• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hello from Yokosuka, Japan

Yep, saw the news about the Washington. Scary biz, a fire aboard ship, yikes! Be safe and watch the forums for stuff to keep that motorcycle interest alive.:rider: :eat:

Wow, lots of us have been there. With the military presence in Texas maybe I shouldn't be surprised, but I am. I did Yokota Air Base in Japan and both Kadena and Naha back before we gave Okinawa "back" to them. I don't know what the sentiment is like now, but back then the Okinawans didn't consider themselves Japanese. They wouldn't hesitate to correct you and tell you that they were either Okinawan or Ryukuan - but not Japanese. Of course that was in the early '60s and they didn't have pleasant memories of the Japanese in WWII.

In any case, :welcome: to the site.

I've spent about 6 weeks total in Japan. I absolutely love that place. There can't be a more bike-crazy culture on the planet.

Imagine 3 freakishly tall white dudes....(I'm the freak in the middle)
P6070186.jpg

...in the middle of this sea of 5'2" dark haired humanity. We looked rather comical. :)
P6070174.jpg

Yes Okinawians still dont like to be called Japanese, there are still some Marines down there but they are all moving to Guam since they cant stay out of trouble. Yes they love bikes, well scooters. I have never seen so many Liquor Cycles in my life, and that people actually re-locate there mirrors on there cages from the side to the hood so they dont get knocked off. I am almost back from my deployment and cant wait to get back and get the bandit un-crated and get everything done, just hope to get some riding in before the cold weather gets here, Yes I do ride in the cold but not the snow. Hey JMZ got your message, will send you one.

My last memories of Yokosuka date back to 1955--- I was stationed at Johnson AB in the 3rd Bomb Wing, 90th Bomb Sqdn. flying B-26s. We used Yokosuka as a place to practice let downs and touch & go landings. We always attempted to drive the LSO a little nutz---
I made one trip to Yokosuka on the ground on my unreliable 1952 Honda Dream. Neat looking, but if a dog relieved himself on the front wheel, it wouldn't start---:rider:
Anyway, welcome---- I have many fond memories of my 19 months over there---

I experienced the honch for the first time last year... the night before getting underway with the Wilbur... having a hangover your first time at sea is not recommended, especially if it's on a ddg :party:

My last memories of Yokosuka date back to 1955--- I was stationed at Johnson AB in the 3rd Bomb Wing, 90th Bomb Sqdn. flying B-26s.
My dad was at Yokota in the early 50's during Korea. B-29's of the 344th Bombardment Sqdn. He's 3rd from the right in my avatar.

Attachments

• scarf1.jpg
    scarf1.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 190
My dad was at Yokota in the early 50's during Korea. B-29's of the 344th Bombardment Sqdn. He's 3rd from the right in my avatar.

Yokota was about 5 miles off the North end of our runway--- There were lots of close calls because of Yokota's GCA and take offs at Johnson--- Did your dad stay in after the war? Is he still around?
Our squadron association is dwindling down fast!:-(

http://90thbombsqdn.org/

ようこそ!:welcome:

We have a couple of members that have some Japanese blood in them,

i am one of them japanese blooded guy. :rider:

btw, be carful learning japanese from them pretty girls. i have had many military men talk to me in girly manner, i thought they were hitting on me. :eek2:

>>btw, be carful learning japanese from them pretty girls. i have had many military men talk to me in girly manner, i thought they were hitting on me. <<

BAck when I was there in '54, I called them "long hair dictionaries"--- I found out about that "girly talk":lol2:

GM1, I spent 3 years on a DD out of Everett, Wa in which i did to West Pac's and a Rim Pac. Aling with going through 3 hurricanes so i know about rough sea's and hangover's, Also did a Med Cruise on a DDG. Well we have arrived back home and will be inport for awhile :clap: my goal next week is to go get the bike out of its crate and to all the startup maint. since its been in lay-up for 6 months.

I am learing JN talk from my Chief, he has been here before and unlike me he married a JN.

Yokota was about 5 miles off the North end of our runway--- There were lots of close calls because of Yokota's GCA and take offs at Johnson--- Did your dad stay in after the war? Is he still around?
Our squadron association is dwindling down fast!:-(

http://90thbombsqdn.org/
He did 20, retiring as a MSGT; NCOIC Combat Tactical Air Freqs for SE Asia. He liked Guam so much we stayed there after he got out. He passed 2.5 years later of cancer. He wondered if it was from some Agent Orange he came in contact with in Vietnam but there was no way to prove it.

I only know one other person in the photograph; he's 5th from the end and has been a family friend since before I was born. He served in WWII in B-25's and was shot down near the end of the war.

I've spent about 6 weeks total in Japan. I absolutely love that place. There can't be a more bike-crazy culture on the planet.

Imagine 3 freakishly tall white dudes....(I'm the freak in the middle)
P6070186.jpg
I know Steve. Must be a small world... :wary:

GNNY8698, welcome aboard, and thank you for your service :patriot:

my father is a marine. met my mom in iwakuni and i was born over there. we would go back every 4 years to visit for the summer..

Back