• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Do Music and Motorcycles go together?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IriEq4H1XSU"]Jeff Beck - Cause We've Ended As Lovers - YouTube[/ame]

Great song from my alltime favorite Jeff Beck album. Man, his talent is unworldly. Not that I don't love Clapton & Page, but he is on another level!

Hey I get it fully... I ride the daylights out of bikes , or used to until the last year and a couple of eye surgeries. I've played guitar a lot for 53 years as well and get that the gigs were you out now :-) I've never once tried to listen to music and ride. I'm into the ride or the music but go 100% with either at any given time. Can't do both well at the same time. Just not good at hard core multitasking perhaps... If I listen to music I can't work either. I'm analyzing the melody and bass lines 100%. Just need separate times for both passions I guess.

As per the subject title to this thread....then I'd say NO for me.

I play bass guitar in the Houston/Humble/Kingwood area in about 5 bands at last count. I'm booked weekends with gigs since Oct 31 thru Dec 2nd. This usually means I get home about 3am-4am depending on the venue location. And I'm usually draggin butt the Sat or Sun morning after a gig.

Some bike friends, a TWT member or Nextdoor.com acquaintance have invited me on weekend morning rides since I bought my '11 "Oui" this past February. But I'm just not ready to roll out that early after a long nite of giggin.

Now, I'm 59 and don't play in loud rock bands anymore. Mostly now, country, blues, R&B, etc bands only. But these gigs take alot of energy and I mostly feel like just sitting n watching alot of football come Sunday.

So since I'm retired from my square job, I try to get in some weekday, mid-morning rides on my own. Usually an hour at most, then back home. Most my playmates are still at work at that time. I had to get my "Oui" inspected last month, so got one short ride in Oct. :doh:

So yeah; no. Music just don't go with me n motorcycling. And no, I don't want to hear music when I do ride, I like to listen to anything but music while I ride. I mute my phone and carry it zipped up in my riding jacket. But I rarely ride, so there's that. I will make more riding time soon. peace y'all, e.

Hey I get it fully... I ride the daylights out of bikes , or used to until the last year and a couple of eye surgeries. I've played guitar a lot for 53 years as well and get that the gigs were you out now :-) I've never once tried to listen to music and ride. I'm into the ride or the music but go 100% with either at any given time. Can't do both well at the same time. Just not good at hard core multitasking perhaps... If I listen to music I can't work either. I'm analyzing the melody and bass lines 100%. Just need separate times for both passions I guess.

Ed I was seeing if TWT members were as into music as bikes. I do not ride with music either but my passion for music and motorcycles is about equal. I love music and bikes and was curious to know if others out in TWT land did also.

Was interested in what bands riders listen to. Seeing if anyone listened to the same groups I listen to? I have found several new bands that I enjoy also now because of this thread.

Still planning on invading your place maybe soon.:deal: Keep in touch.

Last edited:
I posted a later version of this in another thread a while back.

This morning this version was posted on another site I frequent.
Music is so very subjective, but these voices combined with these lyrics.....what country oughta be.

[ame="https://youtu.be/0xOQN_5AgXs"]Joe Ely, Jimmy Dale Gilmore, Butch Hancock - If You Were A Bluebird - YouTube[/ame]

I am one of the few that doesn't listen to music when riding. Being a musician, I tend to pay too much time listening to and analyzing songs,
diverting my concentration from what I'm really on the bike to do, ride.

I love music. I have over 100 stations on Pandora.
But I'm with you. I usually listen to the voices in my head while riding.

Ya kno how...in the Summer heat....when you're lookin for sumthin ta do in air conditioned comfort.....& ya end up surfin the web..... & sometimes.....

https://youtu.be/mSB71jNq-yQ

& then ya remember some goofy thing ya heard on 92.5 the other mornin...

[ame="https://youtu.be/E6OPws_NT1U"]chicken disco - YouTube[/ame]

Ok....I'll release the hostage now.....

Bac to the real thread

[ame="https://youtu.be/dyQJH615KwA"]Buckethead - One of the best, most emotional versions of Soothsayer Live @ Gothic 9-28-2012 - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Ya kno how...in the Summer heat....when you're lookin for sumthin ta do in air conditioned comfort.....& ya end up surfin the web..... & sometimes.....

https://youtu.be/mSB71jNq-yQ

& then ya remember some goofy thing ya heard on 92.5 the other mornin...

chicken disco - YouTube

Ok....I'll release the hostage now.....

Bac to the real thread

Buckethead - One of the best, most emotional versions of Soothsayer Live @ Gothic 9-28-2012 - YouTube

Wonder if that was the "regular" or "extra crispy" version? Some good guitar work there.:jammin:

Going way back to the OPs thread title....no, they really don't go together.

Food for thought - It would be interesting to know just how many dead motorcyclists might still be with us, but aren't because they were distracted/lost in the music/riding way above the level of safety the situation dictated/meandering aimlessly to the doobie bros or whatever the case may have been as they were listening to something that affected their normal riding behaviour

That's not bashing music itself or anyones preferences for such, but all of us are pretty aware of how music affects us emotionally....

Food for thought - It would be interesting to know just how many dead motorcyclists might still be with us, but aren't because they were distracted/lost in the music/riding way above the level of safety the situation dictated/meandering aimlessly to the doobie bros or whatever the case may have been as they were listening to something that affected their normal riding behaviour

That's not bashing music itself or anyones preferences for such, but all of us are pretty aware of how music affects us emotionally....

Has nothing to do with riders cruising with music blaring. I was seeing if motorcyclist were just as passionate for music and what bands they listen to. Not necessarily on their motorcycles but in general.

I have found a ton of new music due to the thread that I now enjoy. As a side note I do not ride and listen to music. But do enjoy music as much as riding. :rider::dude::drums::jammin:

Last edited:

I wasn't ever going to jump in this thread but you made me.

I don't believe music would effect riding. In fact if I could listen to ac/dc while on my dirt bike at hidden falls or out at bbrsp I could ride better. On the street it is no factor at all for me. BUT ,BUT , taking a phone call through my Sena while riding gravel roads on my Tenere greatly effected my concentration.

My wife won't let me sing in church I'm so off key. When I ride I helmet sing A cappella and sound great to me. My favorite is "Born to be Wild". :mrgreen:
I sound much better in a closed face than open face.:rider:

My wife won't let me sing in church I'm so off key. When I ride I helmet sing A cappella and sound great to me. My favorite is "Born to be Wild". :mrgreen:

[ame="https://youtu.be/egMWlD3fLJ8"]Steppenwolf - Born To Be Wild (Easy Rider) (1969) - YouTube[/ame]

Come to church with me. We're a cappella and EVERYBODY sings! Loud & proud.

Top 5-10:

I have played guitar for the better part of 25 years, so most of what I listen to has to have strong blues/rock guitar. If you haven't heard of any of these bands and are interested in that type of thing, give these a listen.

1. Gov't Mule
2. Anything w/ Warren Haynes (Newer Allman Bros, Warren Haynes Band, Gov't Mule, Solo Stuff, etc)
3. Marcus King Band
4. Anything with Derek Trucks (Derek Trucks Band, Tedeshi Trucks Band, New Allman Bros.)
5. Winery Dogs
6. Jeff Healey
7. SRV
8. Greg Koch
9. Allman Bros
10. Joe Bonamassa

I’d have to say absolutely ...
Yesterday could not have been more poiniant instance of it.
Even if Linkin Park is not your music the importance of the day can not be missed. It has now been a year since Linkin Park’s frontman Chester Bennington took his own life. Whenever anyone takes their own life its always tragic loss, something that all of us should try help prevent but, even on such a tragic day with Chester on my mind, being out on the bike brought propective and an appreciation for the man, the music, the rythmic flow that he created for you when you are out alone on that lonely strech of backroad enjoying your favorite bends. The day could not have been more perfect. No traffic, few cops and b/c of increased temps a very noticeable drop in humidity and impeccable performance from my cbr1000rr scooter. All in all I could not think of way to better spend remembering a person that by all accounts was a genuinely nice person.

Pls if you know of anyone who thinks theres on other way pls help them make that call to:

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
http://www.mission22.com/#ourcause

Last edited:

I'll see your Disco Chicken (hilarious) and raise you a Sheep.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZlfbep2LdU"]Beep Beep I'm a Sheep (feat. TomSka & BlackGryph0n) | asdfmovie10 song | LilDeuceDeuce - YouTube[/ame]

Wonder if that was the "regular" or "extra crispy" version? Some good guitar work there.:jammin:

Buckethead is a genius.

BTW... I ran across my old MiniDisc player this week, with the never released Code Blue "True Story" stuff on it. I need to get you that.

...no, they really don't go together. .

Depends on the rider, and their relationship with music.
I have to ride with earplugs and a full face helmet, as I have hearing damage. I find with a great set of in-ears, and some great riding music, I'm more aware of my surroundings and what I am doing, than if I was just hearing the drone of the engine and wind.

Your mileage may vary.

Buckethead is a genius.

BTW... I ran across my old MiniDisc player this week, with the never released Code Blue "True Story" stuff on it. I need to get you that.

That would be sweet. I was just listening to "New hope for the Wretched" Plasmatics CD this weekend. Had not heard any of that CD in a good while.

I like this band a lot. I mostly listen to heavy metal with some weird mashup stuff thrown in.

This isn't metal, but just rock and a fun song.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enZbATrUnxU&list=RDeUUCXnzcLeM&index=3"]Floater - Matadors - YouTube[/ame]

Back