TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2017, 05:14 PM   #1
mojo
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nacogdoches
Posts: 26
lost rear brakes after washing

so I washed the KLR today brakes were fine after wards. stopped and ate lunch and when I got back on the bike the rear brakes were mushy ,no braking unless I mashed them all the down and then it would lock up the rear tire. so have I ruined the rear pads? any one had this happen ?
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 05:26 PM   #2
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,456
Re: lost rear brakes after washing

Washing the bike should not affect the brakes once the pads are dry. If they are REALLY wet, they might not grip the rotor with as much friction as normal. The same is true of car/truck brakes when you drive through deep water or a big puddle that splashes up into the brakes. I will sometimes ride the brakes for a few seconds after going through water to heat and dry the rotors for just that reason. If the bike had already dried and the brakes still felt mushy, then there is likely some other problem.

The KLR is not known for great brakes to begin with. The stock hoses are rubber and they will expand under pressure, requiring more force at the lever to achieve the desired braking force. The switch to stainless braided lines makes a VERY noticeable difference in this regard. Also, if air gets into the brake lines, it will compress and absorb braking pressure. Keeping the hoses properly bled makes a BIG difference. I have read of people that claimed their rotors were "glazed" and the use of Scotch-Brite pads removed this glaze. I've not tried that, but the idea behind it is that the glazing reduces the friction force between the pads and rotors, thus you get a "mushy" feel. The only time I ever experienced what might be called glazing is after riding in deep silt and the silt got between the rotor and pads where it melted. It made a very strong smell. The effect faded within about 30 miles of riding. Check your pads. There should be a few grooves in them. When the pads are worn, the grooves will be almost gone, kind of like tread on a tire wearing down to the wear mark between treads. New pads make a big difference because they don't have to move as far before engaging the rotor, thus less squeeze at the lever is required. If I recall correctly, the OEM pads for the KLR weren't all that great. Many people switch to the EBC-HH pads for better performance.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
sandman
 
sandman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 623
Re: lost rear brakes after washing

I would bleed them using a hand vacuum pump.... works great to get all air out and new fluid in.
__________________
04 YZ450F - 07 CRF450R - 00 DRZ400S
sandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 09:56 PM   #4
jhansen
 
jhansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Spring Texas
Posts: 6,278
Re: lost rear brakes after washing

You actually washed your KLR?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
Jeff Hansen
2005 FLSTCI (gone but not forgotten)
2006 Honda ST 1300
AMA #289603 Life member
Patriot Guard Rider
Ride like your life depends on it...because it does
---------------------------------------------------
jhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:14 AM   #5
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,456
Re: lost rear brakes after washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
You actually washed your KLR?
I wasn't going to say anything

I used to wash mine before I did any serious work on it. It just makes things easier...
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #6
mojo
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nacogdoches
Posts: 26
Re: lost rear brakes after washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen View Post
You actually washed your KLR?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
yes I washed it and learned a valuable lesson it wont happen again, it seemed like the thing to do at the time
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #7
Irishcoffee
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: East Texas
Posts: 2,277
Re: lost rear brakes after washing

When I use Simple Green to wash my bike it always leaves the brakes a little mushy. Whatever is in the SG that makes the bike shine is the culprit I think. But after I get them hot a few times they seem to be better. Never as good as original though.
Irishcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:20 PM   #8
Retiredtosoon
 
Retiredtosoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: spring branch
Posts: 472
Re: lost rear brakes after washing

what was the out come of this just curious?
Retiredtosoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:06 PM   #9
mojo
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nacogdoches
Posts: 26
Re: lost rear brakes after washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishcoffee View Post
When I use Simple Green to wash my bike it always leaves the brakes a little mushy. Whatever is in the SG that makes the bike shine is the culprit I think. But after I get them hot a few times they seem to be better. Never as good as original though.
I was using the car wash soap, bled the brakes seemed to have helped a little put few miles on it and they seem to be improving just strange it did not affect the front brakes
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 08:11 PM   #10
DaveC
 
DaveC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: On the fringe of the Hippoplex
Posts: 10,180
Re: lost rear brakes after washing

i was going to suggest you check the drain for your lost brakes, but its not like that type of lost.

pressure wash? always a bad idea,
__________________
Dave C
Still Riding the Texas Blackland Prairies on a DL1000 :-0

-\0/-
[]

"heck, that ain't far! Let's ride"
Quote:
"Such as thou art, so once was I
As I am now, so shalt thou be"
Inscribed on the tomb of The Black Prince , Edward of Woodstock, 1376
Quote:
Do the best you can, and don't take life too serious.
Will Rogers

Ride Naked!
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:12 PM   #11
mojo
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Nacogdoches
Posts: 26
Re: lost rear brakes after washing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredtosoon View Post
what was the out come of this just curious?
well I bled the brakes and kept riding seem to be getting better with miles but still do not feel the same ,back wheel wants to lock up guess its time for brake pads
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:12 PM   #12
prhaussies
 
prhaussies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: between richards and montgomery
Posts: 1,004
Re: lost rear brakes after washing

MotoSport has a special, buy a set of Galfer front pads and get a free rear set. They also sell all sorts of accessories and parts, $79.00 qualifies for free shipping. I have brakes pads, air & oil filters on the way for my KLX. rh
prhaussies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
brake question


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-18.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.16365 seconds with 10 queries