• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: Austin TARA: Monthly ride

Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Gibbens
(Dec 17, 2018 Note: I have updated the monthly routes for 2019. Please download the new route file.)

The Austin TARA (Texas Adventure Riders Association) Chapter sponsors a monthly dual sport adventure ride the first Saturday of every month. All riders are invited to attend.

We meet at 8:30 am at the Texaco gas station/convenience store, 18901 Hamilton Pool Road, Dripping Springs, 78620 (intersection of Hwy 12 and Hamilton Pool Rd/3238). Stands up at 9 am.

Every month we ride a different route to keep things interesting. The planned routes include both paved and off-pavement riding and are suitable for any street-legal dual sport adventure bike. You can download the route gps files below.

There is no designated ride leader for the monthly ride (i.e. no one is in charge). Riders self-organize into small groups and then enjoy a fun day in the Texas hill country.

Austin monthly dual sport ride routes:

Jan: Wimberley, 126 miles

Feb: Luckenbach, 182 miles

Mar: Willow City Loop, 174 miles

Mar alternate route: Castell, 189 miles (for those who want to ride a slightly longer route)

April: San Saba, 226 miles

May: Fredericksburg, 229 miles

June: Johnson City, 124 miles

July: Marble Falls, 141 miles

Aug: Spicewood, 132 miles

Sep: Kendalia, 147 miles

Oct: James River, 225 miles

Nov: Pontotoc, 222 miles

Dec: Burnet, 151 miles

You can download the route gps files here.

What if the weather is bad? The ride still occurs. There is a chance you may be the only rider to show up, but the ride is never cancelled. This way, no matter what the weather forecast, those riders who want to ride always have a scheduled ride.

What if there is an event (such as a rally) scheduled for that same weekend? The first Saturday ride is still on. This way those riders who aren't attending the other ride/rally have a scheduled Saturday ride they can attend.

What if someone else is organizing a day ride on Sunday? The Saturday ride is still happening. Any and all other rides are in addition to the monthly Saturday ride, not a replacement for the Saturday ride.

The first Saturday ride is never cancelled. It is always on.

Last edited:
Riders,

The first Saturday ride is happening in 9 days. Attend and be part of history! :clap:

Trail Boss where would you suggest to park a truck and trailer?

You all have fun! Wish I could but have a good friend visiting and a full weekend planned. Take some pictures, Richard.

Having checked the weather forecast, some of you may be wondering, "Is the ride on if there is rain in the forecast?"

The short answer is "Yes".

This is a self-guided ride - meaning that there isn't a single person in charge of this ride. The logistics (time, location, route, gps file, etc) are already worked out so those who want to ride only need show up, organize into groups, and go ride.

Even if the weather man says it's going to rain, the ride is still on. Those who don't care if it rains will show up while those who don't want to ride in the rain (like me) will find something else to do that day.

So, in summary, the ride is always on. Note, however, that if the weather forecast is bad, there might be very few riders attending.

The amounts forcasted so far are "just enough to keep the dust down". Fingers crossed it stays that way

Yea, I'm going to sit this one out. I don't have any rain gear and still stock tires. Plus I have to take my kid to PT in the morning.

Winter in Texas mostly means rain. On the weekends. And that's how it's shaping up for this weekend.

No worries, the next ride is Saturday, April 1st. See everyone at that ride.

It says showers in the afternoon.
Is anyone making this ride?
I don't want to trailer from Houston if no one is riding.

I just checked the 36 hour forecast. It shows showers beginning at 7 am Saturday morning, increasing to light rain by 9 am, and rain at noon through the remainder of the afternoon. Up to a 1/2 inch total throughout the day.

SpiritAtBay and I am out. :headbang:

Back