• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

pipes

Reaction score
Well I've had my bike, an 08 shadow spirit 750, for a couple week's now and put about 130 miles on it. I'm getting the itch to get new pipes. I really want a louder bike. I was looking at the Vance and Hines short shot staggered tonight. Thoughts or suggestions?

Thoughts..... Not sure what your goal is in making the Shadow louder. If you ride with a lot of bigger bikes and want to sound like them the 750 is not going to quite get there with any exhaust.

It's your ride, customize it to your taste. You might like it, or you might find the drone at cruising speed grates on you. The second thing is what I found when I tried louder exhausts on smaller bikes. Keep the stock pipes stored away in case you decide to swap back later.

Welcome to TWT, and welcome to motorcycling! :rider:

first, they don't save lives, if anything they cost lives.

second, if you keep the baffles in they are not to loud and actually sound pretty good, a former coworker put them on his shadow phantom.

a aftermarket fuel controller may be needed to help account for changes in back pressure.

Years ago a rider on one of our trips had a Shadow 750 with curved drag pipes. It sounded really good. Don't know what brand or style they were, but I recall the pipes were pointed to the ground which helped give it a deeper, ground pounding tone.

my only goal is i want it louder, it's not about having other drivers hear me or being as loud as my friend paul on his harley fatboy. Its simply that i want something more, especially since i wear a full face helmet... you have to feel a shadow 750 more than hear it with one of those helmets lol. And focus frenzy, you are the first person i've ever heard claim that. my bike mentors have been riding for 40 years and 47 years, all the others i've met too that are veteran motorcyclists claim that it either saves or doesn't make a difference, but i've never heard that loud pipes on a bike cost lives if anything.

These are the pipes I recommend
[ame="http://youtu.be/nD2GMLVdwxg"]Vance & Hines Short Shots on 2012 Shadow Phantom - YouTube[/ame]
When someone with loud pipes is slowly over taking someone on interstate the cage driver starts to hear a noise and is startled awake and they start looking around. The same thing applies to cages, you go where you look.

Also getting woke up at 4am by neighbor with loud bike that won't idle is enough to drive people to kill.

I like the factory pipes on my little ST13. They're very quiet, and I can actually hear the engine at highway speeds. On top of that, SWMBO doesn't know when I've come and gone..so that's a plus. :)

This means my neighbors should be happy I don't keep them awake like the guy down the street that rattle my windows when he goes by a 1:30AM. That, by itself, pisses me off and makes me want to jack his bike. "Loud pipes" ...do not... "save lives". The noise is mostly directed behind you, and the only thing you'll really do is irritate the people trying to get past you so they don't have to hear it any longer.

But mod yours how you want. It's yours, after all. I prefer quiet.

I found a video of my shadow ACE 750 with the open pipes. Looked just like short shots, but really it was V/H staggered pipes that the previous owner cut just inside where the heat shields ended. Tuned the carb to run open exhaust and that was it. Essentially open drag pipes. It was loud, backfired, burbled, and sounded awesome. If I got another shadow 750 thats what I would do again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ruWRmmNTcY&feature=youtu.be

honda3a.jpg

I have the Short Shots on my 05 HD Dyna Wide Glide. Nice sound with the baffles in. Not sure what they sound like on a smaller engine. Take the baffles out and they are obnoxious at best.

Back