• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Getting mugged (SmugMug)

Tracker

post tenebras lux
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
After battling Zenfolio and Google photos for a few years, and test driving my own hosting site, I've decided SmugMug is my best option. :giveup:

Part of this motivation is to recharge, stoke up my photography efforts again, hopefully with a little more realistic expectations.

and
Hopefully, no more broken links.

Moving 10 years worth of photos around and organizing it all is proving to be a little daunting.

Last edited:
I am still with Smugmug after a dozen years or so now. When they raised their prices a couple of years ago, I will admit I thought of moving off its platform but in the end I stayed put.

Good luck on the transition of 10 years worth of work, that can't be fun.

I've been with them for a long time, but never migrated my images from Photobucket until a few months before Photobucket changed their pricing model. Just dumb luck on the timing. However, I've never made an attempt to update ride report links for those 8 year and older reports. I guess if I were a motivated guy and since I have access to the twt database I could run some sql commands to fix them all. It wouldn't be hard since I maintained the same folder structure. Hmmm...no, not worth it. :-)

I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I did a slight remodel a few months ago on Smugmug and got my own domain set up. But I'd like to get a more professional looking landing page and have all the other stuff tucked away.

I moved there after the photobucket debacle. Been a happy customer ever since.

I had a fairly well developed SmugMug site, then tried Zenfolio when SmugMug raised prices and Zen was significantly cheaper, but now Zen appears to be more expensive, at least at the level I plan to play at.
Hard to justify trying to run/manage your own hosted site for $38/yr when you can get SmugMug's Power plan for $72/yr. You can burn up $40 worth of time real quick trying to manage things behind the scenes in cPanel.

I feel your pain... my woes last night on the test site were all because of cPanel.... :doh:

I hereby recind any offers for assistance. :giveup: :zen: :rofl:

Used to hate it when our sales people would sell cpanel and then expect us to manage the customer sites with cpanel. Just give my my command line please and leave the logs alone.

Used to hate it when our sales people would sell cpanel and then expect us to manage the customer sites with cpanel. Just give my my command line please and leave the logs alone.

CLI is great for folks that already know what they are doing... cPanel is for people like me that know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to really know what they are doing :-P

I can get to the command line on the new site, but don't know if changes I make there would conflict with what was done in cpanel. And I don't know cpanel at all. Fortunately Scott found someone local to help him with the initial set up.

And back to Tracker's comment. Yes, paying a bit extra for a nice mix of simplicity and freedom to tweak is nice.

I like hosting my own. Joomla Content Managment System is free and stable. An Godaddy has unlimited data and transfer for non-commercial sites. But that is just me.

Last edited:
Do not eff with the CLI if you are using CPanel unless you really really really know what you are doing. CPanel is the devil.

Looks good to me.

trying to best sort how to present:
  1. a "pro" side. need to crank up the brutal quality filter another notch.
  2. share with friends (a mix of quality level)
  3. share with family (reams of "camera roll" shots that are mostly not professional)

for now, I have unlisted public links for the 2nd two parts.

I have too many galleries that are visible, but I do have some, like Family, that are unlisted. I'll need to sort through carefully to make sure I don't break recent ride report links by removing images that are in use.

Back