• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TWT 2018 Fall Rally - Eureka Springs - NOW WITH DIRT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rod,

I went on that ferry near AR125 with the Fazer a few years ago. We had a powerful lightning storm as we crossed the lake. We all tried to squeeze into the one man boat captains room.

:lol2:

RB

Last edited:
Just needed a #1 golf iron. As the old joke goes, even God can't hit a one iron. :rofl:

Put me down as a strong maybe. I need to to in Mena Arkansas on the 14th, so I will enjoy this rally and move south to another. Sweeeeet!

Got all my vacation days consumed by family gatherings. Gonna have to drop out of this one.

How are the dirt roads in Arkansas compare to roads in CO?

I have not ridden any NW Arkansas dirt roads personally, but from what I've read and photos I've seen, they are some of the best in the country. See Mike's earlier posts with photos of his past rides.

:tab Colorado has everything from easy peasy graded gravel/dirt roads to full on OMG nasty rocky mountain passes that are challenging even in a 4WD jeep or on a serious dirt bike. Arkansas has many many easy nice forest/county roads that you can drive most any car/truck down with no problem, unless they get muddy. It also has some roads that get pretty technical because of water crossings with big rocks and fast moving water. In terms of just sheer rugged rock crawling roads, Arkansas has nothing on the hard stuff in Colorado. The most technical stuff will be two track ATV trails. They are generally shown on maps with a five digit road number and they typically run straight up the side of the mountains. So they can get pretty steep and sometimes rough. Most of the regular roads tend to run along the valleys and ridges, and they will have switchbacks at the ends or occasionally on the sides of the ridges that connect the high roads the low roads. They are easily done on most any adventure bike. There is also the altitude thing. I can't think of anywhere in Arkansas where I felt like I was unable to breathe because the air was too thin... Now, there have been times where I felt like I couldn't breathe because the humidity was so high I felt like I was going to drown... :huh2:

:tab Colorado has everything from easy peasy graded gravel/dirt roads to full on OMG nasty rocky mountain passes that are challenging even in a 4WD jeep or on a serious dirt bike. Arkansas has many many easy nice forest/county roads that you can drive most any car/truck down with no problem, unless they get muddy. It also has some roads that get pretty technical because of water crossings with big rocks and fast moving water. In terms of just sheer rugged rock crawling roads, Arkansas has nothing on the hard stuff in Colorado. The most technical stuff will be two track ATV trails. They are generally shown on maps with a five digit road number and they typically run straight up the side of the mountains. So they can get pretty steep and sometimes rough. Most of the regular roads tend to run along the valleys and ridges, and they will have switchbacks at the ends or occasionally on the sides of the ridges that connect the high roads the low roads. They are easily done on most any adventure bike. There is also the altitude thing. I can't think of anywhere in Arkansas where I felt like I was unable to breathe because the air was too thin... Now, there have been times where I felt like I couldn't breathe because the humidity was so high I felt like I was going to drown... :huh2:
Thanks for the info. We just got back from Silverton, CO and those roads are crazy. We hit several passes up there. We jad a lot of fun and learned a lot. I'm looking forward to riding in Arkansas. I've been to Mena several times but never left the pavement. Just wasn't sure how it compared.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Need suggestions for lunch and dinner for trip...breakfast in Blanco set(Chess Club Cafe). Should be around Waco or Corsicana for lunch, spending night in Paris(going to put that on Facebook).

Colorado definitely has more of the OMG super rocky roads and more technical passes.

Arkansas has county roads and forest service roads that can be smooth and easy then over the hill its rough, rocky and rain washed ruts with low water crossings then switchbacks with loose gravel off camber climbs up. Then you pop out onto a nice section of twisty smooth pavement for a while!

Its just a nice variety that makes the riding a great adventure all day long.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

GF decided not to go, so I moved over to the Swiss Inn.

2 rooms left they said.

Here's a little something for everyone to mull over.

Last year we did a group dinner together at the Bavarian Inn Restaurant. It was very good and everyone seemed to enjoy it.

There are a few other options available to us, however, so if the group would like to change things up a bit, we can go a different direction.

The options that will accommodate our group include Italian, traditional American/comfort food, barbecue, Thai/Asian, burgers/bar & grill, or a different German restaurant.

Any input appreciated!

Last time I was at the Bavarian, the food and beer were excellent. Our whole group really like it.

It is looking iffy for us being there. I am in the middle of having my garage rebuilt to fix some serious storm damage and it is not looking like it will be done before this event. That means my trailer will still be FULL of what used to be in my garage, so I won't be able to haul the bikes up. I might see if I can convince my wife to let me ride up with just Daniel and bring the GS instead of bringing the whole family.

Love the fall weather and would really like to be outside as much as possible. Is anyone camping? Is there a campsite close by?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back