• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Howdy! Dallasite here

b6092d074751f9cf2162ee95721c1d7b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

141's?! man i'm sorry

at least you eventually got over to the dark & dirty side

not to offend, but eh, I'm new.

but jet crews sucked and blew their way around the world

but prop crews screwed their way around the world

4 years and 630 hours logged as a flight mechanic on 141's. I didn't now nuthin but I managed to get by.

19.5 years and 130 hours logged and many more that weren't on the 130. I knew it pretty darn well.

b6092d074751f9cf2162ee95721c1d7b.jpg

That's awesome. the Hercs with the 4 externals.

When I was over in the sandbox I did a couple fuel transfer missions where they loaded the bladders and the ground fueling pallet on the ramp. Hate crawling around or over the bladders trying to do checks. Also not fun to fly around in a threat environment with big rubber bags of gas sloshing around. We get hit... You're a fireball.

I was much happier flying the equipment and the self loading, breathing cargo.

My crew was actually featured on a 60-minutes piece. But we all decided to be cool and wear our dark visors and no patches so you cant really tell whos who in the video.

But you know the real pisser? I separate from the AF and 2 years later, Dyess gets all the Hercs replaced with C130-30J's 24 of em. Dyess now has the world's largest single Fleet of J models. Flip over rollers, no nav, no FE.

Bad timing on my part.

Well it's now 23. They lost a bird overseas in 2015. NVG case blocked the yoke and it stalled out on t.o. burned and lost the entire crew. I didn't know anybody on that bird thank God.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

That's awesome. the Hercs with the 4 externals.

The two outboard "tanks" are actually not external tanks at all. They house two hose and drogue refueling reels. We had these large I believe 6000 gallon "roll on roll off" aluminum fuel tanks that we could install to carry more fuel to do longer refueling missions with.

So 60,000 lbs of gas baged out on internal and external stores then another 48,000 in the cargo area aux tank described above. Can go quite a while on that.

So 60,000 lbs of gas baged out on internal and external stores then another 48,000 in the cargo area aux tank described above. Can go quite a while on that.

I dont know if I could stand being stuck on an airplane with marines for that long.

Marines are odd. [emoji6] [emoji6]

Bagged out we can get from Travis AFB to Hawaii in a T model. Not much left but we can get there. The only time I ever saw the Airframes shop put the aux tank in was when we were going to be doing nothing but Aerial refueling ops.

As for riding with Marines for that long...........Just give us some crayons to eat and we won't lick your windows.

I went over the Atlantic twice in c130s one to the east once to the west. Stops in st johns, iceland, then England.

I just find a soft spot on the baggage pallet and sleep.
As for everybody else, if you're nice I'll pull the rollers up and let you sleep on the floor. Be a dick (army) and you keep your *** in the webbing.

Oh!
And dont you DARE use the honey bucket on my bird. I dont care how shiny or what shape your insignia is.

I can only remember one time we ever filled the pylon tanks. Most of the time we were at either 155000 or 172000. And had to sacrifice fuel for payload.

If we went across the Atlantic we would usually stop in St Johns then Spain or England. WE did the Carnaries once (SP?) on the way to Morroco for Operation African Lion.

I did Thailand twice. Both times went NAS Fort Worth>Travis AFB>Hickam AFB>Wake Island (awesome piece of history)>Philippines>Thailand>Philippines>Guam(had to drop off parts to a broken down bird)>Wake Island>Hickam>Travis>Fort Worth

I loved stopping so much and St Johns became one of my favorite places ever.

Ts had a regular toilet (except for the older Ts) but we never serviced them. If you had to poop you put two trash bags in the bowl and then carried your own poop off the plane when you got to where you were going.

Last edited:
Never went West. Never did the far East.

Did break in insurlik turkey for a week that was fun. Why is the parts bird in a 12-ship always the one that breaks? Got lots of coins out of that trip.

That broke down bird in Guam was from a different trip 598 (one of our -30 T models that was longer than a standard T) had went on can't remember where. Upon landing in Guam it snapped the torque arm between the two main gear struts on the left side. Aircrew said they needed new shorts after that one.

Never had that happen, but I've blown tires on takeoff and landing. A few in flight engine shutdowns and more non closing troopdoors than I care to count. That **** spring is deadly.

Used to go to ft benning to do troop drops every few weeks. Loved messing with the new jumpers.

welcome aboard, Cory. No more flying for me after a disastrous business trip to vegas and back. the only thing that could have gone wrong but didn't was crashing.

Our group CO was a F-18 guy. He used to raise **** when we would report an engine failure in flight. All the C-130 guys would shrug their shoulders and say "what's the big deal we have 3 more".

Marines are odd. [emoji6] [emoji6]

Navy here, first hand experience with those devil dogs. They are a very odd and fun group. Not sure i'd be around them that long either tbh, least not in that close of proximity xD. Aircraft carrier, what can ya do? heh

Our group CO was a F-18 guy. He used to raise **** when we would report an engine failure in flight. All the C-130 guys would shrug their shoulders and say "what's the big deal we have 3 more".

That's because F/A-18's only have two! xD But I can understand where he's comin' from on that. I worked on 'em for almost 6 years.

See in the airlift world, theres not really much if any transfer from fast movers to the big boys. My co was an airlift guy. Pretty much all the rank flew the birds.

But I had a first shirt who came from the ground and had no idea how to handle us flyboys. He just was baffled at our actions and behavior. He didn't get the laid back community of aviators.

I've been thinking.... and yeah I know how dangerous that is...

There seems to be enough people on here that have an aviation background... maybe one of these days engineer an aviation themed ride? See the sites in Dfw that have aviation history. Cavanaugh flight museum in addison, love field, the Dfw observation area, American airlines hq.... plus some Tarrant county sites. How's that sound?

No time soon, Issues I have to fix first. Just throwing it out there

Last edited:
Not a bad idea. I still have base access till Aug 2018 so I can get us on Nas Fort Worth to see the static birds lol

When I was growing up yes. When I was stationed there I used them interchangeably.

NAS Fort Worth JRB used to be a SAC base back in the day called Carswell. Most people who grew up around here still call it Carswell.

Back when B-36s used to fly out of there they had a few high profile accidents. This was back in the 50s.

NAS Fort Worth JRB used to be a SAC base back in the day called Carswell. Most people who grew up around here still call it Carswell.

Back when B-36s used to fly out of there they had a few high profile accidents. This was back in the 50s.

Proved the point of how young I am compared to this crowd. I've only been in since breakfast here xD

Back