• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Scorpion EXO-500

Downs

Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Seems like an interesting helmet. I've always been a fan of the internal visor helmets though most of the internal visors are usually not dark enough for me. With the Scorpions you can change out the internal ones.

This also seems to have most of the EXO-1000 features but at the 700 price range and also lighter than the 1000. That that seemed to be a big gripe with the 1000s with some folks was the weight of the 1000.

Also not a big deal to me but it doesn't hold a SNELL cert. just an ECE and DOT cert which is good enough in my book.

Anyone buy on yet? I plan to pick one up as a replacement for my EXO-700 which is going on 2 years old and getting a bit beat up.

Alright picked one up yesterday.

Put about 100 miles on it today.

Initial Impressions:

a)It was chilly today and this helmet is kinda drafty even with the chin curtain installed. I was able to block most wind with my hand by placing it under my chin. So if you wear a neck gaiter during the winter this shouldn't be a problem

b)Inflatable cheek pads are a nice touch. I'm not sure how long this feature will last though. I'm pretty tough on helmets and mine see MANY hours of use between autocross and motorcycle riding. Guess if it ever fails you can hear me ***** about it here lol. It does take the helmet from a good fit to a perfect fit though :)

c)Internal "speedview" sunvisor. This is honestly the main reason I was attracted to this helmet. I REALLY hate having to lug around two shields all the time. I never know when I'll be out in the dark or bad weather so I always carried both light and dark shields with me. My eyes are kinda sensitive to sunlight so just running with the clear one isn't an option and I HATE wearing glasses under my helmet. :/ Also most helmets come with a very lightly smoked internal visor and there is usually no way to replace it. Not so with this helmet (or the 900 or 1000 for that matter) you can get different tints from Light smoke to dark smoke to blue lol.

d)Liner. Pretty comfy as most Scorpions I've tried have been. Does need some break in hours on it as my EXO-700 needed though.

e)Sizing. I had to get one size larger than I normally wear in a Scorpion for this one to fit. The neck opening in the helmet is fairly small :/ Not sure why it takes a little more work to get the helmet on than with my 700.

f)My comms. The Sena fit on the helmet in about 5 minutes. It's whisper quiet as far as wind noise goes when talking on the phone or bike to bike to other folks. It even has speaker pockets :D A nice touch if I do say so.

g)noise. Can't really comment on this one. It's just as quiet as my 700 but I wear earplugs when going anywhere past running into town so I'm not sure if it's really that quiet.

h)waterproofness. As everyone could tell it was raining today. One of the complaints with the EXO-100 that I've been reading is water intrusion behind the visor due to the weird cutout that they put at the top. None of the vents leaked and the visor didn't leak either. It stayed very well sealed up.

i)Aerodynamics. The helmet seems to flow though the air better than my 700 did. There are some shape differences with the shell between the 700 and the 500 I assume this is what makes that difference. I don't have to exert my neck as much when my head is in the airflow as I did with the 700.

Some pics. I've got helmet stickers already on order so expect to see them on this helmet also ;)

227245_2027666337421_1416956060_32381416_4138376_n.jpg

223359_2027694298120_1416956060_32381418_6079635_n.jpg

227410_2027700498275_1416956060_32381420_1763986_n.jpg

Nice review. I'm gonna look at the new 1100 when it comes out to replace my 700. I'm not a fan of the internal visor. It hits my line of sight in a weird spot. But I also don't mind wearin glasses under my helmet.

Back