. I'd love to go back.

RedPill, where and what did you hunt? There is a big variety to choose from, that is for sure. Was nice to see all the African deer on the wall when I went to Cabelas last year. Nothing like the African bush with a good wood fire and the night noises surrounding you. Not to mention that good wood fire smell.

Interesting that the discussion has turned to libations. I visited DRC, then known as Zaire (mid '90's). Enjoyed a wonderful bourgelais wine there. I remember it to this day but have never found it stateside.

PS, I visited wild dog forum and immediately got caught up in someone's story of immigrating to the US. Good stuff.

Africa is crazy wonderful place and will give you surprises, pleasant and unpleasant I reckon ;-) Its a place that holds your heart ransom.

I assume you saw Mr Zog's thread on Wilddogs, when he moved from SA to Florida a few years ago. He is a hard worker that is fo'sho! A nice read if you have the time to start at the beginning. There is another Wilddog in Canada, also sharing his experiences of life in the Great White North. Good to see how they adapt, start from the bottom and make life happen.

Last edited:
RedPill, where and what did you hunt? There is a big variety to choose from, that is for sure. Was nice to see all the African deer on the wall when I went to Cabelas last year. Nothing like the African bush with a good wood fire and the night noises surrounding you. Not to mention that good wood fire smell.

We hunted near Thabazimbi. My boss and I were there for a class training ESCOM on some powerline inspection software our company produced. He's a hunter, too, and he said he was thinking of taking a few days to hunt antelope (African deer). I'd been dreaming of doing that for years. So we took a few days. It was summer, but what the heck. I took an antelope, a wildebeest cow, and a really good bushbuck. I didn't want a wildebeest mount, but I wanted a rug. Did I mention it was summer? The pelt was very thin on my rug. It was a great experience. I passed on a kudu because a) I have 8 foot ceilings, and b) we weren't sure we could get it before dark. Turns out it would have fallen just about on the road. No worries. My boss took a kudu, a waterbuck, and two antelope.

I love seeing the mounts at Cabelas, too.

Man, Thabazimbi is a real furnace in the summer - I did a small project up there in 2008, so I felt the strain - nothing unlike certain parts of Texas, just without the well insulated & air conditioned houses. That is real bushveld though, beautiful when it gets decent summer rain and everything just turns green.

You guys shot quite a few bokke (Afrikaans for deer), well done. Have a few friends that hunt regularly and the one guy also shot a wildebees and made us some awesome boerewors (sausage) from it. Kudu makes for some spectacular biltong (kinda beef jerky). Ahhhh, this is giving me craving for meat now :trust:

Check out the following:

Biltong (beef jerky):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

Droeewors (dry sausage)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dro%C3%ABwors

That stuff is worth gold! I will post a pic of my biltong cutter.

PS: I know there is an ex-South-African in Houston that makes, sells and ships biltong & droeewors. I have not tried his meat yet so cant comment on it:

http://4biltong.com

Attachments

• Sliced biltong.jpg
    Sliced biltong.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 201
  • Droeewors.jpg
    Droeewors.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 227
  • Biltong.jpg
    Biltong.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Just to show the mods I do actually have a bike and this thread is not entirely about meat and wine, I present to you my sleeping peeg:

Attachments

• 20150922_173620 (Medium).jpg
    20150922_173620 (Medium).jpg
    34 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:
Man, Thabazimbi is a real furnace in the summer - I did a small project up there in 2008, so I felt the strain - nothing unlike certain parts of Texas, just without the well insulated & air conditioned houses. That is real bushveld though, beautiful when it gets decent summer rain and everything just turns green.

You guys shot quite a few bokke (Afrikaans for deer), well done. Have a few friends that hunt regularly and the one guy also shot a wildebees and made us some awesome boerewors (sausage) from it. Kudu makes for some spectacular biltong (kinda beef jerky). Ahhhh, this is giving me craving for meat now :trust:

Check out the following:

Biltong (beef jerky):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biltong

Droeewors (dry sausage)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dro%C3%ABwors

That stuff is worth gold! I will post a pic of my biltong cutter.

PS: I know there is an ex-South-African in Houston that makes, sells and ships biltong & droeewors. I have not tried his meat yet so cant comment on it:

http://4biltong.com

It was hot and very, very dry. That was almost at the end of a long drought. We found several sets of bones of bokke that just died, likely from the drought. It did remind me a lot of south Texas.

I love biltong, and I've tried my hand at making it, with limited success. I'll keep at it.

The best thing I ate while there was Impala Pie. It was wonderful! All the South Africans were raving about it. I guess the lady we were staying with that night is just an excellent cook. Second best was some gemsbok filet I had in Johannesburg. Yum!

Back