• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Installed K&N Air Filter On Versys 1000

Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Last Name
Wells III
Since it's suppose to get to 87 degrees today i wanted to get the filter changed this morning.

39952066491_fe0f038642_b.jpg
K&N Air Filter Install by weljo2001, on Flickr

Took the 2 upper side fairing off and the 2 tank bolts. Only needed to take one hose off on the left side of the tank right by the grommet that you can see in the photo.Pulling the tank straight up the bar risers will be in the way so just move the tank while lifting to the right or left to get by the risers. When i lifted the tank i found a bolt that other have found while working on their bikes

39053979935_6f0066453c_b.jpg

Used a handle off a paint roller to hold up the tank.

39053978355_332e8cd0e0_b.jpg

Took all the screws out of the air box. Would hold the tank when needed to get to the bottom screws.The stock filter has the screen to the top..Had 7200 miles on the stock filter..

39242006654_efdb99e5d8_b.jpg

39242006704_3cf8b9b07d_b.jpg

K&N installed and air box tightened down with sticker put on. The screw in the middle of the box was a pain so i took one of those telescoping rod with a magnet on the end put the magnet end to the screw driver rod next to the handle and it allowed the screw to stick to the screw driver so i could guide it into the hole and tightened it down.

39952067041_46d0552a63_b.jpg

Lowered the tank to it's position and tightened the tank bolts. Needed to use the telescoping magnet again to get the tank bolts lined up in the holes. Put the hose back on the tank and put some multi purpose white grease on the grommets to make for an easier install of the upper side fairings (worked really nice)

39952068301_3c675de638_b.jpg

39242006244_b6d6c2acca_b.jpg

If you pop two 1" holes on the sides of the airbox under the filter, on the sides of the "v" shape next to the rubber snout in the middle, it'll pick up another couple HP up top, at least it does on the Z/Ninja 1000 per Ivan's. Also give you a little bit of intake honk when you get on it.

If you pop two 1" holes on the sides of the airbox under the filter, on the sides of the "v" shape next to the rubber snout in the middle, it'll pick up another couple HP up top, at least it does on the Z/Ninja 1000 per Ivan's. Also give you a little bit of intake honk when you get on it.

Good to know...

The holes are still pre-filter, doesn't let any unfiltered air into the motor. It breathes from roughly the same spot as stock, just without having to suck it through several bends in the frame rails it normally breathes through.

Just took it out for a BBQ run. First time out with the new filter. I'm not looking for any hp gains. I like that with the filter the bike seems less restricted and for sure breathes better. Noticed it was smoother and quicker than before. So I'm happy with the results....

Last edited:
Back