• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Around the Bend - March 22-25, 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody heard from Mark? Hopefully he is OK and recovering nicely

I don't remember his last name. He is from Austin. He has white beard, drz400 rider that broke his leg on Thursday afternoon on the hills behind the ride HQ campsite. His buddy was carrying him in his SUV to Alpine and then if needed to wherever he needed to go.

I hope he is OK. h
Which Mark

We had a rider named Mark Johnson pre-registered but he did not check in at the registration table Thursday night. Does any one know Mark Johnson? Was he the rider that got hurt?

JT

I think you are spot on. Mark Johnson....

We had a rider named Mark Johnson pre-registered but he did not check in at the registration table Thursday night. Does any one know Mark Johnson? Was he the rider that got hurt?

JT

I found this video on ADVrider (fast forward to min 12:03). Video of Godzilla Hill we did on Friday on GSADV bikes. We rode from the other direction coming down from top of the steep hill. Looking down from the top was scary enough, let alone riding down... Surely the scariest thing I ever did on a motorcycle. The video doesn't really convey the feeling of the actual steepness but it is what I found. I have some footage I am putting together and should post it later in the week.

[ame="https://youtu.be/lH1rPeG9s8k"]3 BigDog2015Southwest - YouTube[/ame]

I found this video on ADVrider (fast forward to min 12:03). Video of Godzilla Hill we did on Friday on GSADV bikes...
3 BigDog2015Southwest - YouTube

For the record - that's Gorilla Hill, named by Steve Smith and his crew when they re-discovered this road (which they called the Lost Trail) many years ago.

Godzilla Hill is across the border in Mexico and was discovered by Izzy and his crew. It is much steeper and more difficult than Gorilla hill (not saying Gorilla isn't steep or difficult).

In between these two hills in difficulty is King Kong hill, located in Big Bend Ranch State Park, named by my Uncle who claimed naming rights after being the first motorcyclists to legally ride up it.

Last edited:
^^^
Good to know - thanks for the clarification - I’ve been calling Gorilla hill Godzilla for some time. Now that I finally had a chance to ride Gorilla and have gotten to do King Kong a few times, that leaves Godzilla. Always good to have a goal.

^^^
Good to know - thanks for the clarification - I’ve been calling Gorilla hill Godzilla for some time. Now that I finally had a chance to ride Gorilla and have gotten to do King Kong a few times, that leaves Godzilla. Always good to have a goal.

I rode up Godzilla once, with JT’s help. I’m not sure I ever want to do it again.If you ask JT I’ll bet he would ride it with you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I found this video on ADVrider (fast forward to min 12:03). Video of Godzilla Hill we did on Friday on GSADV bikes. We rode from the other direction coming down from top of the steep hill. Looking down from the top was scary enough, let alone riding down... Surely the scariest thing I ever did on a motorcycle. The video doesn't really convey the feeling of the actual steepness but it is what I found. I have some footage I am putting together and should post it later in the week.

John - here you go. You and Cody descending Godzogorilla...or whatever Richard wants to call it. I could be wrong, but it looks like maybe you've both sorta got your feet down:

4BV0fB1.jpg

aRDLcwJ.jpg

Track ending at the Rio Grande, on one of the two or three "do-overs" we found with Richard's gpx file. Was it guaranteed?

uA28Sph.jpg

The first creek bed crossing after heading down Chispa Rd (which also resulted in a do-over up and down the sand bank after running into a gate):

hFqfgi6.jpg

Here's a snapshot of that drone that was shadowing us as we neared the Rio Grande:

QPi3PRQ.jpg

By the way, Mark Johnson said he broke two bones in his leg and will have surgery tomorrow.

Last edited:

awesome, cant wait for new footage. [emoji16][emoji106][emoji965]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back