• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Namaste from an Indian rider - excited to join the group

Reaction score
Hello fellow riders,

I was not born in Texas, but I got here as fast as I could!!! I have been riding motorcycles in India since I was 18. Started off with an iconic Yamaha 100cc RX 100 2 stroke and hence my name. I later upgraded to the RX135 and then moved to several 4 strokes and larger ones. My most recent experience has been with the Triumph Bonneville and Harley Street 750, 2 popular ones in India.

The RX100 was equivalent of a supersport for our market delivering instant acceleration and fully usable 11bhp. I hail from Chennai (Madras) that is home to the legendary brand, Royal Enfield and is perhaps are the only hand built motorcycles now. I owned a 1969 model which was sold after restoration.

India until recently was not a performance motorcycle market. Most people ride to go about their lives and not for pleasure. But the growing economy has opened the market and thanks to Harley and others, we have a decent performance and enthusiast market. I almost booked a Honda CBR650F just before I decided to relocate.

To make the story short, I am in San Antonio now and considering a supersport, either the CBR600RR or the GSXR600. I did see a few models. I am ready to spend the time to learn the machine, invest in good riding gear and be careful. Strongly believe in AGATT.

I need help and advise on the following items:

1. Why does the GSXR have a bad reputation in the US? When I ask someone on the bike they say its for kids and squids. They recommend that for my age, I get something more matured. I don't want cruisers. From reviews, the GSXR seems to be a good model and is at par with the Honda and Yamahas.

Is it because of the profile of riders? Apologize if my question is offensive, I am not well versed with the US market.

2. What are the best insurance providers?

3. Why are Hondas hard to find in the used market while we have many Suzukis?

4. Does San Antonio have a good riding group with members in 30+ age group?

Last edited:
Q-1 answers Q-3. Some bikes are throwaways, some aren't, and YES re the "profile" question. You never "Met the nicest people" on a Suzie-Q.
Q-2: All over the map - some have good experiences with carriers that others curse, and vice virtue. Ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice.
Q-4: What's a "riding group?" Izzat like H.O.G. or the Bandidos? If so, yeah.

:welcome:

Last edited:
Welcome to Texas and to TWT! :wave:

:tab Often the serious sport bikes are bought by young kids using their parents income. They are young and believe themselves to be bullet proof, so they do stupid things on the bikes. The Squid nickname is because they tend to dart around like squids to in the water or they leave nasty smears when they crash... Who really knows? However, because of their high accident rate, insurance rates for those kinds of bikes can be MUCH higher than for other bikes, sometimes several thousand dollars per year. If you are an older and more experienced rider, you might get a break on insurance rates. To be fair, it is not just the GSXR that fits that profile. It is ALL of the top sport bikes of any brand and also often even the 600-750 size sport bikes as well.

:tab I have been using Progressive for bike insurance for years now and they have been really good. Some of the carriers started getting away from insuring bikes, particularly sport bikes. You might also try Allstate, State Farm, and Geico just to get some rate comparisons. Be aware that the policy may not cover your riding gear or any medical expenses. Those things can be added, but they will increase your payments. With Progressive, I have extra coverage for several thousand in riding gear and also for stuff added to the bike (luggage, GPS, crash guards, etc,...).

:tab I really couldn't tell you why used Hondas might be harder to find than any other brand :shrug:

:tab Many of your 30+ age group riders that still ride sport bikes do it on the track and/or also have more than one bike. There are folks here on TWT that do the track days.

:tab We have a lot of dual sport (DS) riders here as well. If you are in San Antonio, you are close to the Hill Country and lots of fun DS riding! You can get a taste of that by reading this thread ;-)

I thought squid = squirrely kid ?
Y'know squirrels zoom around all crazy act like they change their mind last instant...

Welcome aboard!

Check out a Honda VFR, most of the sport of the GSXR without the certain...er...cache.

There were a couple of really nice ones for sale on the forum awhile back. Not sure if they're still around.

And +1 on Progressive.

Howdy neighbor.

1.) quintessential squid bike. Nothing wrong with the bike in my opinion, but it seems that everyones "gixter" "gixxer" "gix" is "the badded bike ever" and they can "outrun anyone one" on it.

2.) Best depends on if you are after. Price wise Dairyland has been the best ofr me.

3.) iunno, but the bulk of my garage is honda.

4.) I rarely do group rides. I'm not claiming to be a saint, but I prefer to set my own pace. Oh, and something about hooliganism inspires hooliganism.

Last edited:
Welcome! I agree with the other posters that insurance is a real problem (cost-wise) with the "crotch-rocket" bikes (unless you carry liability only). I've been with Progressive for a number of years, but have also used Dairyland and others in the past. I generally ride BMWs and prefer a more upright riding posture; I'm not interested in setting "land speed records", so anything with 70 hp or more will work for me on highway. If you're commuting then luggage, perhaps a fairing or windshield, and a comfortable seat should be considered. Enjoy your riding!
I would say just buy a good solid bike that will do the job until you fully explore what's available and just how different your riding style is going to be from what you've experienced in the past.

Welcome.
The other challenge with a GSXR and other similar bikes, is that in addition to the reputation, because they often are abused, it's hard to find one that's not been ridden hard and put up wet.

Welcome & enjoy!

I've used Progressive and Dairyland, one thing I like about Dairyland they have a $5k other coverage (ie gear, accs., etc).

Ditto on the 'squid' size bikes being abused by their owners, What about a Wee Strom?

Back