• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

wg from Hill Country

Reaction score
Howdy, Just found this site via the GL1800riders site. My wife and I live in the NW corner of Medina County about 40 miles NW of San Antonio. I have a vintage motorcycle carburetor rebuild and sales business and my shops are on our property where we live. My wife and I are avid two-up touring folk but my saddle time is limited to the amount of work backlog on my plate. Anyhow, we also have 10 dogs and 3 cats. My current bikes are a 2006 GL1800, a 1988 Voyager XII, two 1976 KZ900s, a 1978 KZ1000, a 1979 KZ1000E1 ST and a 1980 KZ1000E2 ST (project bike). I also drive a 1980 Caddy Coupe De Ville; mainly to go to church and out to eat. I have owned quite a few bikes in the past and have been riding since this morning or possibly earlier... will clarify when my memory comes back hehe I am a member of the Venturers, VROC and CMA.

Will post a pic of my favorite rider, 1979 KZ1000E1 ST:

red2tiny.jpg

Welcome! Awesome stable of bikes! Doesn't your Honda feel lonely?

Cool, welcome I seem to recall seeing that bike out there a
time or to as I am partial to the older style bikes
myself

I am riding your bikes Grandson a 2000ZRX

Welcome wg !!! This is a great site with a wide range of topics posted at any given time. Never boring.;-)

Welcome, I wish I had known about you earlier, I sent the carb from my 72 Enduro off to be rebuilt and it took forever. I have determined that what I do not know about carbs is 'A LOT'. At some point I will get this thing running, glad I am not dependent on it.

My wife and I live in the NW corner of Medina County about 40 miles NW of San Antonio.

Hey George and welcome! You're about 30 miles east of me atcf but 60 miles by mapquest. I looked for a backroad connection but can't see a sensible dual sport route even!

Hope to meet you some day.

Ed Scott
Utopia, TX

Ain't really sure what constitutes a "dual sport" route. I suspect Bandera county would be working on one of the roads along the way and have the pavement ripped off bwhahahaha The easiest way to get to Utopia from where I live is to go through Bandera to 470 north of town and go through Tarpley to the split with 187/470 and take the south leg. It is a pretty drive. We used to eat in Tarpley at the Iron Horse cafe all the time but it is now closed. We ride over to Utopia now and then and have lunch at the Los Maples. The one "dual sport" route I might consider if going to Utopia is to go to the Natural Area just south of Bandera on 173 and cut through to the road that goes from Tarpley to Hondo... 162 I think. That road is unpaved and a nightmare for a touring bike or even one of my old KZ bikes but I suspect would be a fun diversion on a dual sport.

Welcome, I wish I had known about you earlier, I sent the carb from my 72 Enduro off to be rebuilt and it took forever. I have determined that what I do not know about carbs is 'A LOT'. At some point I will get this thing running, glad I am not dependent on it.

Parts availability for the DT250 is kind of strange considering they made a zillion of them. When I was younger and more able to bounce back up after falling, I owned about a dozen DT series Yammies... in the early 70s. I rode them overseas in the service.

Dumb question... I looked in my user CP and didn't see anything. How does one set up where they don't receive emails every time someone replies to one of their posts? I don't want to fill my mail box with emails of this sort. I know that I can "unsubscribe" from any particular thread but how do I set up no emails as a default?

Dumb question... I looked in my user CP and didn't see anything. How does one set up where they don't receive emails every time someone replies to one of their posts? I don't want to fill my mail box with emails of this sort. I know that I can "unsubscribe" from any particular thread but how do I set up no emails as a default?

Edit Options should do that for you within User CP.

Welcome. My first bike was a '78 KZ650. I sure do miss it.

Ain't really sure what constitutes a "dual sport" route. I suspect Bandera county would be working on one of the roads along the way and have the pavement ripped off bwhahahaha The easiest way to get to Utopia from where I live is to go through Bandera to 470 north of town and go through Tarpley to the split with 187/470 and take the south leg. It is a pretty drive. We used to eat in Tarpley at the Iron Horse cafe all the time but it is now closed. We ride over to Utopia now and then and have lunch at the Los Maples. The one "dual sport" route I might consider if going to Utopia is to go to the Natural Area just south of Bandera on 173 and cut through to the road that goes from Tarpley to Hondo... 162 I think. That road is unpaved and a nightmare for a touring bike or even one of my old KZ bikes but I suspect would be a fun diversion on a dual sport.

Oh well then, I guess I'd be better to take the Vulcan then... my little XT225 with knobbies would get tiresome on that much pavement. I was just looking to see if there was some scenic back way because I'm looking for caliche roads that actually go somewhere to suggest to the D/S guys at the rally.

Lets get together sometime for some bbq or something. I used to love the extra-tender bbq at the Iron Horse, and the nice lady there that called me "Sweetie"... at my age any female niceness is much appreciated.

Her husband left her. Not sure of what happened with the two kiddos they had but they stopped working at the cafe. She ran the place by herself and I think she sold it as they got divorced or at least stopped running the restaurant and put it up for sale. I was sad as she was indeed a great cook. Everything on the menu was real good. Sad. That business was much needed out there. I was the one who initially wrote it up for Ride Texas magazine and the next year they got one of the 10 best awards. They were both real nice to my wife and me when we stopped by.

Her husband left her. Not sure of what happened with the two kiddos they had but they stopped working at the cafe. She ran the place by herself and I think she sold it as they got divorced or at least stopped running the restaurant and put it up for sale. I was sad as she was indeed a great cook. Everything on the menu was real good. Sad. That business was much needed out there. I was the one who initially wrote it up for Ride Texas magazine and the next year they got one of the 10 best awards. They were both real nice to my wife and me when we stopped by.

Well I sure wish she could have stayed in business or moved it to Utopia... just the right thing in the right place with the right attitude! I don't like Busbee's bbq in Bandera very much and that just leaves RBBQ in Sabinal for me. Hope to see you soon.

Ed

My dogs won't eat scraps from Busbee's. There is a new BBQ called Cowboy Capital BBQ just to the south side of the fair grounds on 16. That place has GREAT brisket. They are just starting up and nobody knows about the place. They lease a building from the folks that own a bunch of tourist cabins and the owner has put a dirt track for moto-x bikes in front. I have never ate in the BBQ place in Sabinal. We usually stop in that Mex restaurant on 127 going out of town. Is the RBBQ place also on 127 at the edge of town?

187 just at the north edge on the way to utopia... usually pretty good, but occasionally not so much. They have other stuff too.

oops my mistake... that is still 127 at that point... maybe we're talking about the same place because they also have mexican food

The mex place is a cement block building while you are still in town. The BBQ place is a bit farther out and is a wood building as I recall. I have never stopped there as I haven't seen many cars (or bikes) in the parking lot.

I'll have to give the mexican food joint a try then... !

Speaking of no cars in front, I remember a trip on the backroads home to dallas from corpus one time when we stopped at a little cafe in a small town with no cars in front at lunchtime... found out why there were no cars!

But honestly, RBBQ is usually pretty good. They have their lunchtime regulars and the lot is full then.

Back